Pro Wrestling Only

WCW Presents: Clash of the Champions

LowBlowPodcast

Clash-of-the-Champions-NWA-WCW-450x270.j

WCW Presents: The Clash of the Champions
The Omni - Atlanta, Georgia
3/27/1988

-A great opening video sets the stage for the Omni in Atlanta! Jim Ross and Bob Caudle are standing by…

JR: Welcome everyone to the Clash of the Champions! Jim Ross and Bob Caudle here to call the action for the next two hours. Bob… tonight we’ve got every title in WCW on the line but everyone is looking forward to the World Title with Ric Flair and Sting!

Bob: Well everyone knows what Ric Flair is all about but tonight we find out what Sting is all about.

JR: I think everyone is ready to see what the Venice Beach Bad Boy is going to do tonight to the Nature Boy… plus… what role will Roddy Piper play in this event?

Bob: Well he said it last night… as a judge he’s just here to watch… but you gotta know if someone tries him… he will show his true colors!

JR: Fans we have got five title matches… we’re well away of the time constraints of this broadcast with the time limits of these contests. Right now we’re going to kick things off with our US Tag Title Contest!

US TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
Brad Armstrong & Tim Horner vs Midnight Express © w/ Jim Cornette
-A good 13-minute match with Horner and Armstrong getting in some offense and looking good but the MXE are at a different level. JR and Caudle put over the Road Warriors, Rockers, and others in the tag division. They also name drop the Hart Foundation who will be on WCW Saturday Night next week! They also put over the Crockett Cupand the announcement of the top 8 teams next week. They say the US tag champions will be there and tonight we see the MXE get the wind with the Rocket Launcher. Horner and Armstrong look good but just don’t have enough in the tank!

*COMMERCIAL*

-We’re back at the Clash with Champions and Tony Schaivone is with Sting, Luger, and Windham. They all put over their matches but you can feel the dissention with Luger and Windham. They say they’re on the same page and they will have to be tonight. Sting says that the waiting is over… he says all the outside things will not be a factor and tonight the match will be decided inside the ring… the way it should be!

US HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
Dusty Rhodes © vs Ravishing Rick Rude w/ Jimmy Hart
-A big time match up here with Rhodes and Rude and the crowd is solidly behind the dream. Ross and Caudle put over the arrival of King Kong Bundy. They talk about Dick Murdoch. Inside the ring, these guys have 30-minutes and the match gets drawn out a bit but is still fun to see. The finish sees Bundy make his way out to the ring but here comes Dick Murdoch! Murdoch and Bundy are fighting outside the ring and then Rude and Dusty are brawling inside the ring and the referee gets knocked down. Rude then goes out and he hammers on Murdoch but inside the ring… out of nowhere… STAN HANSEN IS HERE… Rhodes turns around and Hansen NAILS HIM WITH THE LARIAT! Rhodes is slow to get up and Hansen AGAIN WITH A LARIAT!  Hansen rolls out of the ring and is being pummeled by the crowd to the back… Rude gets in the ring, pulls up Rhodes and RUDE AWAKENING and pulls the referee over...1…..2…..3! RICK RUDE HAS WON THE US TITLE! The crowd is in shock! Jimmy Hart and Bundy are celebrating like crazy! Ross and Caudle can’t believe what they’ve seen… we have a new US Champion!

*COMMERCIAL*

-We’re back with Ross and Caudle putting over the US title match… they can’t believe Stan Hansen showed up… they can’t believe Rude is the champion… they say that Rhodes is receiving medical attention in the back and they hope to hear from him after our next match… the world tag team titles are on the line...

WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
Lex Luger & Barry Windham vs Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard © w/ JJ Dillon
-After all the talk… all the hoopla… it comes to these four men and they put on a helluva match for about 18-minutes. Luger and Windham look good and Blanchard and Anderson look great. A lot of tags and smooth moves from both teams but you can tell Anderson and Blanchard are more polished. The drama comes when Luger accidently hits Windham with a forearm. This draws and argument between the two… they are pushing one another and reach back to throw a punch but Anderson runs from behind and nails Windham who hammers Luger and he goes out of the ring to the floor! Anderson pulls Windham over and has a handful of tights for the 3-count! The Horsemen get the win and retain the titles! We see Windham and Luger starting to go at it outside the ring… we see some babyface jobbys come out to break them apart… we cut back to Tony and the Dream!

hqdefault.jpg

Dusty Rhodes; Tony Schiavone… the best thing you can do right now is just chill daddy… Rick Rude… you stole the American Dream… you stole the US Title… you call it a Rude Awakening well brother I AM WIDE AWAKE NOW AND THERE ARE DUES TO BE PAID! Stan Hansen… you come out of the shadows… to try and stop the DREAM that is AMERICA! You want to try and put be down daddy well you can try and try but you ain’t done a damn thing but wake me up! Rude! Hansen! Bundy! Hart! I am coming! I am coming with scorn in my heart! I am coming with fire in my soul! I am coming with the American Dream to reclaim what is mine in this world! I am coming for the RECKONING...one way or another… I will get mine… and you… you will get yours! 

