Pro Wrestling Only

DVD #2: Rock & Roll Express vs Rick Rude & Manny Fernandez

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Oh my, was this just an awesome match. Formulaic Rock 'n' Roll Express match, as both guys take turns as face-in-peril, and as such, both men take an insane amount of punishment. Fernandez and Rude also take turns working over the injuries the Express suffered at Starrcade. Even with that, the champions still have victory in their sights before the double team behind Scrappy McGowan's back and the pull of the tights.

Unlike the previous Satanico-Koshinaka match where the cheap finish felt out of place in a supposed blowoff, it's clear in this case that the cheap finish is designed to build to future rematches.

This being in December hurt its chances of being MOTY, as it was ineligible for most MOTY polls but would have gotten no play for 1987, but this might have been the best tag team match of 1986.

• 2 weeks later...

It was right around the time of this match that I started to cheer for the bad guys in certain circumstances. Bad guys like Rude, Fernandez, Arn, Beautiful Bobby, Sweet Stan, The Nature Boy.... (and in WWF the Harts and Harley...) ...they were just so much more compelling than the all-American good guys. This is the kind of match that, watching it now, I kind of wish I could push a button and get back into pure kayfabe mode and just cheer for the good guys to beat the bad guys. It really sounds like the crowd is having a great time at this match! Of course, I was also having a pretty good time back then cheering for the bad guys and feeling all superior for it. Having a good time now, too, feeling all nostalgic and contemplative...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Real Man's Man

A super match. Really good match to show off the Rn'R, as Gibson is damn good working in peril, but Morton just has a certain intangible magic about him that makes him even better. Fernandez and Rude are a terrific tag team as well, from their bumping to their extended working over of their opponents injuries. Enjoyed watching Fernandez a lot in this match, as he was the guy I knew least about going in. While I wont say that everyone was absolutely equal in terms of what they contributed, I will say that there was no glaringly clear weak link here (unlike in the Fantastics match on the previous disc where Fulton is clearly vastly inferior to Rogers), which for me is always nice. The quality of the match makes the viewer in me want to see them go at it again because of how good this was, and the finish makes the fan inside me want to see another match so that Rn'R have the chance to wite the wrong from this match. That I like.

I'd like to watch this match again sometime in relation to what was going on in the NWA in general at the time, but viewed as a stand-alone match it's still a blast. Especially since, with a few notable excpetions, I've pretty much always been a fan of the good guys (so long as I thought they were worth a damn). That said, if I was supporting Rude and Fernandez I guess I would have loved this match as well, so in this case I guess it's win-win no matter who you support.

While I know could very well find 3 or 4 matches I end up liking better, when all is said and done I think this might have a chance of winding up as my favourite match on the disc (or at least thereabouts).

• 1 month later...