Pro Wrestling Only

Tenative Matchlist for the Rock 3 DVD set

sek69

from somewhere that c/p'ed it from Amazon:

Disc One

3/31/97: Rocky Maivia vs Bret Hart(IC title Raw)

2/10/97: Rocky Maivia vs HHH(IC Title, Raw)

8/30/98: The Rock vs HHH(Ladder Match for IC title, Summerslam)

9/27/98: The Rock vs Ken Shamrock vs Mankind(Triple Threat Cage Match, Breakdown)

1/24/99: The Rock vs Mankind(I Quit Match for the WWF Title, Royal Rumble)

4/25/99: The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin(WWF Title, Backlash)

2/14/00: The Rock vs Chris Benoit(Raw)

4/30/00: The Rock vs HHH(WWF Title, Backlash)

Disc Two

5/21/00: The Rock vs HHH(Iron Man Match for WWF Title, Judgement Day)

7/23/00: The Rock vs Chris Benoit(WWF Title DQ stipulation, Fully Loaded)

10/22/00: The Rock vs Kurt Angle(WWF Title, No Mercy)

2/25/01: The Rock vs Kurt Angle(WWF Title, No Way Out)

4/1/01: The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin(WWF Title, Wrestlemaina X-7)

Disc Three

8/19/01: The Rock vs Booker T(WCW Championship Match, Summerslam)

10/21/01: The Rock vs Chris Jericho(WCW Championship, No Mercy)

11/3/01: The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin(WWF Title, Rebellion)

1/20/02: The Rock vs Chris Jericho(WWF Undisputed Title, Royal Rumble)

3/17/02: The Rock vs Hollywood Hogan(Wrestlemaina X-8)

8/25/02: The Rock vs Brock Lesnar(WWE Undisputed Championship, Summeslam)

3/30/03: The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin(Wrestlemaina 19)

3/14/04: The Rock & Mick Foley vs Randy Orton, Batista, and Ric Flair(Wrestlemaina XX)

Apparently Rock had control over which matches went on the set, which probably explains why there doesn't seem to be any obvious gaps.

I can see the reasoning behind including Benoit matches, not so much for representing Benoit, but for representing The Rock. Rock's matches just really got so much better after being programmed against Benoit for so long. There is a clear difference in him before and after, in terms of in-ring.

When I see a set like this, it to me boosts the case for a lot of second-tier guys who jumped from WCW during the boom, a la Benoit, Jericho, etc. They weren't often pushed to the degree that maybe they should have been, but they did play an important role. It's not to say, for example, that Rock needed Jericho to become a star or anything ridiculous like that, but they definitely brought out the best in each other, Jericho was a fresh opponent that revitalized Rock, Rock was a credible opponent that brought Jericho to the next level, and the whole feud was memorable and is still talked about fondly today.

You could make similar arguments with Austin/Benoit, Rock/Benoit, HHH/Benoit, HHH/Jericho, etc. The feuds may have bordered on one-sided toward the top guys at times, but they made the top guys look great and kept them fresh.

Maybe they could have done the same for guys like Hogan, Flair, Nash, Sting, etc. in WCW with the right buildup, even if they were losers in the end.

But I don't buy that list being the actual one.

You're correct. The official list has been posted here: http://www.silvervision.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=WWE1192.

The matches that remain from the above list are:

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match: Hunter Hearst Helmsley vs. Rocky Maivia RAW (13/02/97)

WWE Championship Match: Triple H vs. The Rock Backlash (30/04/00)

WWE Championship Match: Kurt Angle vs. The Rock No Way Out (25/02/01)

WCW Championship Match: Booker T vs. The Rock SummerSlam (19/08/01)

Undisputed WWE Championship Match: Chris Jericho vs. The Rock Royal Rumble (20/01/02)

The Rock vs. Hollywood Hulk Hogan WrestleMania X8 (17/03/02)

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Rock WrestleMania XIX (30/03/03)

The rest have been replaced by:

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match: Owen Hart vs. The Rock RAW (06/04/98)

King of the Ring Quarterfinal Match: Triple H vs. The Rock RAW (22/06/98)

WWE Championship Match (Final Round): Mankind vs. The Rock Survivor Series (15/11/98)

Last Man Standing Match for the WWE Championship: Mankind vs. The Rock St. Valentine’s Day Massacre (14/02/99)

WWE Championship Match: Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Rock WrestleMania XV (28/03/99)

Steel Cage Match: The Rock vs. Triple H RAW (05/07/99)

World Tag Team Championship: The Rock / Mankind vs. Undertaker / Big Show RAW (30/08/99)

No Holds Barred Match: The Rock vs. Kane SmackDown! (30/12/99)

Steel Cage Match for the WWE Championship: The Rock vs. Shane McMahon RAW (01/05/00)

Triple Threat Match for the WWE Undisputed Championship: Kurt Angle vs. Undertaker vs. The Rock Vengeance (21/07/02)

The Rock vs. Eddie Guerrero RAW (22/07/02)

Rock vs Eddy from Raw on DVD? Awesome.

Yeah, and that's a much, much better choice than the Eddy match that was on the Austin DVD.

I'm hoping they throw in the promos setting up the match, too. Eddy being frustrated at Rock because his kids "have posters of you and worship you" was awesome.

It's a shame that they teased feuds for Eddy with Steve Austin and The Rock that didn't really come to pass for all sorts of reasons outside of WWE's control. He seemed to have great chemistry with both of them. Their star was fading at that point and his was on the rise, so programs with both guys probably would have helped everyone, no matter who won and who lost in the end.

• 3 months later...

In going through the Rock DVD, I have to comment on one match in particular:

Steel Cage Match: The Rock vs. Triple H RAW (05/07/99) - This is basically an exercise in "just how stupid are Triple H and Chyna anyway?"

Stupidity example 1: Triple H gets handcuffs from Chyna. The first thing he does is hook the cuffs to the cage, then pounds on Rock before going to cuff him, only for Rock to fight back. The cuffs never come into play again.

Stupidity example 2: As Rock is trying to crawl for the door, Chyna knocks out referee Tim White. She then slams the door into Rock's face, then immediately goes in to pull Triple H out the door. White, of course, is still out, so Rock comes out himself and they brawl outside the ring.

Stupidity example 3: Triple H and Rock are fighting on top of the cage. Chyna hands Triple H a chair and he nails Rock, who slumps over on top of the cage. Instead of cllimbing down the cage wall to the floor, Triple H climbs back inside the cage, where he proceeds to scale the ropes while grabbing the cage wall and then slips and crotches himself.

It's amazing to watch just how much of a dumbass Triple H was booked to look like. Rock may not have looked strong, but Triple H was far from "cerebral assassin" and more like "cerebral assasinated."

• 1 year later...

Just finished watching this set today. I thought this was underwhelming. The match with Kane I can only guess is there because he's still with the company and they want new fans to see him working with Rock? Of course there's a lot that could have been added but I've gotten used to WWE fumbling the match listings on DVDs.

The promos featured on the third disc reminded me that Rock's character came across as an insecure asshole for most of his face run.