Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only

khawk20

DVDVR 80s Project
  • Posts

    2584
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by khawk20

  1. I wouldn't think of it in terms of "fair", more in terms of a comparable that makes for an easy visual. Whether you agree with it or not you can see what he's saying.
  2. He suffers, at a base level, because he was a JTTS for the WWF for so long before getting the gimmick. Most fans at the time, self included, could not look past that when watching him as a manager. I liked the gimmick, but it would have been infinitely better if he had been named "The Genius" right out of the gate when he arrived in the WWF circa 84-85. When you see Hogan and Beefcake teaming against Hennig and Poffo circa 1991, for example, it didn't feel like it could be a "competitive" matchup since the Genius had just spent several years losing to pretty much everyone. Plus his schtick on the mic was pretty much just "evil" Leaping Lanny, where the regular, poetry-reading Lanny was a dead gimmick a long time before that. Lots of potential for Poffo to excel in the role, but it happened too late.
  3. Eek. If that's the case you must think I spend way to much time in the sun.
  4. It would be worth tracking down a match or two from his AWA run circa 89-90 to see if he had improved much by the time he was in this match. Pretty sure he had a match with a "name" competitor or two in the AWA near the end.
  5. The last one lacks the "lol" quality of the first three. He just included it so the post would have meaningless depth.
  6. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  7. Never heard of it until now. Sounds...bizarre.
  8. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  9. There is lots, including almost all of 1984 and good chunks of pretty much every other year in the 80's.
  10. Sometime later this year it'll all be available in one convenient package.
  11. If you're covering the all-time wrestlers in a territory, the AWA would be Verne, Bockwinkel, Crusher, and probably Mad Dog Vachon. If it's just the 80's or something like that, never mind...
  12. What this summary tells me (if accurate) is that JCP did more with less and knew how to book their guys to maximize their drawing power. The WWF did less with more, possibly due to there being too many hands and not enough TV time to build compelling feuds and matchups.
  13. Mad Dog Vachon being used regularly in the Twin Cities between June 1984 and August 1985 is a good example of booking someone as a "regional" draw.
  14. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  15. Mods, please feel free to move this to The Microscope Forum if it belongs there... We all talk about guys we consider for the GOAT tag. It's obvious that anyone finishing in your own personal Top 10 is someone you consider exceptional. My question is, where is your bar when considering GOAT candidates, in terms of the lowest number on your personal list? For example, say I have 25 guys that I believe are seriously in the GOAT discussion. Anyone I would rank at 26 and lower I would consider great wrestlers, but not serious GOAT candidates because 25 is my personal bar. Given that we are picking people from a cast of literally thousands, I imagine that some people have a list of 100 or more guys they could argue for, to some degree. Others might have 4 or 5. I'm just trying to gage where people are with this aspect of it. I would think that the depth of discussion would limit a lot of people to seriously considering ten at best, but this is also a place where the people have watched more styles, promotions, and wrestlers in general than almost anywhere else, thereby opening up tons more guys for serious consideration. I don't think there is a right or wrong number of candidates to consider, but maybe some of you do.
  16. Not that this sort of cynicism is unwarranted, but it wouldn't shock me if Backlund was on the planned list this year all along. Maybe Backlund finally gave up the idea that he had one more run still in him. I recall reading that he has "refused" induction previously for that reason.
  17. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  18. Best part of this from my perspective is that when Classics on Demand does his HOF month, they may have an unseen match or two to show us from the vault. We can hope, anyway. They did pull that Backlund-Valentine 1 hour draw out of nowhere a few years back for something.
  19. The tape-trader equivalent of this would be the dudes that would show up yearly and claim to have footage of Backlund-Flair or the Last Battle of Atlanta, or whatever the hot "wish this clip existed" want for that year was.
  20. Because of Jannetty though, right?
  21. Hey, just trying to prevent you from having a stroke. Feeling like your blood is congealing is probably a sign of that.
  22. Some people like different things than you do. If you remember that it will possibly stop the congealing of your hands and anything else that begins to tighten up.
  23. I'm thinking at this point my authoring software is just too outdated. I've been looking at upgrading to TMPGEnc DVD Author version 5, which seems to be able to convert .flv files and many others to a dvd-ready file right in the program itself. I just loathe trying something new because the software I use know I know top to bottom and it doesn't take a lot of thought to get it to do what I want. I'll fool around with keepvid some more tonight now that my toolbar phobia seems to have been dispelled. If anyone has suggestions for other authoring software that is simple yet effective, feel free to suggest it (via PM if the mods would rather this not be on the main board). Thanks.
×
×
  • Create New...