Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-03-19-AJPW] Strong BJ (Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi) vs Violent Giants (Shuji Ishikawa & Suwama)

Jmare007

All Japan World Tag Team titles on the line.

A worthy successor to the classic they had in January, though not on THAT level. This one doesn't have the emotional rollercoaster vibe the first one had, and it was more about bomb throwing, which kinda makes sense because things had to escalate from their previous encounter. The roles are reversed on the first third of the match, with Strong BJ dominating this time and working over Suwama, and Shuji having to be the hot tag and the fired up one. Korakuen loves Strong BJ though, so even tough they are the invaders, they are still over and never get booed - they didn't try to get booed either though, except for like 2 times they choked Suwama,but they left it at that -, they were really into Yuji and that's awesome because that just means his Champion Carnival run is gonna be fucking amazing. Once Ishikawa does the hot tag the match becomes evenly matched and they just trade bombs and strikes until the end. There are some nice little touches, like Suwama throwing himself to the canvas to avoid Daisuke's german suplex, but him getting deadlifted anyway, a fucked up Shuji lending a hand to avoid the double german suplex, or both Sekimoto and Suwama screaming and cheering up their partners to get the job done and get the W. Still, after an amazing nearfall that I wont spoil, the match kinda fizzles to the end, it's like Korakuen didn't really want a title change, lol. This is more than worth a watch, 25 minutes of dope hoss action, not a classic, but a great match anyways.

• GSR changed the title to [2019-03-19-AJPW] Strong BJ (Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi) vs Violent Giants (Shuji Ishikawa & Suwama)

Absolutely lives up to their classic in January. Hell I wouldn't argue if you thought this one was better. The one thing I think is kind of lacking compared to their first match is a cohesive story. Both teams were faces this time around, but I would've liked BJ to act a bit more "invader-ish" or something. Sure I love watching big dudes pummel and throw the fuck out of each other, but at the same time it can be a little mind numbing if that's all it is. That's not exclusive to just this type of match though. Don't get the wrong idea, this was perfect for what it needed to be, ****3/4.

A hair below their MOTYC in BJW but still an excellent clash of the titans. I couldn't help but feel things started off a little bit slower than usual ( I'm really tired of the obligatory crowd brawling spots in these matches) but once they kicked into second gear they really took off. Excellent effort by all four but Okabayashi and Ishikawa felt like the stars here. Their exchanges (while going a bit too long near the end) had tons of impact and intensity. Suwama and Sekimoto were great in their own right by breaking up the pins and evening the odds. And extra points to Suwama for throwing in a Tenryu enziguri.

****1/2.

Definitely liked this better than their BJW match from January. They don't do it in an overly flashy, classic way, but Sekimoto & Okabayashi do some subtle invader heelish stuff, and I loved it. The stuff on the outside that lead to the Suwama FIP portion of the match was fantastic, and then big Shuji's hot tag that followed was great as well. Shortly after that, the match essentially kicks into it's 2nd, finishing gear, and there's PLENTY of awesome, BEEFY action to keep me interested. I won't lie though, I did think it overstayed it's welcome a bit, but overall it was really fun & the build to it was pretty amazing, so it's no biggie. ****

I thought this was better than the BJW match actually! Thought the pace kept up much better in this one and they really had me biting on some of the nearfalls towards the end. They basically never let up. All stiff strikes and hard suplexes and just all that big man beefy, beefy goodness. I'm still not too familiar with all four guys, so that's about the best I can give you for now. Altogether, just had a great time watching this.

****1/2