Pro Wrestling Only

Smokey Mountain Wrestling Revival.

Autistic Dragon

image.png.8610e625e4bd88cfdffdf1399ec69c74.png

September 3rd, 1996.

Civic Coliseum in Knoxville Tennessee.

Smokey Mountain Wrestling presents Rebirth!

*The VHS starts with a sweeping shot of the mostly sold out venue before cutting to Bob Caudle standing in the ring alongside SMW's new owner Bert Prentice*

Caudle: Hello, wrestling fans I'm Bob Caudle welcoming you to the new and improved Smokey Mountain Wrestling, still bringing you pro wrestling the way it used to be, and the way you like it. I'm Bob Caudle and it is my pleasure to introduce to you the man responsible for the return of Smokey Mountain Wrestling Mr Bert Prentice. Bert before we get started I wanted to give you an opportunity to explain what made you bring back Smokey Mountain Wrestling 

Prentice: First of all Bob Caudle, I want to say it's an absolute privilege to stand in this ring with a legend of the wrestling business such as yourself and I'm so glad you agreed to come back and once again be the Voice of Smokey Mountain Wrestling. *This starts a round of applause for Caudle who accepts it with a humble smile. Prentice waits for it to die down before continuing* Now to answer your question, like a lot of these people I grew up on classic NWA style wrestling, the kind of wrestling you used to call for Jim Crockett Promotions. But I look around the pro wrestling scene nowadays and I barely recognize the sport I grew up loving. If it's not the folks up in New York sending out guys who look like they came out of your kids Saturday morning cartoons then it's guys like Paul Heyman and this Onita fella who think you can just have guys take turns hitting each other with a chair and call that a wrestling match. I brought back Smokey Mountain Wrestling because the business needs, perhaps more than ever, a promotion that respects the history, the legacy, the tradition of professional wrestling and that's what we're here to do tonight!

*Prentice's firey speech gets a big pop from the Knoxville faithful.*

Caudle: Well you'll certainly get no argument from on that. Speaking of why we're here tonight, you've promised over your various media appearances that tonight we're going to crown a brand new Smokey Mountain Wrestling Heavyweight Champion. Care to explain to the folks here and at home exactly how that's going to happen.

Prentice: Certainly Bob. Ladies and gentlemen tonight ten of the toughest professional wrestlers walking God's green earth are going head-to-head in five singles matches. The winners of those matches will meet in a over the top rope battle royal in the main event and the winner of the battle royal will be your brand new Smokey Mountain Wrestling Heavyweight Champion. Now I think you and I have taken up enough of these peoples time, let's get things started!

The Dirty White Boy vs "No Gimmicks Needed" Chris Candido

A 3 time SMW Heavyweight Champion vs a former NWA World Heavyweight Champion who'd held every title in SMW but the heavyweight strap. We get a fun contrast in styles with Candido's clinical heel work clashing with DWB's straight forward brawling. DWB is setting up for the "Bucksnort Blaster" (chokeslam from a back suplex position) but Candido slips out and performs an O'Connor roll with both hands full of tights for the win.

"Primetime" Brian Lee vs The Punisher

A competitive, hard-hitting match between two big men who can both move pretty well for their size. The end sees the first ever SMW Heavyweight Champion claim victory with the "Prime Time Slam" (Lee gets him up in a Canadian backbreaker before dropping to his knees)

The Heavenly Bodies (Tom Prichard & Jimmy Del Rey) vs George South and Hardbody Harrison

It wouldn't be a SMW show without the Heavenly Bodies. As you might expect, this was just a showcase for the 3 time tag champs which ends with "Giggelo" Jimmy pinning South with a splash from the top rope.

"Superstar" Bill Dundee vs Jake "The Snake" Roberts

The two crafty veterans put on an engaging battle of wits. Roberts plays the heel but Dundee isn't afraid to fight fire with fire. Dundee goes for his "Bomb's Away" sit-down splash but Jake gets his knees up and they catch Dundee where the sun don't shine, ref makes a judgment call that this doesn't count as a low blow. Dundee staggers up and Roberts pulls him into the DDT for the win.

"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan vs Bruiser Bedlam

A huge pop greets Duggan as he makes his SMW debut. Caudle hypes up that Bedlam once beat "Macho Man" Randy Savage in this very building. The two best seven shades of hell out of each other with Duggan scoring the k.o with his three point stance clothesline.

"Wild Eyes Southern Boy" Tracy Smothers vs "Dirty" Dutch Mantell

These two put on a classic southern style upper card match with plenty of brawling but some solid chain wrestling thrown in for flavor. The end sees "Dirty" Dutch live up to his nickname when a backslide with his feet on the ropes advances him to the main event.

The Rock n Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson) vs The Black Sheep (Wolfie D & Flash Flannigan)

Wolfie D is relatively well known in Tennessee thanks to a stint in the USWA while Flanagan had some appearances in SMW in 95. Wolfie D raps as they head to the ring with the lyrics insulting the fans and the city of Knoxville in general. The Rock n Roll Express come out to a great reaction from their home state. To their credit Wolfie and Flanagan show promise as a team but the experience of the RnR proves too much and Flanagan eats the double dropkick to give the 10 time SMW tag champs the win.

5 man battle royal. Winner becomes Smokey Mountain Wrestling Heavyweight Champion.

