Pro Wrestling Only

Pick a Backlund?

Kronos

Okay, so a couple of us are working on a Favorite/Greatest of All Time comp at Cmax amongst other boards. We took nominations, and we have a pretty hefty list of things that will eventually get voted down to something manageable (like 100 matches or so). It's an unfair premise for several reasons, not least of which is that almost everything nominated is from after 1995 or so. However, we're having a good time gathering the matches, and it will be a really fun comp in the end (I mean, honestly, when will Cheerleader Melissa ever again be on the same comp as Kerry Von Erich or Nick Bockwinkel? -- now, that's just freaking awesome). :P

That said, I've gotten some good suggestions from Will about some places to flesh out the list. Someone seriously missing, though, is Bob Backlund. I have Will's Bob comp now, so I have lots of matches to choose from. :blink:

If you had to pick one Bob match that was representative of his style and fun to watch, what would you say?

I also might like to hear some suggestions about Superstar Graham matches, too. I am thinking of including about 5 of his matches. What do you think? ;)

Graham sucked... seriously. I have never seen a Graham match that could hit a Top 100.

For Backlund, you start with the Backlund-Patera 5/80 match.

This match was #6 in the DVDVR poll...

Bob Backlund vs Adrian Adonis (1/18/82)

I am sure there are some 70s Backlund matches that could enter the conversation such as his hour long draw with Valentine, the Koloff match and the Sheik match. Might have to watch some of those 70s Inoki matches as well.

Graham sucked... seriously. I have never seen a Graham match that could hit a Top 100.

For Backlund, you start with the Backlund-Patera 5/80 match.

This match was #6 in the DVDVR poll...

Bob Backlund vs Adrian Adonis (1/18/82)

I am sure there are some 70s Backlund matches that could enter the conversation such as his hour long draw with Valentine, the Koloff match and the Sheik match. Might have to watch some of those 70s Inoki matches as well.

I agree completely about Graham. I have wanted so badly to like him over the years, and his promos are generally fun (to hear him tell it in his book, he and Dusty basically copied each other's mic styles). But I just can't do it. I usually can't get through his matches before nodding off in boredom.

I think we are really hurting for 70's stuff, too. I have a Destroyer comp disc I picked up from IVP, and I also have an Inoki disc IIRC. Might have to include one or two of those matches just for the hell of it.

I'll be on those Bob matches soon -- thanks for the suggestions. Right now, I have to finish watching UFC 85 (my first MMA program ever to watch).

I'd have to go back through my tapes to remember them all, but Backlund/Takada from '88 was a fun little match, should've been a styles clash but somehow came together quite well. He also had a couple of damn fine matches against Hansen in the WWWF, aside from the one cage match that everyone's seen, but they're all on some random comp I bought off Ebay which is in nothing resembling chronological order, so I got no dates for them.

07/27/78 - Bob Backlund vs Antonio Inoki - Tokyo (60:00)

John

Damn, thanks to Will, I have enough Rick Steamboat to last me until Christmas. Life is good. . . :lol:

Just starting to watch the Bob discs tonight. I am on the Graham/Bob silent 8 mm footage. Some pretty fun stuff. Random babbles b/c I am tired: Bob just missed a drop kick and landed on his arm; I shouldn't wonder if he didn't hurt himself. Graham really does suck, doesn't he? Is this the match which Billy talks about in his book that he was going to fake a knee injury so Bob wouldn't go over as solidly? I think I saw Chuck Connors in the ring before the match. . .

The tag with Jumbo and Baba from 1974 was some freaking beautiful footage; however you got your hands on that one, I'll never know.

Okay, the Inoki match is now coming on, so I am going to climb into bed and enjoy it before I go to sleep.