Pro Wrestling Only

Qualifying Match #6

Loss

Choose the wrestler who you think belongs more in a tournament of the greatest of the promotion from 1985 to 2005. Please do not factor their work in other companies into your decision. Voting will end Sunday at 12:00 CST. Please provide your answer with a mere name on the first line, and if you choose to elaborate, do so after making your pick. Thank you.

Guest teke184

Bad News Brown.

Adonis would have been a choice if the timeline went back to about 1983 or 1984, at least to the point where he and Dick Murdoch held the tag titles.

Bad News, OTOH, was an underappreciated guy at the time who was certainly colorful to say the least. The attitude he gave off always made him seem much higher on the heel food chain than he really was.

Bad News Brown

Go back three more years and Adrian is an easy pick, but he was an embarrassment during this era. BNB was an influential character.

But what about Bad News Brown's work in the ring? Can you direct me to any matches that were worth watching for work value or historical value or even markout value?

Bad News Brown

Go back three more years and Adrian is an easy pick, but he was an embarrassment during this era. BNB was an influential character.

But what about Bad News Brown's work in the ring? Can you direct me to any matches that were worth watching for work value or historical value or even markout value?
Probably not. I don't really have to. Adrian Adonis was John Heidenreich or Gene Snitsky-level embarrassing during this time though, so I'd probably vote for anyone else against him.

Guest Some Guy

Bad News Brown

The match with Hogan where he said, "It Ghettoblaster time, fool!" That's a mark out moment for me anyway.

Bad News Brown. He had a run with Hogan and Savage in Main Events. Adonis had the feud with Piper and that was about it, post 85.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Bad News Brown

For all the reasons mentioned about why Adonis was terrible during this time. Brown never got his due.

Bad News Brown

Probably not. I don't really have to. Adrian Adonis was John Heidenreich or Gene Snitsky-level embarrassing during this time though, so I'd probably vote for anyone else against him.
I still don't see how Bad News did anything better than the feud with Piper.

Bad News gets the nod by simply not embarrassing himself. Adrian Adonis from 1985-1987 was BAAAAAAAAAD. There's no case for him whatsoever. Bad News Brown may not have been great, but he was never as bad as Adonis in the latter stages of his career. Few have been.

Bad News Brown

I still don't see how Bad News did anything better than the feud with Piper.
Do you remember Brown's brief feud with Randy Savage? Was great for the short time it was and could've been even better if they blew it off on a PPV (although I'm sure Vince isn't taking back Hogan vs. Savage at all). Brown's attacking of Tunney after accusing him of "accepting favors from Elizabeth" is ahead of its time in a way. Savage and Brown had some good street fights in the house show circuit (I remember watching one from Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto that they taped for TV and I remember really liking it). Also, Brown partly contributed to the break-up of the Mega-Powers (see Royal Rumble 1989). This was when Brown was rollin'. I also remember him challenging Hogan at the time and claiming that Hogan wearing yellow was symbolic of his real nature. Good, good stuff.

Let's not forget WrestleMania IV and Bret Hart either. I never saw a match between the two, but I recall hearing that Hart and Brown had some good house show stuff too. That would be quite the summer actually. House shows of Savage-Dibiase and Hart-Brown. Good times!