"No Gimmicks Needed" Chris Champion vs "Primetime" Brian Lee vs Jake "The Snake" Roberts vs "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan vs "Dirty" Dutch Mantell 

Lee and Candido head for each other as soon as the bell rings with Caudle putting over the shared history between them. Roberts and Duggan square off with Dutch discretely slides out of the ring.  Lee is able to get Candido over the top rope but Candido grabs him in a front facelock and pulls Lee over as well with the momentum carrying them both to the floor. The two keep fighting on the floor and security has to separate them. Back in the ring, after a back-and-forth struggle Duggan is able to land a clothesline that send Roberts over the top. Duggan and the crowd start celebrating but Mantell (who's been under the ring this whole time) re-enters the ring, comes up behind Duggan and nails him with a uppercut to the uprights. He uses the leverage that gives him to hoist Hacksaw over the ropes and to the floor. The video ends with Dutch Mantell holding the SMW Heavyweight Title, celebrating like he just won the Super Bowl single handedly, all the while boos rain down on him.

Yee haw! SMW is back! ;)

SMW Revival is more similar to W*ING USA in the 1996 project than one might think. We are both closer to regional territories than being like the national feds. Although, WCW/NWA are also doing more of a traditional program like SMW, which helps W*ING USA stand out.

A lot of the SMW names I had on my back up list ended up signing with you and it's good they're being used. Big fan, I can tell this is your bread and butter with the southern style!

Onita is a shooter but it's all a work! :P

image.png.3daaeeb9563fc0453dffa8e9c1a22d2c.png

Smoky Mountain Wrestling TV.

Taped at the Civic Auditorium in Knoxville TN on 9/6/96. Originally airing on 9/8/96.

On Commentary: Bob Caudle & Dutch Mantell.

Ring announcer: Tommy Noe

Interviews: Michael St John

The new Smoky Mountain intro plays with highlights from the previous era set to "The Hit" by Richard Myhill. The song continues over a sweeping shot of the sold out crowd before cutting to Caudle and Mantell in front of their desk, Dutch has the SMW Heavyweight Title over his shoulder.

Caudle: Hello, wrestling fans and welcome back to Smoky Mountain Wrestling. Wrestling the way it used to be, and how you like it. I'm Bob Caudle alongside, and I still can't believe this one, the NEW Smoky Mountain Wrestling Heavyweight Champion Dutch Mantell.

Mantell: Bob Caudle I can only imagine how thrilled you and all these Tennessee heathens are to have a champion you can actually be proud of. Ya see folks I'm not one of those people who reaches the heights of fame and fortune only to forget the little people I met on the way up. That's why I'm still gonna be out here every single week to give you the help you so desperately need on commentary.

Caudle: My how magnanimous of you. In any event we have an exciting hour of wrestling for you today. Listen to this main event, due to their heated exchange at Rebirth Brian Lee and Chris Candido will go one on one right here today! Also on tap for you is the return of a familiar face to long time fans of Smokey Mountain Wrestling, Killer Kyle. Also fans, the new owner of Smoky Mountain Wrestling Mr Bert Prentice will be here with a big announcement regarding the next major event for Smoky Mountain Wrestling. All that and more but now let's send it to the ring.

Match #1

The Gambler vs American Kickboxer

Gambler comes out to, appropriately, "The Gambler" by Kenny Rogers holding up a hand full of aces. AK comes out to "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas. Gambler uses his size to muscle AK around in the opening minutes. A attempt at Snake Eyes is countered and Gambler goes into the turnbuckle chest first. AK takes over and frustrates the bigger man with his speed and agility. The end sees AK come off the top with a Hurricanrana which he turns into a pin for the win.

Caudle: How about that Dutch! That fans is what happens when you don't give up.

Mantell: Well they say it ain't the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog and I gotta admit. Kickboxer just proved that to everybody. Of course if it had been me in there with him it would've been a different story.

Caudle: Well maybe one day you can get in there with him and show everyone how you'd handle him. Switching gears fans I'd like to welcome the owner of Smoky Mountain Wrestling Mr Bert Prentice who has a big announcement regarding our next major show.

Prentice: Thanks Bob, ladies and gentlemen on Saturday September 30th, Smoky Mountain Wrestling returns to the Paintsville High School Gymnasium in Paintsville, Kentucky for the Big Apple Grapple. On that night we will hold a one night 8 team tournament to crown brand new Smoky Mountain Tag Team Champions. All former tag champions are automatically entered into the tournament. That means Tracy Smothers and the Dirty White Boy, The Thugs are in it *pop*, that means the Heavenly Bodies *boos* are in it, and that means the Rock n Roll Express are in it *big pop*. Furthermore, over the next four weeks we will have a series of matches in which the winners will earn their way into the tournament, the first of those matches takes place on this very broadcast. The final team will be determined in a Wild Card battle royal at the Big Apple Grapple, the last two men in the match will be entered into the tournament as a team. 

Caudle: Wait a minute there, you're saying that we could end up with a team where the two men involved don't even like each other and they'll be in the tournament.

Prentice: That's exactly right Bob. They may like each other, not like each other heck they could be total strangers, as long as their the last two men in the Wild Card battle royal they'll be in the tournament. And one more thing before I go and Dutch I want to pay close attention because this involves you. Now I don't like how you won that title but what you did was within the rules so I'm not going to hold it against you. But one man is and he intends to do something about. That's why at the Big Apple Grapple you will defend the Smoky Mountain Heavyweight Championship against the man a lot of people think you stole it from, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan!

Prentice leaves to a notably bigger reaction then when he entered while Mantell shouts he'll whoop Duggan again. A grinning Caudle sends it back to the ring.

