Pro Wrestling Only

NJPW on Roku

Flyin' Brian

Not sure what there is to be disappointed about here - except maybe for tech-phobic still-uses-Juno Dave. This gives NJPW instant access in three different parts of the world, with fans now easily able to access this content for free on their Roku devices, phone/tablet apps, and the web. 

With that said, I couldn't find MLW at all on The Roku Channel shortly after that deal was announced, despite trying 2-3 different ways. The Roku Channel's interface is dire. It's possible MLW is easy to find now, but I never looked for it again. 

18 hours ago, C.S. said:

Not sure what there is to be disappointed about here - except maybe for tech-phobic still-uses-Juno Dave. This gives NJPW instant access in three different parts of the world, with fans now easily able to access this content for free on their Roku devices, phone/tablet apps, and the web. 

With that said, I couldn't find MLW at all on The Roku Channel shortly after that deal was announced, despite trying 2-3 different ways. The Roku Channel's interface is dire. It's possible MLW is easy to find now, but I never looked for it again. 

I think MLW is only available live on there (via the Fubo Sports Network, I think). New Japan's deal appears to be different, with them having a content archive.

I've outed myself before, but I'm one of those lazy, cheap Americans who has not seen any full NJPW shows so this is super cool news for me. I've never felt secure enough in my interest in the company to get the app - I barely have time to watch all that I want to watch on the other 4-5 services I have - but as a Roku owner, I'm psyched to have what looks like all (most?) of WrestleKingdom 14 available in match-by-match form now. Plus the possibility of archived shows? For 100% free? 

Fuck. Yeah. 

I wouldn't call this a game-changer just because you still need to actually go on the Roku app and find the show and be interested in Japanese wrestling...but anyone who thinks the Roku Channel is small potatoes is definitely missing the big picture. Yes, Netflix and Disney+ and Amazon Prime and HBO Max and Peacock are the "bigger names" and having a company like that actually producing a NJPW show would be a much bigger deal, but Roku is the #1-selling streaming device on the market (they make up close to 40% in North America) and their app is 100% free and built-in. It is almost comparable to terrestrial TV/radio stations in the ease at which one could access the shows on their app. Having your show available on an app that - by default - is probably in the top 5 most used/most available apps in North America is a win. It also helps "legitimize" NJPW for certain viewers in that they now could potentially include that cute little purple Roku logo in their marketing/promotion. Its a recognizable brand. This isn't like having your show on Tubi.tv or Crackle.*

And while I believe Roku are mostly focusing on building up their catalog with cheap series ("Hey, we've got the full series run of Without A Trace and 3rd Rock From The Sun!) and movies readily available elsewhere, Netflix had equally humble beginnings. In fact, I kinda miss the days when the Netflix library was made up of mostly B- and C-movies (Miracle Beach! Miami Connection!). 

* I couldn't make the argument myself because I don't know enough about the subject, but I'd be curious to know if there is anyone who thinks that maybe Lucha Underground would've been a bigger hit had it been a Netflix-produced series rather than El Rey. When the first two (?) seasons of LU made it to Netflix, it definitely wasn't promoted as a Netflix show (because it wasn't) - but one has to wonder if that show being produced by Netflix in conjunction with G.L.O.W, for example, might've helped it get even more of a buzz and led to Netflix putting muscle into promoting it. Or, also, if the initial buzz that LU got (which was sizable) was dampened a bit by the El Rey channel not having the name recognition/availability of a platform like Netflix. In the end, I don't think we're a long time away from one of these streaming platforms making a real run at co-producing a wrestling promotion/show like LU or *gastro issues* Wrestling Society X

7 hours ago, DMJ said:

* I couldn't make the argument myself because I don't know enough about the subject, but I'd be curious to know if there is anyone who thinks that maybe Lucha Underground would've been a bigger hit had it been a Netflix-produced series rather than El Rey. When the first two (?) seasons of LU made it to Netflix, it definitely wasn't promoted as a Netflix show (because it wasn't) - but one has to wonder if that show being produced by Netflix in conjunction with G.L.O.W, for example, might've helped it get even more of a buzz and led to Netflix putting muscle into promoting it. Or, also, if the initial buzz that LU got (which was sizable) was dampened a bit by the El Rey channel not having the name recognition/availability of a platform like Netflix. In the end, I don't think we're a long time away from one of these streaming platforms making a real run at co-producing a wrestling promotion/show like LU or *gastro issues* Wrestling Society X

I agree. There's a reasonable market for something like this and it's not terribly expensive content. If a streaming company wanted to get behind something, they could have a reasonable sized hit. But I do think it needs to be something like LU that's wrestling TV show and not a touring company. It's got to feel like something that's distinctly of the streaming company and not just something they're airing.

On 2/12/2021 at 6:40 AM, DMJ said:

I've never felt secure enough in my interest in the company to get the app

I subscribed to NJPW World for a month when I had the Fire TV Cube. My subscription ended when I returned that awful buggy piece of crap device.

Years later, it still baffles me that the availability of the app never become more widespread (Roku, PS3/4/5, etc.). It displays a glaring lack of understanding on New Japan's part of the American market, and why they will probably never, ever succeed as a touring company in the States (Covid aside).

Still, this deal is the next best thing and actually gives me some hope that maybe NJPW is finally beginning to figure some things out outside its home territory.