Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 8/31-9/6 Punctuation still breaks threads like Haaland is gonna break records

sek69

12 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

TK's quote about the roster being the strongest it's been boils down the Joker to MJF, Cole or Joe so I think all y'all have a valid point.

True, all three of those guys are legitimate contenders and I can see them in a World Title Match.

I mean, to be fair…Yuta, Penta, Rush, Andrade and Dante are good too…and I am sure all of them could be booked in an entertaining World Title Match on television, but not necessarily one where I would buy that the outcome was in doubt.

With Claudio, MJF, Joe or Cole…I would.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, DR Ackermann said:

As wrestling fans we tend to over speculate about everything, but couldn't it just boil down to the fact that their was (allegedly) an issue that they turned into a storyline and decided to give MJF some time off so the return would be a bigger deal? TKs booking patterns favor extended absences and give wrestlers lots of breaks. 

TK said that after this PPV AEW's roster would be the strongest it's ever been and hinted at a surprise. He's known to deliver on stuff like that.

Yeah, but there’s a difference between putting something on the back burner to reduce and get richer and just letting all the liquid evaporate. MJF got Wardlow so hot even three months of terrible booking haven’t totally cooled him off, but at this point, have you even thought about MJF in the last two months? MJF should have at least been out in the world talking shit or something, or they should have gone all in on the work and convinced people backstage he was really fired. It’s a little like how Summer of Punk 2 made no sense if WWE wasn’t willing to let Punk go pop a few big gates at some independent shows with the belt, just a total waste of what is actually interesting at the core of the concept. Which makes me think there was at least a little stank to the way it’s been handled so far, but eh, what do I know?

I think people are overreacting to MJF's absence - assuming it's all a work, which I personally believe it is.

This is a marathon, not a sprint.

He will instantly be molten lava hot the second he comes back, with these past few months receding into the background as just a blip on the radar.

18 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I think people are overreacting to MJF's absence - assuming it's all a work, which I personally believe it is.

This is a marathon, not a sprint.

He will instantly be molten lava hot the second he comes back, with these past few months receding into the background as just a blip on the radar.

Will he? Idk, I think that assuming the AEW audience will remain hot for everything AEW just because it’s AEW has to prove false at some point, especially three years in. MJF is mega over as an entertaining heel, but him being a quasi-sympathetic antihero is uncharted territory, especially if the strategy is to have him recite Jim Cornette-adjacent criticisms, whom a solid chunk of the smartest parts of that smart audience think is an irredeemable bigot whose AEW criticisms shouldn’t be taken seriously by anybody. (Note that I’m not commenting on the legitimacy of such accusations leveled at Corny, just that there are those who won’t even allow any criticisms substantially similar to one’s he’s made.) If MJF and/or Khan weren’t willing to really commit to this angle, do extra leg work to make it look like MJF really got fired or was really acting independently, I’m not sure that it was worth doing. It doesn’t work if it’s obviously worked, and it’s especially obviously worked in a world where Tony says “no comment” to this every time but shoots on talent for real on Twitter. Live by the shitpost, die by the shitpost.