Match #2

Killer Kyle vs Paul Diamond

Kyle enters his classic theme "Green Onions" by Booker T & The MGs holding his signature violin case. Diamond enters to "Bad Company" by Bad Company. The former AWA World Tag Team Champion puts up a good fight but ultimately gets caught and planted with the "Rub-out" (spinebuster slam) to give Kyle the win.

VTR- We see panning shots of a rural woodland area before setting on two familiar looking men staring intently into the camera.

Man #1: We may come from Arkansas but we ain't no dang dirty pig farmers.

Man #2: We may not be brothers in blood but we are brothers in battle.

Man #1' I'm Mark Canterbury.

Man #2: And I'm Dennis Knight. Smoky Mountain Wrestling get ready...

Both: Cause The Arkansas Hit Squad is coming!

We see a logo reading "Arkansas Hit Squad" come on screen. A gun is cocked and fired twice with two bullet holes appearing in the logo.

VTR ends.

Match #3. Tag Title Tournament qualifier.

Mr #1 & The Nightstalker (George South & Tony Falk in masks) vs The Tennessee Volunteers (Reno Riggins & Steve Dunn)

The masked men are already in the ring as the Vols enter to "Dixieland Delight" by Alabama. The masked duo break every rule they can while trying to break their opponents but Riggins & Dunn buckle down and endure everything that's thrown at them. Their tenacity pays off when they catch Mr #1 with a double flapjack to punch their ticket to Paintsville.

We see a video package of Brian Christopher. When it ends Caudle announces that Christopher will make his debut for SMW next week.

Main event.

"No Gimmicks Needed" Chris Candido vs "Primetime" Brian Lee

Lee enters to "Everybody wants you" by Billy Squier while Candido swaggers out to "Get the Funk Out" by Extreme. Candido does NOT want to lock up with Lee and spends the whole match employing a hit-and-run strategy that irks Lee and the fans alike. Lee does get ahold of him eventually and batters him from pillar-to-post to loud cheers from the live crowd. The end sees Lee going ham on Candido in the corner causing the ref to have to separate them. This gives Candido the chance to reach into his tights and retrieve something. He goes for a punch with the object but Lee ducks and slips behind before picking Candido up for a back suplex. However Candido takes the opportunity to nail Lee with the loaded punch. Lee falls in a heap with Candido on top. Three seconds later, Candido is having his hand raised as boos fill the air.

Caudle: I don't believe this Dutch, Candido had something in his hand and he knocked out Brian Lee with it!

Mantell: I don't know what you're talking about Bob Caudle. The only thing Candido used to knock Lee out was a right hand between those beedy little eyes of his.

Caudle: Oh come off it Dutch. Well fans that'll do it for this this week. We'll see you next week, and until then, so long for now.

Two very good shows. Everything is structured well and there is a clear identity already. Chris Candido is already making a name for himself, and while he has the talent to carry himself far, he's doing things the easy way. Not everyone expected to see Mantell win the title, but perhaps he will bring early heat to the title chase picture, which will attract attention. Dutch Mantell vs Jim Duggan is the type of match that will certainly bring a lot of buzz to the promotion. Things are already looking promising for the SMW revival. 

Not that it's against the rules, but NWA is also using Dokken's "Into the Fire" as their show theme. Very cool song, clearly!

Big Apple Grapple sounds like it's gonna be fun. The tag division could be the best feature of SMW and the tournament will showcase that. I've always liked Battlebowl since I was a kid and I used a similar battle royal eliminator leading into a championship match concept for W*ING USA. My money would be on the Arkansas Hit Squad taking the gold but I've no idea yet who the final mystery team will be. 

33 minutes ago, MLB said:

Not that it's against the rules, but NWA is also using Dokken's "Into the Fire" as their show theme. Very cool song, clearly!

It is a cool song. Still if @Perfectly Straightedge called it first, then I shall let him have it. Thankfully Richard Myhill wrote a song I've long associated with pro wrestling.

Yeah I really enjoy SMW. It’s also a lot of fun for me. Cause it’s around the area I live. So it’s cool seeing this arenas that I am near being used when usually my area isn’t really a hotbed for anything. 

I like the talent you are using. Solid show and a very welcome addition to 96. 

image.png.713d071dfe866c88643ca7b29022a487.png

Taped at the Knoxville Civic Auditorium in Knoxville TN on 9/6/96 before airing on 9/15/96.

On Commentary: Bob Caudle & Dutch Mantell

Ring announcer: Kevin Noe

The Smoky Mountain intro plays with fast paced clips of SMW action set to "The Hit" by Richard Myhill before cutting to Caudle & Mantell.

Caudle: Hello wrestling fans and welcome back to Smoky Mountain Wrestling, pro wrestling the way it used to be and the way you like it. I'm Bob Caudle and alongside me as always, my tag team partner and yes, your Smoky Mountain Wrestling Heavyweight Champion Dutch Mantell. And Dutch what a show we have for everyone today.

Mantell: First things first Bob Caudle, I want to apologize in advance to the people at home and especially the fans in attendance for what you're going to see in today's main event. A disgusting, out of shape overhyped gorilla named Jim Duggan is going to be herded to the ring so he can get his fur and fleas all over the mat.

Caudle: Well you certainly came into work with a good attitude today Dutch. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were a bit nervous about defending your title against Duggan at the Big Apple Grapple on September 30th.

Mantell: Well it's a good thing you know better than isn't it? The only thing I'm nervous about in regards to Jim Duggan is that when he steps into the ring with Jake "The Snake" Roberts here in the main event, there won't be anything left for me when we get to Paintsville.

Caudle: Oh I'm sure you are Dutch. Well fans it's time to send it to the ring for our opening contest.