*COMMERCIAL*

-Ross and Caudle are back putting over the big Tag Title match and how the Horsemen played the mind games with Luger and Windham and it looks to have worked. They put over Dusty Rhodes and how he is vowing revenge on Hansen and Rude! They put over the big World Title match. They say the TV title match between Rotundo and Simmons is on stand by as we cut to Tom Miller for our introductions...

Tom Miller: Ladies and gentlemen, it is now time for our main event… for the WCW Heavyweight Championship of the World. Introducing first, our three judges...

Television star… Jason Hervey! 

hqdefault.jpg

Penthouse Playmate Patty Mullen

MV5BNDkwY2Q0OWQtZDc3NC00MGVjLTlhNjItNWJk

Professional Wrestling great… the one… the only… ROWDY RODDY PIPER!

hqdefault.jpg

Tom Miller: Now… the challenger… from Venice Beach, California… ladies and gentlemen… STING!  His opponent… the champion… from Charlotte, North Carolina… the WCW Heavyweight Champion of the World… the NATURE BOY… RIC FLAIR!

WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
Sting vs Ric Flair © w/ JJ Dillon
-What a moment we have here. The Omni is going wild for this one. Flair and Sting… the first WCW World title defense since the buyout. Caudle and Ross put it through the roof and we see these two men push each other to the limit. It is Sting’s strength that is on display and the crowd is eating every motion and move. Flair turns the tide and breaks the big man down and tries to work the knee but Sting once again shows just how powerful he is by breaking loose. We get a very close 2-count at about the 25-minute mark on Flair and he is right in Tommy Young’s face but Young pushes him back and he goes out of the ring. Piper is there and smiles at Flair but doesn’t get involved. Flair continues to move around and STING OVER THE TOP ROPE with a cross body on Flair and the crowd explodes! They continue to go through and now Sting is on the offensive and he is looking to pick up steam. He even looks to finish with the Stinger Splash but Flair ducks down and Sting goes over the top to the floor. This is Flair’s chance and at the 45-minute mark he goes for broke. He does everything he can to break down that knee of Sting but Sting’s got a fire inside him that continues to burn. JJ Dillon is sweating bullets outside the ring. Ross and Caudle say that this is a special moment and anything could happen. Flair gets into his series and he is looking to lock in the Figure Four but Sting rolls through for another very close 2-count! Sting is now in control and we’ve got limited time remaining! He press slams Flair and the crowd is going nuts! Sting screams as though he knows this is his moment! Arn and Tully are shown running down to the ring but Windham and Luger… UNITED… they run down and stop them! The Horsemen are drawn back without issue! Sting then locks in the SCORPION DEATHLOCK and Flair is in the center of the ring! He has Flair right where he wants him but it is JJ Dillon who gets up on the apron and Sting runs over and NAILS HIM! This gives Flair a chance to take out the knee and he goes for the Figure-Four! He has it locked in with minutes remaining! Sting continues to fight and the crowd is going nuts! 60-seconds as Tom Miller calls out and Sting turns the Figure-Four over and Flair is hurting but then Flair turns it back…. Sting comes back up and turns it one more time and now he has Flair in pain…. The bell rings! The crowd is stunned! They have gone the full 60-minutes! Both men struggle to their feet. Flair has to be helped by JJ Dillon! Sting pulls himself up by the ropes! Tommy Young grabs the title and he won’t give it to Flair… he says that the Judges have the final say! 

Tom Miller: Ladies and gentlemen… with this match going to a sixty minute time limit… we must go to the judges for the victor. Please give me your cards… First… Jason Hervey scores the match…to RIC FLAIR! Rowdy Roddy Piper scores the match… to STING! Lastly, Patty Mullen scores the match… RIC FLAIR!

-The crowd boos and Roddy Piper gets in the ring as Flair grabs the title. Piper helps up Sting as Windham and Luger come out and help him up. Anderson and Blanchard come out with Flair. Ross and Caudle say that our tv time has elapsed… we will show the TV title match this Saturday on WCW Saturday Night! Our final scene is Piper, Sting, Luger, and Windham looking at the Horsemen walking up the aisle with the titles… 

I really like the era you guys are working. Some really cool shows! 

The anticipated Clash of Champions has finally arrived and it more than delivered.

The Midnights are successful tonight but as mentioned a lot of teams will be gunning for them.

Oh man I know Stan Hansen is one of the toughest in wrestling but a revenge minded American Dream is not somebody to mess with. These two are heading for an explosive match up. Meanwhile Rick Rude is the new US champ. That's a good fit for him.

