Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-03-24-NJPW-New Japan Cup: Day Twelve] Kazuchika Okada vs SANADA

paul sosnowski

• GSR changed the title to [2019-03-24-NJPW-New Japan Cup: Day Twelve] Kazuchika Okada vs SANADA

This was very much an Okada for all the positives and negatives that that entails. The first ten minutes or so of pretty lifeless mat wrestling was incredibly boring. The only point that made it worthwhile was seeing SANADA put Okada in the Paradise Lock and kick him in the ass. After that, things kicked into the typical Okada formula complete with the quick brawl on the outside and all the transitions that come with it.

But then the finishing stretch kicks in and oh dear god is that where Okada can really shine. Not only did they trade some beautiful near falls but Okada created some small moments that are really worth your while. Clinging to SANADA's leg to keep him from hitting the Moonsault? Such a small, subtle bit of work to show his vulnerability. Then that beautiful climbing up the turnbuckles Bret-Austin counter to the Skull End only to turn it straight into a Tombstone? Fucking beautiful. Excellent finishing stretch with a lackluster, lagging first half.

Cut off ten minutes from the start and this could have given the Ishii match a run for its money but let's face it, there was probably no topping that banger so soon after.

****1/2

The match picked up after the slow start with meh grappling, which made sense given Okada was working on the neck of SANADA (which is weaked for the rainmaker) but it's mostly just used for padding, but that's par for the course with most Japanese wrestling MEs these days. This counts for not only NJ but All Japan as well. Loved the bomb heavy closing stretch as always though. Okada really knows how to get the most out of the nearfalls and SANADA is getting better at them too. Some really top reversals too but there was a few awkward reversals here and there but this is me mostly nitpicking. I know people role their eyes at things like Okada holding on to SANADA's leg because it can come across as being melodramatic but I felt like it worked here so much. Great spot and really good match - could've been a better one if the grappling was a bit more engaging. ***3/4

I thought this match was quite similar to their match at New Beginning last year. Sort of tepid first act but incredibly dramatic and engaging second act. Some awesome reversals and exchanges with a ton of emphasis placed on the danger of the Skull End. One thing I don't think Okada gets enough credit for is how much he sells for his opponents. Sure, his victory is usually a bygone conclusion, but there are those moments where you think "Oh my God, is he actually going to lose?". This match was full of those moments. And SANADA again proved he is on the same level of NJPW's regular cast of main event workers.

Ultimately, this didn't need to be 30+ minutes but the closing stretch really helped everything feel earned. ****1/4

An incredible finale to what is probably the best Cup ever? Not only that, but I think this was SANADA's best singles performance I've ever seen. There was a reason why he was treated as potential "Ace" material back in the day, and his face performance here showed that. Of course he was the hometown boy, but he definitely earned that crowd support by not backing down from Okada. Besides the generic match formula with nothing happening in the first third of the match, this told a wonderful story of SANADA taking Okada to the limit and once again getting close to taking that win. New Japan is Okada's world in the end, so there was no one else who could've been in the MSG main event, ****3/4.

The beginning hold exchanging wasn't the most compelling stuff, but I still liked it - SANADA especially brought some charm into things & him locking Okada in the Paradise Lock was legitimately an awesome moment. Then there's some dull stuff with Okada on top, and then shortly the match becomes your usual Okada big match counterfestival - you either like it, or you don't care for it, and unfortunately I am on the latter boat. *1/2