Match #1

Tarek the Great vs George South

The veteran journeyman South makes Tarek look like a killer selling his stiff strikes while putting up enough of a fight to make things interesting. Tarek wins with a slingshot sit-down Powerbomb Caudle dubs the "Dragon bomb".

Caudle: Well that was certainly an impressive debut for the man they call Tarek the Great. Wouldn't you say Dutch?

Mantell: No doubt about it. He went in there with a renown veteran like George South and he got the job done with I must say, not too much effort required. Tarek definitely has the making of a dangerous man here in Smoky Mountain Wrestling.

Caudle: Switching gears fans, we have a tape to show you of a man who will be making his debut at the Big Apple Grapple. Lets play it now.

We see a video of Highlights of the career of "The Unpredictable" Dick Slater set to "Hellrasier" by Ozzy Osbourne. We see plenty of bloody brawling as well as Slater making people submit to the Figure Four leg-lock.

Caudle: Dutch you've known Dick Slater a long time, what can the fans at home, some of whom may never have seen Dick Slater in action, expect from him at the Big Apple Grapple?

Mantell: Well Bob Caudle, there's a reason why Dick Slater is known the world over a Unpredictable. And that's because you can never really guess what he's going to do from one minute to the next. Sufficed to say I'll be watching his debut at the Big Apple Grapple with great interest.

Caudle: Speaking of debuts, we promised it last week and here it is fans, the Smoky Mountain debut of "Too Sexy" Brian Christopher. Let's head to the ring.

Match #2

Reggie B. Fine vs "Too Sexy" Brian Christopher 

Fine is a muscular black man who has a history of competing for the USWA. He uses a solid power game to keep Christopher off balance. Eventually Christopher battles back with some flashy high-flying offense. Fine misses a splash in the corner and Christopher comes behind with a full nelson into a facebuster which Mantell calls the "Chris-cross".

Local tag team Rough and Ready are warming up in the ring while Caudle is listing off SMW's upcoming live events when he gets cut off by a familiar face approaching the booth.

Caudle:.... Wait a minute...Daryl Van Horne?

Horne: Bob Caudle don't you dare address me by that ridiculous moniker ever again. That name represents the worst period of my career. I came to Smoky Mountain Wrestling determined to make a name for myself in the world of professional wrestling. Well I certainly made a name for myself alright, as the idiot in a fez cap waving around a Taco Bell menu to control a man wrapped in toilet paper who I was supposed to pretend was a 4,000 year old mummy. And when that idea proved too stupid for even these mouth breathing hillbillies to buy, I was stuck with a samurai who was about as Japanese as the Eiffel Tower. Well no more, I renounce Prince Khariss, I renounce Kendo the make believe samurai and I especially renounce the name Daryl Van Horne. My name is Father James Mitchell and for the shame and indignities that Smoky Mountain Wrestling has placed upon me *he pulls a whistle out of his coat pocket* I unleash the hounds of hell upon you!

Mitchell blows the whistle and two burly blonde men in tattered blue jeans burst through the curtain and storm the ring. An gasp fill the building when the fans are able to recognize who they are with Caudle sharing their shock.

Caudle: Good Lord Dutch, it's the Moondogs!

Match #3

Rough and Ready vs The Moondogs (Rex & Spot) w/"Father" James Mitchell

Rough and Ready just didn't stand a chance. The Moondogs are at their vicious, chaotic best as they batter the poor jobbers from pillar-to-post. Rough gets pinned by a backbreaker/elbowdrop combination after a few minutes but the beating continues long after the bell. The ref has to threaten to reverse the decision before Mitchell blows the whistle again and leads his "hellhounds" to the back, their spot in the tag title tournament secured.

We see another video of the Arkansas Hit Squad. This one is a series of clips of them in matches and ends by announcing their arrival next week.

Main Event.

Jake "The Snake" Roberts vs "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan 

Roberts comes out to "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" by AC/DC with his infamous bag slung over his shoulder. Duggan comes out to a big pop and "Living in America" by James Brown. They put on a good show of brains vs brawn with both men looking strong. Roberts goes for his patented DDT but Duggan powers out with a back body drop. He waits for Roberts to get up before flattening him with the 3 point stance lariat for the 1..2...3. Duggan celebrates with the fans when he sees Dutch getting off commentary and approaching the ring. The show ends with the two of them jaw-jacking at each other with Duggan holding the ropes open for Dutch who holds the SMW Heavyweight Title high.

Using Dutch on commentary is a good way of getting the title established.

Rare to see Jake take a clean pin, I don't recall Jake doing that many jobs.

Nice intro for the Moondogs.

Surprised to see Christopher booked as a babyface, I always viewed him as a heel, but I'm interested to explore that side of him. 

image.png.e87803909414787b5651e15c7de6a060.png

From the Morristown-Hamblen High School East in Morristown TN.

Taped 9/20/96, originally airing on 9/22/96.

Ring announcer: Tommy Noe

The Smoky Mountain intro plays to "The Hit" by Richard Myhill before cutting to Caudle Mantell, the SMW Heavyweight Title over his shoulder at the desk.

Caudle: Hello wrestling fans and welcome back to Smoky Mountain Wrestling, pro wrestling the way it used to be and the way you like it. I'm Bob Caudle alongside my tag team partner and your Smoky Mountain Heavyweight Champion *Dutch proudly pats the title* "Dirty" Dutch Mantell. We have another exciting hour for you today including the return of the ever dangerous Bruiser Bedlam.

