Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-01-02-BJW] Daisuke Sekimoto vs Ryota Hama

Jmare007

Coming into the match, Hama has beaten Sekimoto and Okabayashi with the Ookido press (just a simple splash) in the build up to this, so Daisuke and Korakuen know he has to avoid that shit like his life depended on it. I love how Sekimoto sells the big moment from the get go, he makes you feel like he's gonna have his work cut out for him, and indeed it is. It's basically 15 minutes of "how the fuck is Daisuke gonna pull this one off?", with Hama doing a great job as the big fat ball of lard that can't be moved. There's a couple of incredible nearfalls that had Korakuen going insane, and the last few minutes with the whole place rallying behind the champ was just the cherry on top. Loved this match, Sekimoto was such an awesome underdog, his facial expressions were incredible. Legit MOTYC.

• GSR changed the title to [2019-01-02-BJW] Daisuke Sekimoto vs Ryota Hama

Really didn't expect to like this as much as I did. So smartly worked with Hama using his size and weight to keep on top, Sekimoto playing the old school face, constantly trying to slam and over power Hama but failing. Great storytelling that ended with a logical finish that made sense. Sekimoto's facials and selling was top notch too. Sekimoto's title reign off to a good start. ***3/4

This was what you would exactly expect from a Hama match in 2019. Hama is a very niche wrestler who can only wrestle a certain style, so I'm glad they only used his strengths here against Sekimoto who brought the intensity to the match. I can't lie and say I wasn't hoping for more though. This was far from a bad match at least, ***1/2.

Legend-mode Daisuke Sekimoto has been one of my favorite things in the last year or so. He's simplified his style but he pours a lot of emotion and feeling into every little hold and slam. Hama is limited in what he can do but Sekimoto makes a little feel like a lot. The way he sells that butt splash in the corner like death, with a worried Okabayashi on the outside, was awesome. This isn't as good as the 2016 match between Hama and Okabayashi but it's still a pretty great match. Hama truly is the immovable object and Sekimoto plays the old-school fighting champion so well. Favorite match of the year so far (of the two matches I've seen). 

Sometimes less is indeed more. As already mentioned here, simple yet effective story of Sekimoto overpowered and fighting an uphill battle against the larger Hama. Just the simple stuff like Hama's "Really?" face during the test of strength really drove the narrative. Sekimoto is a great babyface and really thrives in this type of setting. 

***1/2.