Pro Wrestling Only

NXT's The Great American Bash - God Bless, America, and God Bless, Dominik Mysterio

C.S.

Steveson got serious heat instead of Dom's chickenshit heat. NXT crowd was rallying around Baron Corbin of all people like he was '84 Hogan. You know they figured Corbin was hated enough that it would protect Gable lol.  I think Steveson is going to be a star eventually, like it or not, however I agree with @KawadaSmile that it looked very much like his pro debut.

18 hours ago, sek69 said:

It is funny that the story here is "can the greatest amateur wrestler of his generation and Olympic gold medalist hang with a goober we've made the butt of every joke"

They thought Steveson was going to march right in as the All-American Wheaties Hero and that's out of the window already. They wrongly assumed Baron's heat would transfer into that situation. Corbin wouldn't be the guy to showcase Gable's abilities on the mat, y'know what I'm saying? Dragunov got absolutely *zero pop* for his entrance...at least Steveson got a reaction, a big one. They wanted Steveson to wrestle underneath and play the underdog, which @sek69 astutely mocked in the quote above.

It feels like they messed up, but the heat was so nuclear maybe he can play the big man on campus 5 star recruit where the office is constantly looking the other way and making excuses for him because of his gold medal. 

He got good reactions tossing around geeks after the NXT Underground match, and then they put him up against Baron Corbin....shouldn't have been a surprise to them that it might not go down the way they thought it would. 

I was actually surprised that the crowd was so pro-Corbin, I would have never expected in a million years to hear him get loud babyface reactions on an NXT show. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with Corbin as an opponent. He had terrific matches against Chad Gable, someone with the same background as Gable Stevenson, and the mat work worked great, and that's with Chag being considerably smaller.

Besides, Dragunov and Melo got the biggest reactions of the night. You can make a star out of Ilja, but I'm not sure there's much you can do with Stevenson.

Also, worth noting that Stevenson got a nice reaction in front of a much smaller crowd, and usually the Orland faithful are very much in agreement of what is presented to them, which is a nice thing. The problem is that in front of a larger capacity, his lack of charisma and obvious legal problems will be more of an issue.