Pro Wrestling Only

[2020-04-08-WWE-NXT] Johnny Gargano vs Tommaso Ciampa

SmartMark15

This match not only reaches beyond itself and falls flat on its face, it also serves to ruin the actual good work that came before it. It is bad on an almost stunning degree. It accomplishes everything it set out to do so poorly that the wrestling itself feels almost secondary. The action pales in comparison to the overwhelming incompetence that surrounds this match on all sides. I never thought it would be easy for me to make this declaration but Ciampa, Gargano, and the WWE machine have created a masterpiece of terrible that is simply undeniable.

Worst match I’ve ever seen.

FULL REVIEW: https://josephmontecillo.wordpress.com/2020/04/09/johnny-gargano-vs-tomasso-ciampa-wwe-nxt-4-8-20/

• GSR changed the title to [2020-04-08-WWE-NXT] Johnny Gargano vs Tomasso Ciampa

I enjoyed it on some ironic level and I was kind of hoping that it's come full circle into legit enjoyment but the whole match was so messy it could've ever stop stepping on its toes. The trash talking was so bad. It's like they saw the Taker/AJ match and decided to do more of that. Taker vs AJ did it in a more natural way and in away that doesn't come across as so lame. Shouts of "HE'S GOT A BAD NECK" just makes me incapable of taking the wrestling seriously. The portion where they wrestled on top of the truck was so illogical. They had a super kick exchange/double sell spot on top of the truck. They didn't make any use of it at all, there was no purpose for Ciampa to lure Gargano on the truck. He didn't try to throw him off. He didn't slam him on the roof or anything. The only point of the truck was so they could have their signature spot on a truck rooftop. And that sums up the match for me. It was done so it'd be a cool visual and thats it. The finish was so bad. Russo-riffic swerves that make zero sense. Why did Candice LeRae only now coming out to stop the match? Why did she low blow Gargano in the balls only to do it to Ciampa a few minutes later? Why didn't she just do it to Ciampa then?  Her acting for the entire bit was horrific, too. Primary school level. No conviction, no believability. 

This was clearly a physical match. They bumped big, they wailed each other with weapon shots but it was done in a way that takes all that away. Ciampa took the crutch shots like a champ - god bless him - but the crutch use is so passe at this point in the feud. The ring boards being exposed meant absolutley nothing in the match outside of a visual pin for Ciampa. It was just there. It means nothing to me by this point. And it takes away from the good parts of the match that could've worked if there was something to these spots. 

Bad match. I had fun watching but just writing this review showed to me just how bad this match was. 

I actually didn't mind most of this but thought it was ridiculously too long.  This had moments I enjoyed and even appreciated *some* of the narrative, but it didn't even touch something like Edge/Orton where every minute just made me angrier.  That was truly an all timer for me.  This was just a miss, especially given their history.

• GSR changed the title to [2020-04-08-WWE-NXT] Johnny Gargano vs Tommaso Ciampa