Pro Wrestling Only

Eddy Guerrero v Big Show

Tim Cooke

Marty PM'ed me asking me to sell him on this match (feels like Classics now). I wrote a review at DVDVR but I am not searching for it so here is an overview.

The match aired is 11:14 (with a commercial break chopping 1-4 minutes off).

If Big Show loses, he leaves. Eddy is not defending the title. This match is to soften Eddy up.

This is a lot different than Eddy/JBL as Show controls 80% of the match, where as JBL only controlled about 40% of their Judgement Day match (and even less if you consider that Eddy was so on top of his game that night).

The first theme of the match is Big Show using headbutts to give the match an over arching theme. He headbutts Eddy early, with Eddy taking a bump for it. He headbutts him later while working over Eddy's arm. So smart, as I haven't seen Show punch a lot and it sure beats indy like chopping sequences.

The second theme is Show in control. Show is obviously bigger but he also has his job on the line. He goes after Eddy without hesistation and just wants to beat him down. Show even does some work on Eddy's arm involving headbutts and stepping on Guerrero's arm with his foot. That is an awesome visual.

The third theme is Eddy's attempt at comebacks, which are all great in their own way and Show does a nice job in cutting them off at the right points, building them in length each time. I really don't want to spoil these because they are too good to know about beforehand.

The fourth is Eddy taking Show out. When Eddy finally gets an advantage, his one big move (hint: it was his big move throughout the title reign), it not only looks incredible but stands out so well. Forget about throwing out hundreds of finishers-the big transition move is great.

Fifth is the finish. Not going to spoil everything but it makes sense, it very old school, and gets a huge reaction from the crowd and me.

Get the match. If you don't at least like it for a TV match, then I don't know what to say.

This is better than Eddy/Angle from WrestleMania. For a MONSTER vs. Smaller guy, Show is better than Lesnar was at No Way Out.

Tim

Sure will. I may even ship it out to you tommorow as I have a load of stuff for Noel and Naylor to send off. That tape also has the fantastic Velocity 11 minute match between Rey Jr and Noble from 5/1/04 that is so good.

And I am excited that you will be converting the Jewett Round Robin and World Class tapes. 2 more hours until I leave, then go to dinner, and then home for DVD's hopefully.

Tim

• 2 months later...

Like Tim, I think reviewing this match and giving everything away would totally spoil it, but the points he made were spot on. This is a fantastic match, easily the best match Big Show has ever had. I was really impressed here by Show's ability to work some complex sequences, like misses a clothesline, leading to Eddy trying a plancha to the outside, leading to Eddy being sent crashing into the post. You'll also see Eddy do a really great job of putting over some really ancient offense. Enough said for now, but I do recommend everyone see this match, especially if you cut your wrestling teeth on seeing small babyfaces fight the giants and you enjoy that style. Probably about ***3/4.

• 2 years later...

Marty PM'ed me asking me to sell him on this match (feels like Classics now). I wrote a review at DVDVR but I am not searching for it so here is an overview.

The match aired is 11:14 (with a commercial break chopping 1-4 minutes off).

If Big Show loses, he leaves. Eddy is not defending the title. This match is to soften Eddy up.

This is a lot different than Eddy/JBL as Show controls 80% of the match, where as JBL only controlled about 40% of their Judgement Day match (and even less if you consider that Eddy was so on top of his game that night).

The first theme of the match is Big Show using headbutts to give the match an over arching theme. He headbutts Eddy early, with Eddy taking a bump for it. He headbutts him later while working over Eddy's arm. So smart, as I haven't seen Show punch a lot and it sure beats indy like chopping sequences.

The second theme is Show in control. Show is obviously bigger but he also has his job on the line. He goes after Eddy without hesistation and just wants to beat him down. Show even does some work on Eddy's arm involving headbutts and stepping on Guerrero's arm with his foot. That is an awesome visual.

The third theme is Eddy's attempt at comebacks, which are all great in their own way and Show does a nice job in cutting them off at the right points, building them in length each time. I really don't want to spoil these because they are too good to know about beforehand.

The fourth is Eddy taking Show out. When Eddy finally gets an advantage, his one big move (hint: it was his big move throughout the title reign), it not only looks incredible but stands out so well. Forget about throwing out hundreds of finishers-the big transition move is great.

Fifth is the finish. Not going to spoil everything but it makes sense, it very old school, and gets a huge reaction from the crowd and me.

Get the match. If you don't at least like it for a TV match, then I don't know what to say.

This is better than Eddy/Angle from WrestleMania. For a MONSTER vs. Smaller guy, Show is better than Lesnar was at No Way Out.

Tim

Is this match online anywhere? I would like to see it again.

• 1 month later...
Guest The Unholy Dragon

I know Ditch had this up for a while, and I'd suggest giving it a look.

Eddie is Eddie, and Show was always horribly underrated. While not trying to be as epic as their No Mercy match, this one ends up being much better and more satisfying. As I recall, I had it around ***1/2. It's well worth a look.