Mantell: Bruiser Bedlam has beaten absolute legends like Bob Armstrong, Tracy Smothers and even the "Macho Man" himself Randy Savage. I've been in the locker room when Bruiser Bedlam walks in the room and let me tell folks the mood changes and I guarantee you Bob Caudle the mood is gonna change out here when that man walks through the curtain.

Caudle: Not only that fans but after weeks of video, we will see the debut of the team now known as The Arkansas Hit Squad. Dutch I understand you spoke to the Arkansas Hit Squad earlier today. Anything to share with us?

Mantell: I did have a brief conversation with them as they were arriving to the building and they made one thing clear, their stint up north may have people treating them like some kind of joke. Well later today in their tag team tournament qualifer, Canterbury and Knight look to prove to the wrestling world that their a lot of things but they are certainly not a joke.

Caudle: We'll certainly be looking forward to that and much more on this week's addition of Smoky Mountain Wrestling. Let's send it to the ring for our opening contest.

Match #1

"Sweet Music Man" Billy Joe Travis vs Nick Dinsmore

Dinsmore is a 21 year old trainee of "Nightmare" Danny Davis from Louisville Kentucky. Travis is a 15 year veteran and seems to take him lightly allowing Dinsmore to show off his moves a bit. After a nearfall Travis turns it up and his experience, particularly in bending the rules, proves too much to overcome and he falls to the "Just a swingin" neckbreaker.

*We cut to backstage where a slim moustached man stands in front of the SMW banner*

St John: Hello ladies and gentlemen, my name is Michael St John and  I'm proud to join the Smoky Mountain Wrestling family. I'll be handling the backstage interviews from now on and my first guest is a man integral to the history of Smoky Mountain Wrestling, a triple crown Champion as they say, ladies and gentlemen "Primetime" Brian Lee!

Lee: Thank you Michael and may I say welcome aboard. *Lee extends a hand which St John accepts*

St John: Thank you very much. Now I understand you requested this time to speak about your match two weeks ago with Chris Candido, I man, may I say, you have quite the history with here in Smoky Mountain Wrestling.

Lee: That we do, in fact let me give a quick history lesson for the newcomers in the audience. Ya see back in 94 Chris and I were running buddies in fact we even became tag team champions together. But the second things started going a little rough he and his blonde floozy turned their backs on me. Skip forward two years, a new era for Smoky Mountain Wrestling but but the same old Chris Candido. And he proved it two weeks ago when he took the easy way out. Well Chris I spoke to Bert Prentice earlier in the week and he agreed with me that our issue is far from settled. And that's why it's gonna be you and me, one more time at the Big Apple Grapple on September 30th in Paintsville Kentucky. And this time there is no easy way out for you and you're gonna find out what I've known for a long time. You may be good Chris but you're not ready for Primetime.

Match #2

"Tough" Tony Falk vs Koko Ware 

A fun contrast in styles sees Ware frustrate the brawling Falk while also showing off his personality to the receptive crowd before taking the win with a missile dropkick.

*VTR- we see Dick Slater sitting in a rocking chair on a ranch house. He says he's made a career traveling the world taking on the toughest men the business has to offer and he's constantly looking for his next worthy opponent. Says he's heard stories of Smoky Mountain Wrestling and everybody says that's where all the toughest wrestlers come to prove themselves. At the Big Apple Grapple Dick Slater proves that while a lot has changed in pro wrestling one thing remains the same, Dick Slater is the baddest man to lace up a pair of boots and he dares anyone to come to that ring and prove him wrong. -VTR ends*

Match #3. Tag Team Title Tournament qualifer.

The Arkansas Hit Squad (Mark Canterbury & Dennis Knight) vs Mad Man Pondo & Rollin Hard

As Dutch alluded to, The AHS were all business and took it to their opponents. Pondo and RH put up a good fight but the tag experience of Canterbury and Knight triumphed when they put RH away with a back suplex/neckbreaker combo Mantell calls the "Hangman's Noose".

*Caudle hypes the main event for next week's go-home show which will see Dutch Mantell & Jim Duggan each select a partner for a tag team match. Mantell says he's got the night off next week because nobody will want to team with Duggan and he's pick can take care of "Slackjaw Jim" by himself."

Main event.

Bruiser Bedlam vs Brickhouse Brown

A very physical main event which sees both men looking strong until James Mitchell comes down and starts yelling at Brown. This gets his attention long enough for Bedlam to nail him with a clothesline to the back of the head before slapping on a double stomach claw. Brown tries to hang on but ultimately has to submit. Mitchell shoves the ref out of the way to raise Bedlam's hand himself.

Caudle: My word Dutch! First the Moondogs and now Bruiser Bedlam? James Mitchell is building quite the force 

Mantell: Without a doubt, James Mitchell is quickly becoming a man the entire Smoky Mountain Wrestling locker room needs to keep an eye on.

Caudle: Yes indeed. Well fans that'll do it for this week, we'll see you next week and until then, so long for know.

image.png.52051e9a4e324f0bc2948913f3056a4f.png

From the Morristown-Hamblen High School Gymnasium in Morristown TN.

Taped 9/20/96, originally airing on 9/29/96.

Ring Announcer: Tommy Noe.

After the intro, Caudle welcomes the fans in his usual style. He points out it's 24 hours until the Big Apple Grapple in Paintsville Kentucky but before that there's two huge tag team matches on today's show. First the former AWA World Tag Team Champions, Paul Diamond and Pat Tanaka, reunite to take on Wolfie D and Flash Flannigan, The Black Sheep. In addition, the main event will see SMW Heavyweight Champion Dutch Mantell & the man who will challenge him in Paintsville "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan each select a partner for a tag team match. Mantell repeats his line from last week that nobody will want to team with Duggan especially when they realize who he's found as a partner. Caudle tries to tease it out of him but Dutch isn't sharing.

