Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-06-05-NJPW-Best of the Super Juniors: Night Fifteen] Jay White vs Hiroshi Tanahashi

paul sosnowski

Jay White's attack on Tana's elbow & the arm as a whole is quite possibly the best heat segment he has worked in his young career so far. Very compelling & some neat stuff there like him putting the bad arm in a hammerlock before suplexing Tana + the shaking of Tana's hand & arm he did while in full control, mocking the shaking people/wrestlers do when trying to get feeling back into hurt bodyparts. Pretty terrific asshole move there. Things didn't remain as interesting when Tana got back into things, but it was still interesting & good enough to keep me hooked - I did like how some of the brief work on the leg came to play when Tana was trying to do something to White from a waistlock, but wasn't able to until White's briefly worked over knee buckled a bit, which gave Tana the opening to bust out a big straight jacket German Suplex. Definitely their best match against each other yet & a great showing by Switchblade. ***3/4

This is the best White-Tanahashi match which has been a very inconsistent series of matches for me. From the get-go, we have White being a piece of crap heel with the jump on returning hero Tanahashi. From there, he zeroes in on the arm and he does not stop. Loved all the little things he did to attack the arm like adjusting his typical offense to do more damage to the arm. Hammerlocking Tana while doing the barricade/apron ramming, doing the same to gain control and cause damage for the Saito suplex, all incredibly awesome. Like @ShittyLittleBoots pointed out, I thought Jay selling his knee while trying to counter a German was one of the best spots of the whole match. I don't mind the finishing stretch shenanigans mostly because that shtick is some of what I enjoy most in Jay White matches. What I absolutely loved however was the finish. No big flashy finisher, just go for the hurt limb, control it into a roll up. Absolutely beautiful. Jay White is going places, guys. I've never turned around on a wrestler so fast.

Easy MOTN for me and a great story. White looked the part as s threatening heel that is also a punk and Tanahashi was so sympathetic and spot on with him coming back to extinguish this punk, but even he’s rested up self isn’t enough. The Gedo interference was annoying but did lead to the dueling low balls which was entertaining. ****1/2 

It's funny how their first match together centered around limb work and ended up being a colossal failure while their most recent match just 18 months later was a great match centered around limb work. Jay has really managed to put the pieces together over the last year. His work over Tanahashi's arm was great and Tanahashi did a great job selling. The leg-assisted Dragon Screw might be one of my favorite spots this year. And that's to say nothing of the finish, which was surprising while also rather brilliant.

More of this please. ****1/4

• 1 month later...

It's taken a while but White has pretty much put it all together by this point. He was absolutely tremendous in this match. His work on Tanahashi's arm was fantastic. The little counters that he does look great, especially the sprawling defense for the twist and shout which was excellent. That's the stuff I love about wrestling when done correctly. Tanahashi sold the arm so well. The timing of his comebacks was on point and as always, his dragon screws were great. These two didn't have much chemistry before but I thought they clicked perfectly here. The finish was well done too. ****1/2