Pro Wrestling Only

Grilling JR

On 5/15/2023 at 9:15 PM, The Thread Killer said:

So apparently the most recent episode of JR’s show ends up being a bit of an unexpected shock. The topic was supposed to be how JR broke into the business, but during the episode Jim Ross decided to basically spill the beans and name names…and he supposedly tells some harrowing tales about Mid South in the 70’s.

The episode apparently deals with racism and sexual assault, and it is so shocking that Conrad Thompson had to introduce the episode with a disclaimer.

I am listening to it right now, and I want to get through it, because rumour has it it might get pulled down due to the controversy.

They ended up calling the episode: “The Dark Side of Mid South.”

I’m going to go listen to this right now. Thanks for the info.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, justinsdrown said:

40 minutes in and Conrad has already been stunned silent several times.

Yeah, having listened to it myself…it wasn’t necessarily new information, but it was still kind of strange to hear JR being so upfront about it. Bob Sweetan was Canadian and after he died, it hit the news what kind of person he was, so like I said…the information was out there already. But Conrad’s shows don’t usually have any substance to them. It’s all imitations, dick jokes and ad reads. So that made this episode a little different, to say the least.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know. I want to give Conrad the benefit of the doubt here and just assume he hadn't heard this stuff before. But none of it was new or shocking to fans of the territories.

JR being a young boy and personal assistant was more fascinating (to me) than any of the supposed "dark" stuff. And even that's been covered elsewhere, especially in depth during JR's early guest spots over on the Cornette Experience back around 2013 or 14.

The Sweetan stuff was disturbing, no doubt. But that and Grizzly have been hammered home before. And Murdoch's fairly well known. That was really all that came up. The rest of the material certainly made for solid listening, don't get me wrong. I always enjoy it when Conrad does things like this, the Houston episode of Something To Wrestle, or Jeff's Rookie Year over on My World. It's far better than the usual weekly Attitude Era coverage he conjures together.

But, all in all, the disclaimer felt a bit overblown. Maybe I'm just a dinosaur when it comes to the woke culture stuff though. I'm listening to a podcast about 1970s territorial wrestling. I'm not going to get outraged or traumatized over hearing how Dickie Murdoch doesn't identify as nonbinary or whatever the fuck.

Oh. Also, if you want to hear these kinds of stories told through a warmer and more friendlier filter, then I suggest any random episode of Brisco and Bradshaw. They've told every Dusty and Dickie tale under the sun. And it's always done in super fun fashion, which is what you want from this stuff. It's not true crime. It's rasslin. It just strikes me as hypocritical to have these guys as your hosts and tour guides, then pretend to be ashamed or embarrassed for their behaviors.

You clearly want the road stories. You want the laughs. You want the downloads. But you want to discourage it and disown it to death for fear of losing woke points. It's silly.

And let's not forget - Conrad is the same guy who had Bruce Prichard basically do a watch along and perform a comedy routine over footage of Sunny fucking and farting for a payday. The shit Conrad flippantly said & did JUST SIX YEARS AGO are things he'd never dare put out there today. So it's a bit much to have him act so naive and ignorant about how the times and cultural climates have changed after 50 years.

• 3 months later...

I want this podcast to be better than it is, and I don't think there's anyone to blame for why it's not. I think what holds it back is that JR doesn't have Jim Cornette's recall, nor does he have Bruce's ability to just BS stuff he doesn't know. Instead, JR repeats the same stories and constantly gets his timelines mixed up. It's not JR's fault because Cornette's recall is freakish, but JR has been in multiple really interesting places during a lot of super fascinating times, so I'm always left feeling frustrated or just wanting more.

On 10/30/2023 at 3:46 AM, Dooley said:

I think the biggest issue is that JR just flat out refuses to do any sort of show prep. Which is his right, but leads to the problems you've mentioned. 

That's definitely part of it. It's clear that if they're focusing on a specific show or something similar, JR doesn't go back and re-watch the show, angle, match, etc. I know he has a lot going on with traveling a lot, the new book coming out and still going back and forth with doctors for cancer and sciatica, so I imagine his schedule isn't great, and it's why I can't go too nuts over it.