Match #1.

The Nightstalker vs American Kickboxer

The masked man gets a bit of shine but this is mostly about showcasing the speed and agility of AK who wins with the springboard hurricanrana.

The Rock n Roll Express join St John. They put over how happy they are to be back in SMW, where they appreciate traditional professional wrestling not trying to light people on fire for shock value. They've been apart of many great tournaments but the one at Big Apple Grapple is shaping up to be something special. They admit that their a bit long in the tooth compared to some on the SMW roster but they promise they've got plenty of fight left in them and they'll prove it by walking out of Paintsville 11 time SMW Tag Team Champions.

Match #2. Tag Title tournament qualifer.

The Black Sheep (Wolfie D & Flash Flannigan) vs Badd Company (Paul Diamond & Pat Tanaka)

Wolfie again raps on the way to the ring with Flanagan acting as if it's the greatest thing he's ever heard. Badd Company comes out to "Bad Company" by Bad Company in their traditional blue zebra stripes. BC haven't teamed in about 2 years but they find their rhythm quick enough. Wolfie and Flanagan lack experience but make up for it with a willingness to bend the rules. This ultimately backfires thought as Wolfie tries to hold onto Tanaka but when Flanagan tries to charge him, he moves out of the way causing Flanagan to crash into his own partner. Wolfie falls to the floor while Tanaka tags in Diamond. Tanaka slingshot Flanagan into Diamond who catches him with a jumping DDT for the 1,2,3. Curiously, Wolfie D shakes his head and walks off leaving Flanagan laying in the ring.

Caudle and Dutch are hyping the arrival of Dick Slater at the Big Apple Grapple when Killer Kyle approaches the desk. As is his custom, he says nothing but retrieves a photo from his coat pocket. He unfolds it and holds it up to the camera revealing a pic of Dick Slater with a cross hair imposed on it. A smirking Kyle walks away, his nonverbal message received loud and clear.

Match #3

The Gambler vs "Too Sexy" Brian Christopher 

A reasonably competitive match that Christopher wins with the "Chris-cross". Caudle hypes Christopher as someone who could be a key player in SMW going forward (Dutch left before the match started).

SMW owner Bert Prentice joins Bob Caudle to reveal the official brackets for the Tag Team Titles tournament...

"Wild Card" battle royal. Final two enter the tournament as a team.

The Thugs (Tracy Smothers & Dirty White Boy) vs The Tennessee Volunteers (Reno Riggins & Steve Dunn)

Badd Company (Paul Diamond & Pat Tanaka) vs The Arkansas Hit Squad (Mark Canterbury & Dennis Knight)

The Rock n Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson) vs The Moondogs (Rex & Spot) w/"Father" James Mitchell 

The Heavenly Bodies (Tom Prichard & Jimmy Del Rey) vs "Wild Card" winners

Non-tournament matches

Smoky Mountain Wrestling Heavyweight Title.

"Dirty" Dutch Mantell(c) vs "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan 

"Primetime" Brian Lee vs "No Gimmicks Needed" Chris Candido 

"The Unpredictable" Dick Slater vs Killer Kyle.

Bell time: 7pm

*Dutch comes out first and introduces his partner, Bull Pain. At 6'2, 260lbs, with a bald head and dressed in biker attire, Pain certainly gives off the vibe of someone you don't want to mess with. Duggan is out next and commends Dutch for finding "one bad dude" for a partner. He on the other hand wanted a guy whos ready for anything, who's done it all and seen it all. So he introduces...."Superstar" Bill Dundee!

Main Event.

SMW Heavyweight Champion "Dirty" Dutch Mantell & Bull Pain vs "Hacksaw Jim Duggan & "Superstar" Bill Dundee 

A fun tag main event. Dutch only ever comes in when one of the opposition is down and in trouble. He also does whatever he can to avoid being in the ring with Duggan for too long. Things break down with all four men brawling. Duggan and Mantell pair up and they spill through the ropes. Back in the ring, Pain goes for a slam on Dundee who holds on and turns it into a inside cradle for the surprise 3 count. On the floor Dutch & Duggan have been separated and a nervous looking Dutch is holding the title tight as the show ends.

image.png.230866e2f3904fe64f0f99b677b1f8e0.png

September 30, 1996

Paintsville High School Gymnasium in Paintsville Kentucky.

Smoky Mountain Wrestling presents the 1996 Big Apple Grapple!

Bob Caudle and Bert Prentice welcome the fans in the sold out Gymnasium and guarantee a action packed night of wrestling.

Brickhouse Brown & Koko Ware win the "Wild Card" Battle Royal and are the final team entered into the tournament.

Smoky Mountain Tag Title Tournament Quarterfinals.

The Thugs (Tracy Smothers & The Dirty White Boy) defeat The Tennessee Volunteers (Reno Riggins & Steve Dunn) when Smothers pinned Dunn with the "Tennessee Jawbreaker". Both teams shake hands after the match.

The Arkansas Hit Squad (Mark Canterbury & Dennis Knight) defeat Badd Company (Paul Diamond & Pat Tanaka) with the "Hangman's Noose" on Diamond.

The Rock n Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson) vs The Moondogs (Rex & Spot) w/"Father" James Mitchell ends in a double count-out.

