Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - October 28, 2020

MoS

4 minutes ago, Log said:

So, I’m thinking that the whole Inner Circle turns on Jericho and MJF takes over at the PPV, right?

Not sure, but this development has me intrigued, I have to say.

Having said that, the segment would have been much better and just as effective if it was limited to the last 2-3 minutes of what actually happened. I am beginning to hate Jericho's creative ideas. 

Big-time championship match, and J.R just goes "I am wondering how this match got made" Fuck him, worst commentator in wrestling

1 hour ago, MoS said:

First time I am seeing this Layla wrestler, she is green but seems to have a lot of potential. Nasty strikes

Layla is one of the best wrestlers/causes I've set my eyes on in several years. Her Dark and Dynamite matches sadly lacked a live crowd as previously she's wildfire. She wouldn't have wrestled Shida on AEW Dark night one and then Deeb on Dynamite night two in the same taping if management and influential talent weren't sold on her. Just watch the video.

31 minutes ago, rovert said:

Layla is one of the best wrestlers/causes I've set my eyes on in several years. Her Dark and Dynamite matches sadly lacked a live crowd as previously she's wildfire. She wouldn't have wrestled Shida on AEW Dark night one and then Deeb on Dynamite night two in the same taping if management and influential talent weren't sold on her. Just watch the video.

That's an excellent video, thanks for pointing my attention to it.

Not to be trivial about human life, but the death of Casey Michael is a huge stepback for women's wrestlers precisely because now there is no one who brings the attention of the pro wrestling audience to talented female wrestlers who might not have a forum to showcase their skills.

24 minutes ago, MoS said:

That's an excellent video, thanks for pointing my attention to it.

Not to be trivial about human life, but the death of Casey Michael is a huge stepback for women's wrestlers precisely because now there is no one who brings the attention of the pro wrestling audience to talented female wrestlers who might not have a forum to showcase their skills.

You are putting me in a bad spot as I actually told Casey about Leyla, Stadtlander and (the give her more time as she's very young and still dealing with College) AQA as my next three big picks around 18 months ago when he first got badly sick and missed a lot of time wasn't plugged in.

Re: AQA. Again she's a young woman putting her life together. And COVID put everyone's life on pause and a considerable distance between wrestlers last match and now. But AQA if she sees it through and her body holds up could be really special:

But Casey is irreplaceable in a thousand ways to me. A really funny guy and way, way more intelligent than he let on.  

1 minute ago, rovert said:

You are putting me in a bad spot as I actually told Casey about Leyla, Stadtlander and (the give her more time as she's very young and still dealing with College) AQA as my next three big picks around 18 months ago when he first got badly sick and missed a lot of time wasn't plugged in.

Re: AQA. Again she's a young woman putting her life together. And COVID put everyone's life on pause and a considerable distance between wrestlers last match and now. But AQA if she sees it through and her body holds up could be really special:

But Casey is irreplaceable in a thousand ways to me. A really funny guy and way, way more intelligent than he let on.  

Not doubting you here at all, it is impossible for a single individual to keep track of everything, and in a lot of cases, an influencer is always influenced/made aware of their area of expertise by other people. 

I know we had an argument about Becky and women's wrestlers recently, but I agree about your larger point about Meltzer not paying enough attention to women's wrestlers and the larger trends in female pro wrestling; he is quite often very dismissive and too outcome-oriented, and almost seems to think that because AJW and joshi in general gave us tremendous wrestlers in the years' past, we should ignore structural barriers that female wrestlers have. It was in that regard that Casey was a huge contributor to wrestling in general, and again, not dismissing you at all, his absence will definitely impact women's pro wrestling in a negative way for years and years until someone occupies the space he did, if at all someone can do it. 

On a related point, while I plead ignorance about AQA, with female wrestlers, for obvious reasons, it's not just them having the physical talent that determines their eventual success, but also their mental and emotional reaction to working in an industry that constantly disrespects and dismisses them and their contributions, and reduces their worth to, to put it bluntly, how hot the men running the shows find them to be. It's almost a case of male wrestlers determining on their own how far these women should go, which honestly impacts their success on both sides of the spectrum, as we have seen with Kylie Rae and her unfortunate mental health issues. 

Normally, the first thought that would've popped up in my mind when I saw Leyla Hirsch tonight would've been "Holy shit, is she short". But in reality, it was "Jesus Christ, I've seen tree stumps smaller than Leyla's calves". I bet she never missed one leg day at the gym. Totally sold on her after tonight.