Pro Wrestling Only

[1987-11-24-WWF-MSG, NY] Glamour Girls (Judy Martin & Leilani Kai) vs Jumping Bomb Angels

Superstar Sleeze

WWF Womens Tag Team Champions Glamour Girls vs Jumping Bomb Angels - MSG 11/24/87

Holy shit! Hart Foundation & British Bulldogs eat your hearts out, this is how you do a workrate match in the 1980s. You expect the MSG crowd to shit all over this, but they come out so blazing hot that all four women are immediately over with the Garden. I know watched this  for Tag Teams Back Again, but this match blew me away all over again. It was the perfect combination of workrate and babyface/heel dynamics. I have no clue which Japanese girl is which and in fairness I have a hard time keeping track of the Glamour Girls. I just know Judy Martin as the woman with the Kick of Fear! The babyface shine is so amazing and in 1987 it was  downright revolutionary. This is my point that it is not about the moves, it is about the energy and emotion. The moves the Jumping Bomb Angels used here would be passe now, but what makes this timeless is the energy and excitement with which they are hit. Those flying high knees and crossbodys are hit with such vigor that you are pumping your fist with all these New Yorkers. New York loses its shit for the top rope kneedrop and then top rope lucha armdrag. It was exhilarating. The Glamour Girls were great at stooging and acting discombobulated with all the powdering. They were also good at attacking first and forcing the Jumping Bomb Angels to overcome their offense. The transition to heat was great with one of the Jumping Bomb Angels missing a HUGE Top Rope Senton. The Glamour Girls were the perfect heels once they got control they stuck with hair pulling and choking.  This heat segment had all the trappings of a great tag team match. Man, New York lost its shit on the false hot tag. They were pissed. They got even louder when one Jumping Bomb Angel saved the other from the Scorpion Deathlock. The ref held her back and that Angel was just going off on the ref. The crowd was molten hot! I love how into the match the Japanese girls were they. They really sold their emotional investment. Lots of good hope spots that kept you believing. I liked the ankle pick and all the roll ups. The best were the bridges out of the pins it really put over the strength and athleticism of the Jumping Bomb Angels. The Glamour Girls go for a JBA Sammich but the Japanese girl ducks and The Glamour Girls collides. HOT TAG! OH SHIT! Its on! I loved the stereo bridges out of the pin attempts and then throwing the Glamour Girls together. DOUBLE MISSILE DROPKICK! MSG LOST THEIR FUCKING MINDS! I AM RIGHT THERE WITH THEM! JBA COUNTS WITH HER OWN HAND! 1-2-3! IT DOESNT COUNT! 1-2-JUDY MARTIN BREAKS IT UP AND POWERBOMB! POWER-FUCKING-BOMB! 1-2-3 for the Glamour Girls! WOW! 

There is some sloppiness in the JBA's offense and the rollup constantly being the hope spot got a little old, but still HOLY SHIT WOW! The energy level was great, I loved the heat segment and that finish run is one of the best all time. This is a pretty famous match, but if you have not watched it, you got to do it. It is definitely one of the 100 best WWF matches of all time. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1987-11-24-WWF-MSG, NY] Glamour Girls (Judy Martin & Leilani Kai) vs Jumping Bomb Angels
  • 2 years later...

If the male ego wasn't so fragile, The Jumping Bomb Angels could have been one of WWF's top attractions. The fans give all four women zero reaction during the introductions, but the crowd is soon won over by the sheer workrate of the JBAs. They rush their opponents with such energy and they were fighting at a pace not seen in the WWF at this point (with the exception of Steamboat/Savage). The Glamour Girls weren't the most interesting wrestlers when they were working over the JBAs, but all the big transitional spots look good. The finishing stretch is action-packed but has a few flaws. Firstly, the referee is kicked by one of the heels and he decides to not disqualify, even though you could have gotten DQ'd in 1987 WWF by just looking at the referee funny. There's also way too much time where all four women were in the ring and it takes me out of the match when they buried the referee like that. The Glamour Girls managed to steal this one after a nasty powerbomb. ★★★★

• 7 months later...

One of the more prolific MSG matches. Lord Alfred Hayes absolutely puts the JBA over as being a great tag team unit, surprisingly. He calls them extraordinary, just showing that Vince was clearly in on the women's division at the time and wanted to make it work. And within seconds into the match, the crowd goes from silence to going crazy at the initial shine spot by Tateno against Lelanai Kai. Judy Martin is able to slow things down a bit when she initially comes in but also gets overwhelmed by  Yamazaki's speed. The Glamour Girls are able to gain the advantage and work over the Angels while the New York work rallies behind the challengers. The Glamour Girls absolutely do pull their weight in these matches with both great heel work and wrestling skills. They are able to grind down whichever one of the JBA are in the ring with stomps and other basic offence while being able to bump around just enough to accommodate the Jumping Bomb Angels. In this match, Yamazaki is the one who is being cut off, who does a great job at selling and being sympathetic. The crowd loved her traditional Joshi bridge out of a pinning position and every sunset flip made for an effective nearfall. Tateno's work on the apron is so good and adds a lot to the face work. Her reaction to the false tag was awesome and she was so desperate to get the tag, that she was practically falling over the ropes which the crowd bites on. The melee at the end with both times in the ring had the place rocking. Tremendous, smooth double team work leading to the Glamour Girls just getting the win after a powerbomb. Excellent tag team match. The first tag of the night and will undoubtedly be the best. ****1/4