The Heavenly Bodies (Tom Prichard & Jimmy Del Rey) defeat Brickhouse Brown & Koko Ware by hitting Ware with the "Starfall" (Prichard gets on the second rope, Del Rey places Ware on his shoulder allowing Prichard to preform a falling powerslam)

Non tournament match.

"The Unpredictable" Dick Slater defeats Killer Kyle with the Figure Four leg-lock.

Smoky Mountain Tag Title Tournament Semifinals.

The Thugs defeat The Arkansas Hit Squad when Smothers ducks under a Canterbury clothesline and pulls him into a backslide.

The Heavenly Bodies receive a bye to the finals.

Non tournament match.

"Primetime" Brian Lee defeats "No Gimmicks" Needed Chris Candido. Candido had Lee in a schoolboy with his feet on the ropes which the ref noticed and broke up the pin. Candido argued with the ref allowing Lee to score a big boot followed by the "Primetime Slam".

Smoky Mountain Tag Title Tournament Finals.

The Thugs defeat The Heavenly Bodies when a rare misfire causes Prichard to hit his own partner with a Superkick. Prichard went to check on Del Rey allowing DWB to come from behind with the "Bucksnort Blaster" to give The Thugs their second SMW Tag title reign.

Main Event. Smoky Mountain Wrestling Heavyweight Title.

"Dirty" Dutch Mantell(c) defeats "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan when Mantell pulled the ref in front of a charging Duggan allowing him to retrieve the title belt and KO Duggan with it.

Dutch Mantell bests Jim Duggan...but will that be the last he sees of the Hacksaw?

The Thugs win the tag team tournament finals in a bit of a surprise to me, but perhaps they'll prove why they are deserved winners in due course. A talented team nonetheless.

Brian Lee vs Chris Candido might have been a potential gem in the undercard.

image.png.40726f35e632d273eaee06e2c4041844.png

From the Paintsville High School Gymnasium in Paintsville Kentucky.

Taped 10/1/96 before originally airing 10/6/96.

Ring Announcer: Kevin Noe

Backstage interviews: Michael St John

We see a series of still shots of the action at the Big Apple Grapple before the usual Smoky Mountain intro. We cut to Caudle Mantell (the SMW Heavyweight Title over his shoulder) at the booth joined by SMW owner Bert Prentice who has the SMW Tag Team Titles with him.

Caudle: Hello wrestling fans and welcome to another exciting week of Smoky Mountain Wrestling, pro wrestling the way it used to be and the way you like it. I'm Bob Caudle alongside my tag team partner and the man who is, by hook or crook, still your Smoky Mountain Heavyweight Champion "Dirty" Dutch Mantell (Mantell holds the title proudly while Prentice rolls his eyes) and joining us right now is the owner of Smoky Mountain Wrestling Mr Bert Prentice and Bert I understand you have a few announcements for us today.

Prentice: I certainly do Bob. First of all I want to thank everyone who came out to join us for the Big Apple Grapple and helped make it a tremendously successful night for Smoky Mountain Wrestling. And for those of you who for whatever reason couldn't make it, well don't you worry cause before too long the Big Apple Grapple will be available on Smoky Mountain Wrestling home video just like Rebirth. And I also wanna announce that the next big event for Smoky Mountain Wrestling will come on October 28th when we present Halloween Scream from the Freedom Hall Civic Center in Johnson City Tennessee. All the biggest stars of Smoky Mountain Wrestling will be there and Dutch (the champ looks at Prentice a little surprised to be singled out) I'll have a announcement as to how you'll be spending that weekend but that's for next week. Right now I want to introduce to everyone your brand new Smoky Mountain Wrestling Tag Team Champions, Tracy Smothers and The Dirty White Boy... The Thugs!

*The Thugs come out to their theme "Tuff Enuff" by The Fabulous Thunderbirds and a huge pop from the live crowd.*

Prentice: Gentlemen it is my privilege to award you these titles and I think I speak for everyone here when I say congratulations to you both.

Smothers: Thank you very much Mr Prentice. You know I've been representing Smoky Mountain Wrestling since November of 92 and my man the Dirty White Boy was here basically from the beginning and we're both so proud to be the tag team champions again but also show a whole new crop of fans what being a Thug is all about.

DWB: Hey Mr Prentice, it just hit me you're pretty new around here, do you know what Thug stands for yet?

Prentice: Well, can't say that I do. Can you explain it to me real quick?

Smothers: *big grin on his face* with pleasure boss man. *Clears throat" T is for Terrible!

DWB: H is for Hell!

Smothers: U is for Ugly!

DWB: G is for Jail....

Both: Cause Thugs can't spell.

(Caudle sends us to break while the crowd pops and Prentice just about dies laughing.)

Match #1

George South vs Wolfie D

Wolfie D has a little extra bite in everything he does as he takes it to the journeyman South before finishing him with a spinning crucifix bomb.

Wolf D joins Michael St John and immediately starts running down Flash Flannigan calling him "dead weight who was crimping my style". Says he teamed with Flanagan cause he felt bad for him only to be let down when it counted. After some more of this, Flanagan runs down and a brawl breaks out between the now former partners. Just as Flanagan seems to take the advantage, two men dressed similar to Wolfie D run down and jump on him. One is short with a mohawk while the other is about 6'4 with long brown hair. The three men beat down Flanagan until security finally gets between them and the trio retreat laughing and high-fiveing the whole way.