Tension is rising between Windham and Luger and the Horsemen take advantage. 

Flair and Sting go to an epic 60 minute draw. IRL Flair said this was how he wished it would of went so it was awesome to see you go with that. The judges give the match to Flair but Sting is now a made man. Looking forward to a Flair/Piper match and maybe even a Wargames match. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

clash-28-1.jpg

Clash of the Champions II
Miami Mayhem
June 8, 1988
Miami, Florida - The James L. Knight Center

Jim Ross and Bob Caudle are ringside for this huge night of action. They pump up the five big matches and talk about viewer discretion being advised for our main event with Piper and Sawyer. Right now the tv title is on the line… let’s go to the ring!

TV TITLE TOURNAMENT
Terry Taylor vs Curt Hennig w/ JJ Dillon
-These two have a lot of history and put it all out for the fans to open things up. They go 18-minutes as Ross and Caudle put over how the tv title is usually a 15-minute time limit but there must be a winner. We get a lot of heat with Hennig and a big build up from Taylor. The finish comes out of nowhere as JJ is making his presence known outside the ring and it serves as enough of a distraction on Taylor for Hennig to come with a nasty knee to the back. This sets up a German Suplex but both men have their shoulders down… but it looks like Hennig gets one up on one angle but Taylor gets one up on the other for the 3-count… we’ve got some controversy but Randy Anderson takes the title… he confers with Gary Michael Capetta… and the winner and NEW television champion… IS CURT HENNIG! Lots of controversy here… the crowd isn’t happy about this one. Hennig has won the title and now the Horsemen have the tv title in their camp! 

*COMMERCIAL*

Ross and Caudle put over the controversy surrounding the TV title match. They talk about both men appeared to have a shoulder up and hope to have some insight on this in the coming days on Saturday Night. Right now we’ve got a big time tag team match… let’s go to the ring! 

The Road Warriors vs The One Man Gang & Big Bubba w/ Slick
-An all out brawl with mayhem and bedlam the entire 10-minutes. These four just beat the living shit out of one another. Slick is trying to get involved but he gets knocked down for his pleasure. In the end we see Big Bubba grab a wooden chair and destroy it over Animal’s back to cause the DQ but this one is far from over. We’ve got officials and agents out here. This is complete chaos! 

-We cut to Tony Schiavone who is with the Horsemen in the back. They say they have the champagne on ice to celebrate the tv title win but then their own. It is the Horsemen vs Sting, Luger, and Windham when we come back!

*COMMERCIAL*

-We’re back with Tony Schiavone who is with Sting, Luger, and Windham who are pumped up for the big six-man. They are putting it through the roof and ready to tear the walls down… no more talk… it is time to go!

SIX-MAN TAG TEAM MATCH
Sting, Lex Luger, & Barry Windham vs The Horsemen w/ JJ Dillon
-A really fun 20-minute contest with a lot of tags and action. The highlights are seeing Flair in there with each of these three but it is Sting who appears to be the front runner face. Anderson and Blanchard are the ones who are the uncontrollable variables who even the odds and slow things down. The finish sees all six-men involved. Flair is outside the ring with Windham. Anderson and Luger are battling on the ramp. JJ tries to get involved but it is Tully who accidently nails him with a high knee when Sting moves… Sting comes from behind Tully and debuts a new move… it is a backwards DDT (Scorpion Death Drop) and then the 3-count and Sting, Luger, and Windham are the winners! The crowd is going nuts for this one and the Horsemen can’t believe it! 

*COMMERCIAL*

Ross and Caudle put over the win for Sting, Windham, and Luger. They pump up the big US tag title match… they say it is 2 out of 3 falls… who walks out with the gold?!?

US TAG CHAMPIONSHIP 2 out of 3 FALLS
The Rockers vs The Midnight Express w/ Jim Cornette
FIRST FALL - We have both teams come out hot and they are running all around the ring and outside. We see a lot of action and double teaming. Michaels and Jannetty don’t seem to be able to get things going and that sets up a slick fall when Jannetty gets nailed with that big crescent kick from Lane and Eaton with the roll up for the 3-count and the MXE are up 1-0!
SECOND FALL - We get a 30-second break here as the Rockers try to get themselves together and the MXE look strong. This fall goes about 8-minutes but the Rockers build up some serious momentum! The crowd is behind them and cheering them up in a big way. The Midnights seem to be resting on the first fall and that spells the story for this one. We get a fall out of nowhere when Jannetty is in the middle of the ring and Beautiful Bobby comes off the top with a chop but Jannetty with a crescent kick of his own and he covers Bobby for the 3-count! The Rockers lock it up at 1-!
THIRD FALL - 30-seconds and Jim Cornette is sweating bullets! He is telling his men to go the 30-minute time limit which is coming in about 7-minutes so the Rockers have to hurry. They go almost the time limit here in the final fall and we see both teams go for broke. The finish sees Beautiful Bobby miss the Alabama Jam on Michaels leading to a double dropkick on Stan Lane sending him out of the ring to the floor! The Rockers hit the double suplex and go up top. This causes Cornette to go up and he NAILS Michaels with the Tennis Racket and it is a DQ as Nick Patrick turns around right at the ring time and sees him. Cornette can’t believe it and the crowd is going nuts! We see Tommy Young run down as Patrick is talking to GMC. GMC announces that the Rockers have won the third and final fall…. But… the TITLES CANNOT CHANGE HANDS ON A DQ and with that being the final fall… the Midnight Express are STILL CHAMPIONS! This one isn’t good and the fans are not happy but the Rockers get some heat back with a double dropkick on Cornette who is holding the titles and he goes out of the ring to the floor!

