Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only

donsem43

Members
  • Posts

    1165
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by donsem43

  1. Before this thread, I had only spent about 30 seconds thinking about Lulu Pencil and I watch a lot of joshi wrestling. After I read this thread for last time I'll doubt I'll think about Lulu Pencil for more than 30 seconds. Anyway, I have 69 left. 42 in my top 50.
  2. 24.5% of the people who voted started watching in 2010 or later. You're not going reach these people in ways that were common ten years ago. Twitter engagement has been replaced by TikToks/IG Stories/YouTube Shorts. Blog posts have been replaced by video essays. Podcasts have been replaced by interactive streams. You also have to find a way to package it in an attractive way plus find a catchy way to sell it. You can't just plop it in front of people saying "Watch this it's great!" That won't work these days.
  3. I have 76 left but there's about 15 or so, including 4 in my top 50, that I'm genuinely surprised that they have last as long as they have.
  4. Ron Garvin is the closest I've come to a top vote. I had him at 39. Asuka, Arisa Nakajima, Meiko Satomura, Dynamite Kansai, Manami Toyota, Akira Hokuto, Shinobu Kandori, Bull Nakano, Dump Matsumoto, Chigusa Nagayo, Lioness Asuka, Jaguar Yokota and Devil Masami. That's two dozen women left. More than 10% of those left to be named. Not bad, about what I would've guess before this started. Shocked Saya Kamitani didn't get a last minute nomination. She could have at least been in this range fueled by recency bias. Considering how many people pump up her tires, Mio Momono ranking is fairly surprising.
  5. Comedy wrestlers not just getting on lists but receiving extremely high votes.
  6. This is the start of their rivalry that would last for nearly the next 2 years. At this point, Anou had really put everything together as a wrestler while Iwata was snapping the final few pieces into place. The early back and forth is pretty even. Iwata has a clear advantage in striking while Anou does better when the pace quickens. A short excursion to the outside turn the tide in Anou's favour when she kicks out Iwata's leg when she attempts to do a running kick on the apron. Anou's attack zeros in on the injured leg even busting out a Figure 8. Iwata manages to stay in the match with some well timed submission counters and getting kicks in at any opportunity. This goes to a 15 minute draw but the time flies by so quickly that you'd swear it only went half that time. So pretty good chirping at the end foreshadows the future between these two. ***¾
  7. I don't actually mind pre Shield breakup Rollins. Post breakup though...
  8. This is quite the sprint. Just like the Toronto match, Steamboat is in complete control in the early going but he goes for a top rope splash and ends up eating Robert's knees. Jake follows up by focusing in Steamboat's midsection and keeps going back to it throughout the match. Steamboat keeps firing back in strike exchanges to stay in the match. He eventually gets lucky catching Roberts with a crucifix for the win. It's a shame that they had another flash pin finish but at least this one was less awkward then in Toronto.
  9. Poor Psicosis, what a horrific sandwich to be stuck in. Shimoda got push as Manami Toyota's tag partner in '95-'96 plus had more singles matches in the late 90's/early 00's. I imagine that's where the difference is.
  10. According to Fightful, Asuka signed a multi-year deal last fall. Oh well... Asuka vs. Chihiro Hashimoto would have been pretty cool too.
  11. We are very much into "Very niche wrestler who you could see doing well on a few people's list" territory. Has Yokozuna been named yet? Curious if an actual yokozuna, Akebono, did better than him. Although I think the fake one was the better in-ring worker. TJPW and ChocoPro women finishing higher than Yumi Fukawa gets a big ol' 😕 from me... Trevor Lee and Shuji Kondo should be on the list of wrestlers who would have definitely done better if there would have been a list in 2021. Hopefully with Shimmer starting to upload their stuff to YouTube more people will check out the work of the likes of Madison Eagles and Nicole Matthews Rusher Kimura was amazing as an outsider in both AJPW and NJPW. All of the 70's/80's AJW wrestlers who either didn't do anything in the 90's, or nothing of note, are all dropping together. Would imagine we'll see Yukari Omori sooner rather than later. How did only 2% of people voted for Buddy Landell??? Was he a late cut for a lot of people? There is an argument that Akira Tozawa is the most talented wrestler ever to be completely wasted by WWE.
  12. Syuri vs. Asuka for the IWGP title as the semi-main.
  13. I think you have Tamura confused with Shinobu Kandori. Yes, thank you!
  14. These are really the only two matches that you need to watch: vs. Ayumi Kurihara - May 15, 2011 vs. Nanae Takahashi - December 24, 2012 I knew I forgot somebody... Well to try and make up for it, here a playlist of what Tamura matches are up on YouTube: The only place that talked about it from the mid-00's to the mid-10's was that weird joshi message board whose name I can't remember. They used to upload a lot of stuff to Veoh.
  15. About an hour of film footage Florida. According to Loss on the Playlist all but a couple of matches shown are new. No full matches though, just highlights.
  16. I went through the entire list of nominations twice, then read every list posted in this thread. I ended up finding four people that I missed, including one who ended up in my top ten. I know myself too well that I would forget having to do that much double checking before submitting my list.
  17. My list. I thought it would be interesting if I included my late cuts so this is essentially everyone that I seriously considered.
  18. You can also build the inevitable Tokyo Dome show around Kamitani winning the belt back. Money is in the chase. You just need to figure out who should be champ by then. Either way, you know Kamitani and Kurara are going to be walking up that ramp arm-in-arm. That's the natural conclusion of this story. It's just wild to see the one company in the world that could get away with not pushing young talent is the one that is doing it the most aggressively.
  19. I feel asleep after the tag gauntlet and woke up to Kurara doing a phoenix splash... No clue if that's good booking or bad but it sure is fucking ballsy! Granted, Stardom has a history of being successful with pushing new stars seemingly too soon.
  20. She's still working Marigold shows until May 23.
  21. This is what happens when you buy your Infinity Gauntlet from Temu.
  22. Quite the day from the Vault: - Half hour of Vader squashes. - MOAR OMNI !!!!
  23. The strikes are one thing, that's fixable, but the whole presentation made things worse. Why is the director cutting from a camera that makes the strikes look bad to one that makes them look even worse? That compounded things, almost to the point of making this guy look more like a joke than a monster.
  24. Development is fine...
  25. The company has always been right-wing. On the SNME right before the '88 presidential election, Demolition cut a pro Republican promo. Survivor Series '95 had Sunny sitting on the lap of a Bill Clinton impersonator. They had Gennifer Flowers at Wrestlemania in traditionally Democrat supporting Boston. The only reason WWE appeared to be creeping towards the center with more socially conscience stuff was to try to appeal to a younger audience. Apparently, this guy use to have connections to Syracuse University which is the college that a lot of people in U.S. sports media went to. Seem to be a "guy who knows a guy" type.
×
×
  • Create New...