Match #2

Bobby Blaze vs Bart Sawyer

A solid if unspectacular TV match. Sawyer shows plenty of craftiness and manages a couple of near falls but the former SMW Heavyweight Champion is able to seal the deal with the "Blaze Blaster"(northern lights suplex)

We see footage of the chaotic ending to the match between The Moondogs and The Rock n Roll Express at the Big Apple Grapple. Caudle announces that the two teams will meet again in today's main event.

Match #3

Nick Dinsmore vs "No Gimmicks Needed" Chris Candido 

Dinsmore once again shows considerable promise as a wrestler but Candido is just on another level right now. After several engaging exchanges Candido takes the win with the "New Jersey Jam"(top rope leg drop)

Before the main event, Dutch says he spoke to The Heavenly Bodies earlier and they told him they have a big surprise in store for next week when they take on Badd Company.

Main Event.

The Rock n Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson) vs The Moondogs (Rex &  Spot) w/"Father" James Mitchell 

The Moondogs jump the Express just before the bell to take the early advantage. As tends to happen, Morton is isolated for a good chunk of the match and plays "face in peril" as only he can. Finally Gibson gets the tag and is a house of fire. Things break down near the end but Gibson is able to get Rex in a sunsetflip and just barely hold the wildman down for the 3. The Moondogs aren't finished yet and the two teams are still fighting when time runs out.

Caudle: My word it is utter chaos in there right now. We'll try to get this under control fans. But that'll do it for this week, we'll see you next week and until then, so long for now.

image.png.702361999b2221789e913c400c530fbc.png

From the Paintsville High School Gymnasium in Paintsville Kentucky.

Taped 10/1/96 before originally airing on 10/13/96.

Ring Announcer: Kevin Noe 

After the usual Smoky Mountain intro, we cut to the booth where SMW owner Bert Prentice is joining Caudle and Mantell. After Caudle welcomes the audience to the episode he turns things over to Prentice. The boss says that after the controversial finish to the Smoky Mountain Heavyweight Championship match at the Big Apple Grapple, the Smoky Mountain Championship Committee has agreed that not only will Duggan get a rematch in Halloween Scream, it will be in a Trick or Treat match where they'll be "Halloween goodies" spread throughout the arena for the two of them to beat each other senseless with. Dutch is flustered at first but recovers his usual bluster and promises Duggan a "holiday scare he'll never forget."

Match #1

Flash Flanagan vs Mr #1

It's all Flanagan as he vents his frustration on the masked man before finishing him off with a move Caudle calls the "Whip Flash" (blockbuster).

Flanagan joins St John after the match and he informs Flanagan that Wolfie D has sent in a tape to be shown. We see Wolfie D with the two men from last week rolling dice in a seedy looking alley. He introduces the shorter man as his "real main man JC Ice" and the bigger man as Cash Flo. Says it's good to be surrounded by "real homies" again and warns "lil Flashy boy" that if he sticks his nose in their "biddness" again he'll learn the real meaning of street justice. JC Ice finishes by saying all the parents watching are on notice that from now on, Smoky Mountain Wrestling TV is rated....PG-13! After the tape ends a fuming Flanagan says not only is he not afraid to stick his nose in their business, he challenges any of them to meet him in the ring next week!

Match #2

"Sweet Music Man" Billy Joe Travis vs Rollin' Hard

RH shows plenty of heart and a willingness to take risks as he gives Travis a fight the veteran clearly didn't expect. Still he takes one risk too many allowing Travis to score the win via the "Just a swingin" neckbreaker

VTR- A camera makes sweeping shots of a graveyard at night before settling on a lit bonfire. From the surrounding darkness emerge the figures of James Mitchell, Bruiser Bedlam and The Moondogs. Mitchell says a great darkness is coming to Smoky Mountain Wrestling and it shall spread to every corner of the land. He and his men are the harbingers of this darkness and shall insure none escape. He vows to rid SMW of the Rock n Roll Express and his "Hell Hounds" will do just that at Halloween Scream in a double dog collar match, if the Express have the nerve to accept that is. Speaking of challenge people's nerves, he throws out an open challenge to see if anyone on the SMW roster has the courage to face his "engine of destruction" Bruiser Bedlam. Mitchell says at Halloween Scream his Disciples of the New Church will drive a stake through the heart of Smoky Mountain Wrestling. Mitchell cackles while Bedlam and The Moondogs roar/howl their accent. -end VTR.

Match #3

"Primetime" Brian Lee vs The Kentucky Killer

A basic squash match with Lee claiming the win with the "Primetime Slam"

Lee joins St John and reveals that since he and Chris Candido are tied 1-1 in the new era of Smoky Mountain Wrestling, he decided they needed a tie breaker. He took his idea to the matchmakers and they gave him his treat but also a trick as it Brian Lee vs Chris Candido at Halloween Scream in a Prince of Darkness match.

Main Event.

Badd Company (Paul Diamond & Pat Tanaka) vs The Heavenly Bodies (Tom Prichard & Jimmy Del Rey)

The Heavenly Bodies promised a big surprise and they delivered when they walked through the curtain accompanied by none other than.....Jim Cornette! The live audience erupted with boos when they realized the "Louisville Lip" was amongst them once again. The match that followed was a classic display of tag team wrestling with both teams getting a chance to show off. Diamond goes for a move off the top but a distracted ref doesn't see Cornette jump up and grabbing Diamond's leg crotching him on the top turnbuckle. The Bodies take advantage of his positioning to hit "Starfall" for the tainted win.

Mantell: Ya see that Caudle? First match back and Cornette's already righted the ship. The man's a genius I tell ya.

Caudle: Well he's certainly something Dutch. Well fans that'll be it for this week, we'll see you next week and until then so long for now.