Pro Wrestling Only

Qualifying Match #1

Loss

(Unfortunately, the poll option isn't going to work since we have no way to see who voted, so Coffey is going to end up getting his way.)

Choose the wrestler who you think belongs more in a tournament of the greatest of the promotion from 1985 to 2005. Please do not factor their work in other companies into your decision. Voting will end Sunday at 12:00 CST. Please provide your answer with a mere name on the first line, and if you choose to elaborate, do so after making your pick. Thank you.

Taijiri

He's made just the same impact on the upper card that Mero did (read: occasional flirtations with the top guys, but nothing substained) and he's a far better worker. He's also doubled Mero's tenure in the company by now.

Guest Alfdogg

I have to go with Marc Mero.

During his "Wildman" period, I hadn't seen moves like Mero was doing before. The SSP, the moonsault bouncing off the ropes (though he may have already been doing that as Johnny B. Badd)...I hadn't seen any of that kind of offense before. I had been out of the loop for a little while at the time and hadn't seen Benoit, Eddy, etc. in WCW, so Mero's stuff was actually pretty mindblowing to me at the time. He was also the last guy who, despite having eye candy at ringside, was really able to get his matches over without most of the heat being focused on his valet. Unfortunately, that wouldn't last long.

Guest teke184

Tajiri.

If Mero had gone longer in his "Marvelous Marc" run before blowing out his knee, I'd have given the nod to him. However, "wife-beater Marc" never got over nearly as well and he was coasting along on the coattales of Sable for his last two years in the company.

Tajiri. Not just because of the better workrate but because he wasn't Johnny B. Badd. He didn't have a shitty boxing match with Scotty Flamengo.

Please remember that this is a WWF list. You mentioned ECW with Terry Funk and WCW with Mero, so I just wanted to remind you in case you forgot.

Guest Some Guy

Tajiri. He's has been in the company 4 years now, Mero was in for 3 (96-98). Tajiri was very over and still pops the crowd, outside of the SSP and the Merosault, Marc popped nothing.

Guest The Man in Blak

I'd vote Tajiri, though it's not the complete landslide that most may think it is. (It's more an indictment of Mero than anything else - most of Tajiri's best work is in ECW, in my opinion.)