*COMMERCIAL*

Ross and Caudle are back and joined by Jim Crockett who puts over all the action tonight but then announces that he has spoken to the board and the title matches tonight do hold up. Curt Hennig is the television champion… the MXE are the US tag team champions but rematches are going to be signed immediately for these two titles. He says he will be in the studio this Saturday to discuss those matches and they will be signed and brought to the fans at the earliest convenience!

*DISCLAIMER across the screen says that viewer discretion is advised!*

DOG COLLAR MATCH
Roddy Piper vs Buzz Sawyer
-It isn’t long and it isn’t pretty. These two guys come out and beat the living shit out of one another for about 13-minutes and it gets bloody early from the chain attack on Piper from weeks ago. Piper then busts open Sawyer. Ross and Caudle put over his this is for Piper to get his hands on Flair. Sawyer looks very dangerous out there and we see him really pummel Piper but the Rowdy one fights his way back. This isn’t a touch all four match but rather a pinfall. Sawyer turns the tide one more time by wrapping the chain around Piper but Roddy runs Sawyer into the ringpost. This then sets up the finish for Piper to toss Sawyer to the ropes and catch him for a sleeper but he wraps the chain around his head twice and then locks it in! Piper has got him right in the middle of the ring… drenched in blood… Sawyer is out and then Piper covers him for the 3-count! The fans pop for him and Piper has done it! He’s beat Snuka… he’s beat Sawyer… now he wants Flair but what does he have left to give!?!

What an awesome Clash, I actually read the last one just to get a taste before I dove into this one, in which I am caught up with the storylines.  Your dedication to fantasy wrestling is second to none.

"There must be a winner" so reminds me of Bret losing the ironman to Shawn which I am still bitter about (but understand from a booking perspective).  And Hennig gets the belt but I feel like Taylor has a leigt gripe and this might be far from over.  I am guessing a stipulation match is up next between them!

Love the mayhem of the big hoss tag match!  I bet poor Gang was gassed at the end lol.  Seems like another one in which we'll be getting a rematch.  I am not complaining!

I love that the faces won clean against the Horsemen!  "Uncontrollable variables" lol, as a current psychology student, I appreciate the terminology.  Between the last clash and this one, you are really pushing Sting hard as your flagship.  I think it's a good move.

Rockers vs. MXE is a dream match of mine.  I like how each of the first two falls ended with the same move, that really makes the match seem even and gives it a feeling of not tipping your hand, it could easily go either way.  I hate how it ended but you kept both teams strong with that ending, so I give it a pass!  I feel like this one could happen again, too.  Seems like you are doing a lot of great table setting in this show, most of these matches are building to a bigger payoff down the road.

And good ol' Jim Crockett confirms my suspicions!  You know, even though these matches were setups for a bigger moment at a bigger event, none of them feel that way.  That is excellent booking.  They don't feel like matches that are throwaways to get to something else.

Great main event, bloody and disgusting!  And the right guy went over so I would guess that Ric Flair doesn't want any part of this guy.  Even with the speculation he might not have much left in the tank.  If I know anything about Piper, he finds that little something extra!

Great show, easy and fun to read.

• 4 weeks later...

Catch Up time.

Love the finish to the TV title match.  Hennig gets the win, but both men look strong and a rematch is likely in order.  Warriors in a DQ means this is far from over.

Great win by Sting, Luger and Windham over the Horsemen.  The Horsemen have strong challengers coming from every direction.  Will be interesting to see if they can keep their stranglehold on the top titles for much longer.  And the Scorpion Death Drop is debuted.  Sting is shaping as the future of the company.

Great US Tag Title Match.  The Rockers win the match, but the Midnights are still the champs.

Piper gets the big win in the Dog-Collar match, and now Flair is clearly in his sights.

Loved the show... maybe one too many cheap endings, but the company has a clear direction that I am enjoying.