Pro Wrestling Only

Rey Fenix

Grimmas

Boss Rock said:

"The most spectacular high-flier of his generation. What he's able to do in the ring feels akin to what Rey was doing in the mid-90's. An excellent babyface but has also played a decent heel when called upon, primarily with Death Triangle. Just an all around awesome singles, tag, and spotfest worker."

The WALTER match was a revelation for me in the building, as good as I've seen him perform as an underdog. Definitely someone who I want to dig more into and do some rewatches as when he hits with me he hits big, but I also feel like I've seen a lot of matches where the wheels rapidly come off.

Fenix gets a lot of Rey comparisons and I fully understand that, but he reminds me more of Blitzkrieg where he's purely about doing some crazy shit and showing off his physical abilities and everything else is secondary if it exists in a match at all. Rey even in his physical prime where he could do anything he wanted was much better about weaving in his spots and and selling, where as Fenix is just WANNA SEE SOME AWESOME SHIT HERE I GO no matter what is going on in a match prior or after. Which definitely has its place and there isn't a guy currently in wrestling that makes me hit the Titus.gif in real life pretty much every time I see him, and that's pretty rad.

However, I haven't really seen him do much more than that, and I don't feel like AEW or at least his position in AEW really is going to require that of him anytime soon. 

I liked Fenix a lot but as time pases he is becoming more of a guy who displays an amazing athletic power and a lot of OMG HOW HE DID THAT but with less storytelling.

His match against Low Ki in MLW is worth watching, I find it even better than the Mil Muertes one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6OSaphQ5SU

Also, he had a match against Daga in AAA which I think is a good example of a match full of .gif moments but also it inmerses me in what's happening in the match, who will win, etc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T43FqXePF1w 

• 1 year later...

Yeah Fenix is a amazing spot-guy where he just blows your mind with really astonishing dives and flips, but his on/off selling and immensely inconsistent....well, everything else makes him a tricky case that wouldn't have a spot in my 100. Doesn't help he keeps getting slotted in with guys who aren't really interested in dragging that out of him.