Pro Wrestling Only

DVD #4: Lex Luger vs Dick Murdoch

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

The wrestling is great. What really stuck out for me is the announcing. Ross and Cornette explain Luger's upcoming match with Pillman, the clash of styles between wrestling Pillman and Dick Murdoch, and why this is giving Luger a boatload of problems.

On a personal note, it's always fun to see a long time heel like Murdoch get face pops.

• 4 weeks later...

Jim Cornette and a more sports oriented, less hyperbolic Jim Ross on commentary. Talk about a dream team, and they helped paint the match’s picture completely for me. The first few minutes is as simple as punches and wrist locks, and the story works so perfectly. You can totally buy into Murdoch as this tough babyface who sells a punch like gold, but when he gets back up Luger better run – and does. Also dug the technical arm work of Murdoch and the way he’d wrench that thing while Luger kinda sells. Other than a body, Luger had no presence or believability to me. This match is Murdoch leading Luger through the paces.

I popped when Murdoch finally unleashed those big punches (with a great elbow beforehand). Ross promotes Dr. Death vs Sid Vicious on an upcoming Saturday show. This I must see on a comp some day. The crowd is really behind Murdoch, which is fun to see. Luger really sold he knee great there for a minute. As in, I’d really like to see more people sell a knee that well for a period of time. Murdoch’s block of a suplex using the ropes is another realistic thing I’d like to see more in modern day matches. Luger’s work on the back to build for the torture rack all made sense to me, and kinda gave him more of a dimension than he had later in his career. I’d definitely say Luger carried his end of this one. The ref seemed to be smarter as Luger tried to cheat, and the announcing was more informed, and it made me like this good, but not great match more than some “better” matches. The double-DQ finish was a bummer, but I’ll live.

My thoughts when I nominated it for the NWA project...

Man, this plays almost like a 1989 version of the Murdoch-Nightmare match where the ref prevents Dick from getting down and dirty while Luger gets away with the dirty tricks. There aren't many wrestling moves in this but alot of punches which is a good thing in a Murdoch match. Late in the match, the ref continues to catch Luger cheating. This plays perfectly into the finish as they pound each other in the corner and as the ref tries to separate them, both wrestlers throw him off resulting in a double DQ. This was awesome to see Murdoch in classic form and Luger has had some really good matches in 1989.

• 2 weeks later...

Murdoch's NWA run from 87-89 was vastly underrated. I think we all overlook him because he was so far down the card of workers we love (much like Brad Armstrong in the match that follows this on the disc) but he was amazing and versitile - he could play face and heel and always be a credible threat. Luger is also great here, as it was during the "came to play" period of his career where he seemed into what he was doing. The Zbyszko-esque stall was epic and entertaining. Also weird how well Murdoch adapts to an extended TV format - even though he is the essence of a 70s wrestler, he could work this pace on Raw today and everyone would marvel. Really great match and I think we need a Murdoch comp at some point.

• 1 month later...

Murdoch's NWA run from 87-89 was vastly underrated. I think we all overlook him because he was so far down the card of workers we love (much like Brad Armstrong in the match that follows this on the disc) but he was amazing and versitile - he could play face and heel and always be a credible threat. Luger is also great here, as it was during the "came to play" period of his career where he seemed into what he was doing. The Zbyszko-esque stall was epic and entertaining. Also weird how well Murdoch adapts to an extended TV format - even though he is the essence of a 70s wrestler, he could work this pace on Raw today and everyone would marvel. Really great match and I think we need a Murdoch comp at some point.

Pish posh, Murdoch is one of my newly (within last three years) dubbed favorites of all-time.

His punches in this match are incredible. They look like they are landing legit every time, something that is good, and something every wrestler needs to learn how to do.

I liked the ring announcer stating Murdoch was only 230, or whatever, then Ross correcting that error.

Good match, Luger playing the muscled coward to the tee, and Murdoch being the no non-sense hard ass brawler.