Pro Wrestling Only

A Guy's Thoughts on the Death of ECW

1004Holds

I dunno. Money isn't everything, and I don't think Foley is desperate for money to the point of having to endure Vince. At his point of his career, he doesn't need WWE to make money, so if having to put up with Vince's shit is too annoying, then I totally understand why he would quit. I'd rather get less money but get less stress too. I don't think his job in TNA is very demanding at this point. I guess Foley saved his money too. Foley was insane in the ring, but I do think he's got his feet on the ground as far as money goes. I don't see him ending up like Flair, owing money to Roh and Highspots...;)

I agree with you more on Onita than with Foley. Quitting a nicely paid colour commentary gig because he couldn't put up with Vince shouting at him is pretty dumb and almost on a par with Dreamer quitting his office job because he was a mark for ECW.

You only live once. Foley hated his job in WWE and seems to enjoy his TNA work, where he has a light travel schedule and is probably treated like a big deal by management. He's having fun. I don't see the harm.

The thing about Foley is he didn't really get cemented as a main eventer in WWF until he got the storyline about "the son Vince McMahon never had" and thus leading to the introduction of Mr. Socko. His HOTC match with Undertaker didn't do it, because he ended up sliding back into the midcard after that match and didn't do much of note until the McMahon storyline came along.

First post in this thread has some of it as well. The reference to FWM is interesting...

I saw a bit of it online years ago and I thought "Damn, these guys are crazy!" So much that when I saw ECW it just felt tame to me.

I'd be surprised if you saw any FMW "online" before you saw ECW on TNA "once in a blue moon".

John

I don't have any reason to lie to you.

There wasn't a whole lot of FMW video available "online" back in 1999. Tapes and whatnot for trade, but that's not what you're saying. And pretty much anyone who would go to any effort to get FMW in that form would have as easily gotten ECW, which was easier to get.

I'm starting to understand that earlier comment about "this didn't go very well on another board."

John

I'm starting to understand that earlier comment about "this didn't go very well on another board."

Because it sends people off on semi-related tangents?

Article is basically harmless. Like you said, there's some internal consistency errors, and in general, the guy doesn't come across as a very good writer. I question some of his taste in wrestling, but that's beside the point. His basic point - that you should cherish the things you loved in the past, but accept that this is the present, and be willing to open yourself up to new things even if they aren't exactly what they were in "the good old days" - is a correct one. I assumed in reading it that things "not going very well" meant that a bunch of mutants rolled in and took issue with his premise. This seems like a rather unusual turn for the subject to take twice.

Article is basically harmless. Like you said, there's some internal consistency errors, and in general, the guy doesn't come across as a very good writer. I question some of his taste in wrestling, but that's beside the point. His basic point - that you should cherish the things you loved in the past, but accept that this is the present, and be willing to open yourself up to new things even if they aren't exactly what they were in "the good old days" - is a correct one. I assumed in reading it that things "not going very well" meant that a bunch of mutants rolled in and took issue with his premise. This seems like a rather unusual turn for the subject to take twice.

I have a friend named Chris who is still somewhat of a mark. Hasn't paid much attention to wrestling since 2001 or so but now watches TNA regularly because they have Hall, Nash, Waltman, and Hogan. He asks me at least once a month why TNA won't sign Disco Inferno, Marcus Bagwell, Rick Steiner, and Randy Savage. He thinks signing them would put TNA over the top. He does not seem willing to accept that 1998 was twelve years ago.

I have a friend named Chris who is still somewhat of a mark. Hasn't paid much attention to wrestling since 2001 or so but now watches TNA regularly because they have Hall, Nash, Waltman, and Hogan. He asks me at least once a month why TNA won't sign Disco Inferno, Marcus Bagwell, Rick Steiner, and Randy Savage. He thinks signing them would put TNA over the top. He does not seem willing to accept that 1998 was twelve years ago.

Funny enough TNA did have each one of the 4 at one point or another in it's existence.