Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - September 30, 2020

MoS

Today is my birthday. So I wanted to watch some pro wrestling before heading to work. So I put on AEW Dynamite. I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed the Cody stuff leading to Brodie Lee coming out & multiple pull aparts. Brandi & Anna Jay getting into it. Nyla Rose outta nowhere. That was fun. 

3 minutes ago, Coffey said:

Today is my birthday. So I wanted to watch some pro wrestling before heading to work. So I put on AEW Dynamite. I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed the Cody stuff leading to Brodie Lee coming out & multiple pull aparts. Brandi & Anna Jay getting into it. Nyla Rose outta nowhere. That was fun. 

Happy birthday my man!

20 minutes ago, MoS said:

AEW has dropped the ball on Miro so far

Billy Mitchell is a better heel to be fair.

(for those who don't know he was caught using emulation to get some of his arcade records, and when they were thrown out he sued Twin Galaxies arcade over it.)

5 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

That was a common theme tonight. Lots of midcard talents who brought it: Darby, Starks, Kassidy, Butcher. All looked great in the process.

Yeah, I really liked this episode.

Maybe they should switch to having exclusively taped shows during the pandemic era. It clearly helps the shows, chances of spoilers getting out are less with so few fans, and in 2020, does anyone really care about being taped v. live?

34 minutes ago, MoS said:

Yeah, I really liked this episode.

Maybe they should switch to having exclusively taped shows during the pandemic era. It clearly helps the shows, chances of spoilers getting out are less with so few fans, and in 2020, does anyone really care about being taped v. live?

FWIW I'm of the belief wrestling is usually better taped, at least for weekly shows. There's no reason they have to run live every week (that goes for all companies) other than that's what was done when WWF and WCW had a dick waving contest in the 90s.  

It makes for a better show and it's financially smarter for the company. 

Agreed about it being a dick-waving contest. Especially weird that wrestling promotions insist on it,

4 minutes ago, sek69 said:

FWIW I'm of the belief wrestling is usually better taped, at least for weekly shows. There's no reason they have to run live every week (that goes for all companies) other than that's what was done when WWF and WCW had a dick waving contest in the 90s.  

It makes for a better show and it's financially smarter for the company. 

because the most infamous example of a taped show is Mankind winning the world title, where the ratings were very legendarily helped by giving out spoilers.

TNA 10 years ago conducted a focus group. they watched one taped episode and one recorded live, with a Live logo in the corner of the screen and the announcers stating the show was live several times. When asked the group couldn't recall which show was which nor did the view or value the difference. 

Live TV Wrestling is largely vanity. The pressure can push wrestlers to better performances but a lot of AEW roster is fairly green at live TV and AEW's production isn't *that* slick to do it currently.

Live vs taped doesn't matter in the least for an empty arena show where spoilers don't get out. I think if the spoilers do get out it changes the chemistry for at least the most vocal/social media driven audience. Whether that can't be adapted and controlled for, I have no idea. There are a lot of moving parts right now in a COVID environment. Plus, WWE at least has been terrible about surprises and twists (both in not going to that well nearly often enough and not making it worthwhile when they do).