Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-03-16-OTT-Scrappermania 5] WALTER vs Jordan Devlin

paul sosnowski

• GSR changed the title to [2019-03-16-OTT-Scrappermania 5] WALTER vs Jordan Devlin

Like their first match, this didn't feel like a MOTYC to me, but still a really great match. This was NXT "sports entertainment" style storytelling with a complete over-dramatic emphasis on Devlin "knocking out" WALTER which was baffling to me to think that's even close to realistic. Fortunately, the actual structure of the match was well laid out as Devlin didn't give WALTER an inch to dominate him. Excellent payoff to a storyline that I thought still had more time to tell, ****1/2.

Currently my MOTY but will probs constantly swap places with Balor-Lesnar all year. What a fucking fantastic pay off. nivvad said that this was an NXT-style match and well I rated three NXT matches last year with 5 stars so that explains my bias. Thought they wonderfully paid off all the stuff going on in the build, bolstered by those gorgeous video packages. I loved Jordan's punches and thought it was great to see a pissed WALTER go after his hand pretty relentlessly. So many great moments like Devlin finally hitting the Package Piledriver only for WALTER to roll out of the ring. I even enjoyed the more character moments like the stuff with the flag and the belt. I could even look past the very indie-style block-the-heel's way out spot. Hell one of my favorite matches ever in Nigel-Bryan has a block-the-heel spot. This was awesome. What a satisfying moment with a crowd that was ready for it and gave it their all.

The atmosphere was on fire and wanted Devlin to win badly. Another fantastic performance from Jordan Devlin, really digging him in the role of the no nonsense fiery babyface. He started this off wasting no time going for the kill trying to put away WALTER quickly. His eagerness costed him a little hitting his right hand on the ringpost (limiting the knockout punch) and that's when WALTER's onslaught on Devlin's hand took over. The storytelling in this was brilliant with Devlin finally hitting the punch with little effect and even pulling a Goldberg/Raven with the fans not letting WALTER not escape. When Devlin hit that package pildriver and got the win the crowd went mental. This delivered on all levels and is a MOTYC for sure.

Do I consider this match to be better than their previous match? Nah, I don't think it's better. I think the match was really good but lacked some of the drama and big fight atmosphere that the other match had. But that's not to take anything away from the match. I think the match is quite good. Loved the quick start with Devlin going right for WALTER with his punches, him being a bit overzealous with his offence and WALTER taking advantage, gaining control and working on the hand of Devlin. The selling of the hand wasn't great throughout the match. It wasn't bad but could have been much better. Loved Walter beating down Devlin and getting all the heat as it also meant the crowd got more behind Devlin as a result, if that was possible, allowing for a bigget reaction when he made his comebacks. And Devlin made some damn good ones too. The spot where he was relentlessly locking on the rare naked choke was fantastic. The finishing stretch was a bit of a disappointment which is the only major flaw I would have with the match. Really dislike the heel champion walking out of the ring spot as it's usually done in a clunky and awkward way; as it was done in this match. Sure it allowed Devlin to get his second wind for the finish but I feel that it could've been done much better. Nevertheless, this was great. ****1/4

Their first singles meeting was one of the very best matches of 2018, and they built the story absolutely fantastically, so the expectations for this one were VERY high, and because of that, it ended up being a little bit disappointing, but very, very good at the same time. Liked the start with them teasing a quick Devlin win right away, only for WALTER to survive & then start unleashing on him. The handwork was awesome - it's a shame it didn't become a more focal part of the match, as it was kind of forgotten after a while. The Irish flag deal was great as well; the image of WALTER wrapping Devlin into it, and then stomping him & the flag was fantastic. The WALTER DQ & count-out walkout tease was done really well too, and Devlin's one last adrenaline comeback after that to finish the match off was superb. So yeah, there was lots to love here, but it just didn't have the magic, the shock, the danger & the pure emotion/feel of their 1st encounter. ***1/2