Pro Wrestling Only

Randy Orton vs Terry Gordy

Loss

Randy Orton vs Terry Gordy  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you rank higher?

• Randy Orton
    • Terry Gordy

It is an interesting comparison, because Gordy was revered as a generational talent within the industry, but his matches don't really live up to that, with a few exceptions. That said, I see him as no more than a mild disappointment, with a strong record as a tag worker and a key role in one of the great territorial feuds. Orton has largely squandered one of the great silver-platter careers in wrestling history. He's clearly gifted and has been treated as a top guy by the dominant company for close to two decades, but he has so little memorable work to show for it. He's steered into being boring as shit. 

I more or less cosign much of what Childs said.  I was generous to Orton in the Ultimo comparison. This feels a lot easier to me.  Gordy's output doesn't match the reputation and the buzz, but I sometimes think the pendulum did its thing and swung a little far back on him. I would say his tag work alone produces more quality wrestling that I actively want to watch than Orton's career, but he is also not without some solid singles performances as well.

• 10 months later...

Been rewatching a ton of Orton recently. Man I did dirty on this guy. He really shines through most of his career, with exquisite selling and iconic offense, and he's a master of little details. He also hace a lot of underrated/hidden gems: the Benoit match, the WM Punk match, the WHC Henry match, some of the Cena matches (I specially like Breaking Point 2009 and HIAC 2014), a random RVD match in fucking 2013 at SmackDown, the great Cesaro match in early 2014, the very first Reigns great singles match, and even carried motherfucking KANE to some of his best stuff ever in 2012 (one of Orton's weakest years). I even rewatched some of his considered worst stuff (the HHH Mania main, for example) and most of it wasn't even that bad, it was actually kinda decent, at least for his part. I don't see Gordy having a chance at basically anything. I don't even like the 88 RWTL finals as much, I'd put some Orton matches above it with no doubt.

• 1 year later...