Pro Wrestling Only

Grilling JR

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dusty episode was really good. It doesn't take much to see the similarities between Jim Ross and Virgil Runnels as men, generationally and geographically speaking but with regards to the business as well. There's a big revelation about Dusty's own Bell's Palsy that never connected with me until I heard Jim talk about it. 

Hearing Jim speak about the WWF run was interesting in it's own way, in terms of how "degraded" Dusty was in terms of how he was used. I didn't realize that Vince fired him too, I just figured he was offered a position in WCW and came back more on his own terms. 

On 6/23/2019 at 5:47 PM, flyonthewall2983 said:

The Dusty episode was really good. It doesn't take much to see the similarities between Jim Ross and Virgil Runnels as men, generationally and geographically speaking but with regards to the business as well. There's a big revelation about Dusty's own Bell's Palsy that never connected with me until I heard Jim talk about it. 

Dusty did an angle in Florida where he had facial paralysis, which now looks like it was just cover for a legit issue. 

If nothing else, this last episode discussing the Draft proved that JR is not taking the Bruce Prichard route.  JR clearly doesn't give a shit at this point about burning any bridges with WWE, so if he has an opinion he's going to share it, regardless of how it sounds.  I don't agree with all of his opinions, but it's refreshing (and quite humorous) how blunt he's being.  For example, Conrad reads the news item about WWE re-hiring D-Lo Brown.  Conrad asks JR if he thinks Vince did that for appearances, to try and prove WWE isn't racist.  JR doesn't miss a beat before he responds "yes."  You think Bruce would have admitted that, even before he went back to work with Vince?  No way.  He was always hedging his bets.  Bruce didn't mind admitting when he thought a particular match or angle was bad, but we've gotten more honest answers out of JR in a month than we got out of Bruce in a year.

• 4 weeks later...

"The vodkas had... commanded his spirit" is a tremendous fucking line & one I will try to work into a conversation now.

There's some decent discussion about Sid & Corny this week, too. I dug the contrasts/comparisons among Cornette, Heyman, and Heenan from JR's point of view as well.

Conrad is a Sid mark, and it was amusing hearing him try to pin down exactly what it was about Sid that got him so over so instantaneously - only for JR to proclaim that it was simply IT. Magnetic, charismatic presence. The look. The aura. The showmanship.

And JR summed things up nicely when he admitted he wasn't so sure if it was a deliberate effort from Sid or just an organic, natural thing for him. Good stuff.

Tangents are ok. JR repeating stories on a weekly basis or arguing something no one's arguing is less so. There are times where he'll be on such a string/pattern of logic that he'll willfully not understand something too, like the Steamboat/Luger No DQ stip and how Luger consistently dodging it wasn't because of creative team upheaval but instead as a way to get heat on newly turned Luger for looking cowardly and wanting (then using) the easy out.

1 hour ago, BigBadMick said:

Plus, addressing criticisms from twitter on the show (that have nothing to do with the discussion) is annoying.

Yeah, I noticed JR seemed already salty about stuff regarding to AEW and the new generation of workers/fans... 

I thought the last few shows were ok, but nothing must-hear at all. 

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Tangents are ok. JR repeating stories on a weekly basis or arguing something no one's arguing is less so. There are times where he'll be on such a string/pattern of logic that he'll willfully not understand something too, like the Steamboat/Luger No DQ stip and how Luger consistently dodging it wasn't because of creative team upheaval but instead as a way to get heat on newly turned Luger for looking cowardly and wanting (then using) the easy out.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed the weird criticisms of the Luger/Steamboat angle. But JR not comprehending that it was part of the program didn't bother me nearly as much as Conrad being too lazy or apathetic to even correct him.

If you are like me and put the speed up on Spotify you can listen to the whole podcast in a little over an hour. I find that helps me actually pay more attention because sometimes they just talk so slow. I can't stand it. So I speed it up so I can finish their weekly show in way to and from work over 2 days.

I enjoy the podcast. I have no issues about his tangents or anything of that nature. Ross seems like a straight shooter that doesn't hide stuff and just tells you like it is. Does he get off subject...sure....but that's the joys of talking to older heads.....I don't know many of you have conversations with older people but I do and they constantly tell the same story or they go off subject....joys of the human mind but this isn't scientific though.....I enjoy this podcast but not everyone will like it because of that was the case it would be a boring pod....I like that he can go off subject and do a Jim Barnett impersonation without Conrad asking for it......then again I am a HUGE Ross fan so maybe me being biased changes my opinion....who knows.....

Maybe I'm just getting bored with pro-wrestling podcast... I feel Conrad redoing the shows he already did with Brucie does not help, because there's a sense of "I've heard the same stories already" with the Canadian Stampede & SummerSlam 97 shows. Last show I really enjoyed was the GAB 90. Maybe they should only do WCW shows...

I was trying to make sense of why the heck they were focusing so much on 97. It's because he's building to a big Survivor Series 97 show, I'm guessing. 

Part of the problems is that the most interesting thing with these shows aren't the shows themselves but the little news bits from the month that JR then comments on. That becomes less interesting if you're doing a bunch of PPVs in a row instead of jumping around.

I don't know if I was just in a grumpy mood at the gym this morning or what, but the Harley tribute felt like a fucking chore to me. Anyone enjoy it? Maybe I was still half asleep or something.

It's the first podcast since Bischoff's Pillman debacle that I've actually turned off and switched up about halfway through. The two shows don't really have any actual parallels in terms of why I found them to be boring or uninteresting - it just so happens that's the last time I remember feeling so disinterested by a podcast.

I eventually started slinging some weights around and woke up. Still couldn't go back to it though. Had to just stick with my Pandora playlist instead. Maybe it was the constant jump cuts or just the fact that every Harley story had been told elsewhere & usually with more enthusiasm or flow to it. I don't know.

I enjoyed it enough, if only because I felt like we had been starting to slip into Grumpy Old Man/Preachy JR and he had a different tone for this show. However, I totally agree on the jump cuts being rough. At least tease them/discuss them.

• 2 weeks later...

It was refreshing to hear something from this time period. I know they covered JR's draft awhile back, but they touch on Jeff and Punk & some other stuff here. I haven't been listening to many wrestling podcasts lately, so perhaps that helped. But yeah. I thought it was pretty good.

They're doing a Punk career retrospective next week, which ties in nicely to his deal at Starrcast obviously. I just hope Conrad doesn't lean into 2009 overkill the same way he's done with 97 and 99 before.

The Punk episode with Bruce was brutal. It was basically just a bunch of results reading from ROH through ECW and WWE. Just a monotonous slog of a show. Hopefully they steer away from that and just let JR talk a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...