Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-07-26-JCP-Great American Bash-Greensboro, NC] Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes (Cage)

paul sosnowski

• GSR changed the title to [1986-07-26-JCP-Great American Bash-Greensboro, NC] Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes (Cage)
  • 1 year later...

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes - GAB 1986 Steel Cage

Doing this stream of consciousness style. 

I dont think Dusty should have won the title at Starrcade 1985 as that would be too soon, but I think there was a more optimal spot. Flair vs Dusty is something that could always be heated up at a moment's notice, but there had a lot of time since the feud was at its peak in the fall of 1985. Flair had moved onto Garvin & Morton; Dusty: Arn/Tully and the Midnight Express. The opening strut-off is why I love both these guys. Put a big smile to myself. Big Dust shine, looping punches and big Bionic Elbow to the crown of the  head, Flair bumps for it and some verbal selling. Flair tries some stand up wrestling but Dusty shows his acumen reveeses the hammerlock into an armbar. Flair says fuck it and tries to throw him in the Cage. This is why I love Flair the shifting strategies. Dusty gets the boot up to prevent going into the cage. Test of strength goe Dusty way and he takes Flair down with the arm-wringer. Dusty takes control of the wrist. Good verbal selling from Flair as Dusty bars the arm. We get our first criss cross and Flair eats the Hip Toss. Flair tries to take it to strikes with a quick chop, but Dusty chops him down. Flair is besides himself. Flair is a genius. I love he tries to baffle his opponent by coming at so many angles. 

Flair gets his first in roads with a short knee but movement creates an opportunity for Big Dust, Press Slam and we get a little cocky Dusty. Dusty presses advantage in corner. Ref counts and here's the short knee. Dusty overcomes in the next criss cross with a Sleeper. Flair getting those heel hope spots teases but we are still shining. Flair is creating opportunities for himself and Dusty is overcoming. Dusty drops the standing elbow for two and bars the arm. Flair gets up to a vertical base throws him off. Flair catches him on a cross cross with a punch to the gut. Dusty is doubled over in a lot of pain. It is interesting it is Dusty NOT Flair that eats the steel first. This signifies Flair is desperate. He has had his ass kicked and now it is time to use his Environment to consolidate his advantage. Again Dusty goes into the cage, bleeding and Flair drops the signature knee. Flair rubs Dusty's face into the Cage. Grating it. I dont think I have ever seen this before. I think this is my favorite of their series. Dusty looks down and out. Flair is really in a groove here. Kneedrop on the injured leg! The Horsemen always have that to go back to. Stomp on the ankle. WOOOOOO! Flair is cruising as we get the ten minute time call. Flair comes crashing down with all his weight on Dusty's leg. Figure-4! Dusty bleeding, screaming and hollering! Flair looking fresh as a daisy, baby! Dusty digs down deep and REVERSES the pressure. Flair rakes Dusty's face across the top rope. I like that they stuck with the heat segment. Dusty showed life but needs to do more to come back. Dusty is kinda of a cold, dead fish in his heat segments. I would like to see more vivacity out of him. Dusty explodes with a clothesline off the ropes. Ok, I see you, Big Dust. Here comes the fire fight. Flair looks to escape but Dusty catches him and slams him head first into the corner of the cage! Flair tries to use the corner but Dusty overpowers him and hurls him into the cage. Dusty HURLS FLAIRS INTO TEH CGAE for the big poo. Dusty grates the bloody Flair across the Cage. Another Cage toss for good measure. Flair is the man! Dusty kicks the knee...Flair tries to escape, I think it is time for Moon over Miami! There it is but not as extreme as the Morton cage match from Japanese TV. Dusty headbutts at top of Cage and Flair crotches himself. Flair bloody begging off, looking for escape but he will find no quarter, no refuge inside the unforgiving Steel Cage! Dusty rams his head into the Cage more. Dusty punches the Cage and hurt his head! INTERESTING WRINKLE! I thought they were going him. Flair has life. So much for that, here's the Press Slam and Dusty applies the Figure-4! I could see this as the finish. Dusty has used the Figure-4 before to win. Dusty chopping Flair and wants the Bionic Elbow but Flair walks away to Flop is hilarious. They a clothesline/standing elbow. I love how Flair vacillates between Fight and Flight in Cage matches. It is so primal. BIG HOPE SPOT FOR FLAIR! Flair dives from the top rope and gets the crossbody! Very cool! Dusty is back on top. Flair goes for the slam...Inside Cradle...1-2-3!

Big Pop! The American Dream did it! The American Dream Lives & Breathes in Every Single One of Us No Matter Color, Race of Creed! God Bless Dusty Rhodes! I love you, brutha. Legitimately a great match. Flair was phenomenal in this. Dusty could have been more active in his heat segment, but he brought the charisma & charm that only he can in the shine and finish. I love Dusty and so happy he got this moment. Not quite at the emotional level of Kerry winning the title for David in 1984, but still hits home, baby! Love you, Big Dust! ****