Pro Wrestling Only

Kliq This: The Kevin Nash Podcast

Well, it's definitely not your typical Conrad style show. I'll give it that much. I really like it for that, but I'm not sure how it holds up over the long haul. Time will tell.

I listened to the first episode, and it's just like being parachute dropped into a conversation between Oliver and Nash. There's both good and bad that comes with that, but again - I dig it. It feels familiar and simple. Easy listening, for sure.

There are separate segments and whatnot, which give it a real radio vibe. But yeah. The looser format works in its favor with a guy like Nash.

The detailed timeline of Scott Hall's declining health and eventual death are... well, obviously depressing. It's not deliberately told in that manner or anything, but I don't know. I think I liked not knowing some of that stuff. But it is what it is.

The highlight for me was hearing Nash tell that simple story about his father's approach to a work life balance. It sums up Nash's approach to everything ever. Good stuff.

I listened to the whole first episode because I wanted to give it a chance. There was some good in there for sure, but there was a lot of…not so good stuff, in my humble opinion. I always knew this, but this podcast pretty much confirmed that Kevin Nash doesn’t really care about pro wrestling all that much. And I don’t blame him for that. He has always viewed it as a business first and foremost, which is why he is doing this podcast. To make money. But he doesn’t really follow the product right now, and I really don’t want to hear any more old Kliq stories…especially ones which have been told a million times in shoot interviews or other podcasts. One episode in, and we are already rehashing the curtain call, and the time that Vince had to fly halfway cross the country to meet with them and hear their demands.

I also really don’t want to listen to a professional wrestler opine about politics. I didn’t like it when Cornette used to do it, and I don’t like it now. To his credit, Nash is definitely more intelligent than your average pro wrestler, but I really don’t want to spend my time listening to him and Sean Oliver discussing abortion, gun control, the 2024 presidential race, or any of that other stuff. I have a limited amount of time to listen to podcasts and there is a lot of competition for that time. I can’t see myself carving out two hours every week to listen to this show. It’s too damn long.

Nash came across as very sincere and heartfelt when he was discussing the last days of Scott Hall. That was very moving. And Sean Oliver as expected, was outstanding. He is so much better at this than any other possible host it’s not even close.

I was on the fence about listening to the second episode, when I saw what the topic is for this week. “Who would play the Kliq in a movie?”

Yeah…hard pass.

Yeah. I'm not sure why they are going that route with just their second topic. It definitely feels more like talk radio and less like a pro wrestling podcast. I don't know that I will listen consistently, but Nash is engaging enough and opinionated enough that I will probably pop in from time to time, depending on the subject matter.

I could also see why people would be more selective about what they listen to. I drive alot for my job, as well as spend about 2 hours in the gym 6 days a week. So i have a lot of time to sample this stuff at the moment. Otherwise, I doubt I would really bother. 

• 1 month later...

I tried, I really did. Once I heard that this podcast is now the number one rated and ranked podcast out of all professional wrestling podcasts, I went back and tried it again. I figured maybe I had missed something the first time. I just don’t get the appeal. The show is really long and the choice of topics are generally terrible. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
15 minutes ago, flyonthewall2983 said:

I can dig wrestlers talking about virtually anything else.

Sean Oliver's Lynch impersonation made my day. Did a pretty damn good job (Lynch is my favorite director ever and I love his music and art in general, so I'm quite familiar with his interviews). Should have made the hand gesture though (the Lynch fans know). Thanks for posting this.

That sure gives me the urge to check some of those clips too.

• 4 months later...