Pro Wrestling Only

DVD #1: Fantastics vs Dirty White Boys

Loss

Solid TV main event, as most of Mid-South's TV main events were. Neither team gets too much offense in, so the result is a pretty even match with a hot finish.

It seems weird for Ross to make a mention of how the previous mach went to a draw, only for them to leave maybe seven minutes for the rematch.

Guest FlairPinnedMe

Yeah I'd defintely like to see these guys in a longer match.

It was a solid match, but I'd wished it went on a bit longer. No one really gets hurt by the flash pin, either.

Okay, I really apperciate this being included on the set, because it adds to the diversity which is what makes this project so damn fun, but no bullshit all this really makes me want to do is watch Tommy Rogers in ECW even more. I could be wrong, but I suspect if we go back and watch Rogers in ECW we are going to discover the guy was way better than virtually everyone in the States at that point, and this was years after his prime and long after anyone gave a shit. Match is a fun tv match, Fulton takes a couple of nasty bumps which is more than you usually get from him, Denton is nasty stiff and Rogers offense is insanely crisp. God damn he moves around really good in the ring. Anyhow, I really want to see a bunch of ECW fancams with Rogers now and if I wasn't so lazy my next review project that no one will give a shit about would be trying to rediscover Rogers as the best worker in the U.S. during that last ECW run.

I remember thinking Rogers/Candido at November To Remember '97 was pretty good at the time, but was booked pretty badly. I haven't seen that match in years.

I'm pretty sure Rogers also had a WCW Saturday Night run in 2000.

• 3 weeks later...

This was my first look at the Dirty White Boys, they seemed like a solid team. I'd have liked to see a bit longer match, but both teams did pretty well with what they had. And the one thing I always liked about Mid South/UWF TV Main Events was all the hype about how there was only so much TV time left, it was a great tool to help get the TV audience into the match.

It also led to more pin attempts and a faster pace than you'd get from most house show matches. The wrestlers wanted to get a televised win where everyone could see it and knew time was limited, so they took more chances. It was also a really good explanation for why a match that went 6-8 minutes on TV would take 20-25 minutes on a house show.

Yeah, I agree with everyone here that this was a fun, fast paced TV match that did a good job of leaving people with the feeling of wanting to see these guys go at it again in a longer match.

• 1 month later...

It used to be a real treat to get a complete match between two feuding wrestlers or teams as your TV main event. A lot of shows used the "... time is running out, we have to go!" tactic to try and get people to buy tickets to see how the match will end. It's one of the things that was great about Bill Watts' shows: They'd deliver on the match that they'd promised. I love the hoisted on their own petard ending. It's a fine thing to have honest, athletic, hard-working good guys fighting mean, cheating bad guys and to have that dynamic be the most important thing in the match.