Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-12-06-AJPW-Real World Tag League] Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun Akiyama vs Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue

Loss

Watching this was a very interesting experience. I hadn't watched it in close to ten years, and it was striking in a lot of ways. My impression was rather different than it was years ago, when I had watched this match a couple times as one of the classics.

To get the negative out of the way first: it's not as good as I remember it; which is to say, it's not a no-brainer to be in my top 10 matches of all time. It's still the match of the year, and an all-time classic.

This is Taue's match, in a BIG way. In fact, that's the strongest theme of the match. Taue won the match, and he had written the victory in stone about 10 minutes before he and Kawada finally picked Misawa dry. Kawada, indeed, was a bit unimpressive here.

Akiyama is rather pathetic when the match ends, as in being very sympathetic. 1996 was a huge year of growth for him, and in the first half of this match that was exhibited every bit here. Misawa and Akiyama functioned as a team every bit as well as Kawada and Taue did, and Akiyama didn't seem a step below Misawa. Until the apron Nodawa, which he never recovered from, and guaranteed the end of the match in one moment.

The action in the beginning is outstanding, of course. Taue's performance is remarkable pretty much right off the bat. Just really great, very even action, featuring a great cinematic strike exchange between Kawada and Misawa in the middle. Eventually Akiyama and Misawa are able to take out Taue and have Kawada cornered and nailed with some big moves, and for the first time in the match it feels like one team is about to bring it home. But suddenly Taue rallies and single handedly regains the advantage, and is able to hit the apron Nodawa on Akiyama, and that's all she wrote. Misawa had a real superman performance, taking as much punishment as anyone can take. But he never even gets an extended bout of offense -- and it's mostly thanks to Taue, again. Taue is always a step ahead of Misawa, and in the immediate aftermath of Taue's taking out Akiyama, it's striking how sharp Taue looks always ending up on top in all his exchanges with Misawa. After Taue establishes dominance over Misawa with Akiyama done in for good, it's just a slow grind wearing Misawa down. Akiyama attempts a very ineffectual comeback at the end, and it is very dramatic, but gets shut down by an absolutely killer backdrop driver from Kawada.

It's a fascinating match. For drama and the quality of the action, I don't think it's in the same league as something like 6/9/95. Simply for the quality of the move-to-move action, the November match was probably better actually; but this one has the drama and compelling narrative.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-12-06-AJPW-Real World Tag League] Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun Akiyama vs Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue
  • 4 months later...

This is just too good. My favorite thing about it was the performance of the one Dynamic T - after the Kawada vs. Misawa exchange that ends with both of them laying on the ground, Kawada making the tag & then Taue coming in & just stepping on Misawa's face has to be the actual GOAT moment, right? His overall role in this, as kind of Kawada's big brother is just phenomenal; Kawada loses most of the exchanges vs. Misawa, but then Taue is always around the corner, ready to help his tag partner get the job done. The ending with him being like "yeah, you go son" & patting Kawada on the back after he pinned Misawa sealed the deal as this being an all-timer performance by the man. *****

• 1 year later...

Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun Akiyama vs Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue - AJPW 12/6/96

Of all the uber famous All Japan matches, you know the ones only known by the Date, this is the one I have seen the least. I think I have only seen it twice and have no recollection of it and I also dont know what the hook of the match is. 

First Half: After about 5 minutes, I said out loud to myself "Absolutely genius". This is the best tag team match ever from strategic and mechanics point of view. 6/9/95 is all heart & soul that will win the day, BUT this is thinking man's wrestling at its finest. I will do my best to distill down all the great moments. Misawa & Akiyama are a much better TEAM than Misawa & Kobashi, which was a unit of two great singles wrestlers. I noticed this immediately during 5/23/96 and they showed that again.

Akiyama stands up to bully Kawada and knocks him down with a Jumping High Knee. How does he press his advantage? He tags! Genius! This allows the double team to consolidate the advantage. Akiyama, wise beyond his years, knocks Taue off the apron enabling Misawa to wipe out Kawada with Elbow Suicida. Miswa scores a Tiger Driver and nearfall. Where does it all start? A timely Akiyama tag. He was not tired. He landed just one blow. Most people would continue on offense, but thats dumb. It is tag TEAM wrestling. Use that man advantage consolidate the lead. 

Not to be outdone, Taue steps up to bat. On the attempted Second Tiger Driver, Taue wisely comes to Kawada's aid and attacks Misawa from behind, which exposes a mistake by Misawa to have his back to the enemy corner. Kawada bowls him over and what does he do? He tags out! Expert move. Great sequence from Taue and Misawa ending with Taue planting Misawa with the DDT and a Powerbomb, NOT Dynamic for a nearfall. Where does this all begin? A deft, timely save from Taue at peak danger converting defense into offense. Taue is setting up for perhaps the Super NODOWA when Akiyama showing his youth is NOT wasted on the young and saves Miswa who us his high position to Elbow Drop Taue and tag out. Perfect match thus far. Akiyama gets a Dragon Leg Screw on Taue?!? Kawada senses the danger and interferes. Taue lingers a bit longer than expected but hits the Nodowa and tags out. 5 minutes folks. That was 5 glorious fucking minutes. 

The next 5 minutes centers around Kawada/Taue in cruise control doing what they do best just generally pummeling and grinding Akiyama down. There is not much in the way of transitions or excitement. It is a comedown from the frenetic first five minutes. After all that fast break, uptempo offense, the experienced Holy Demon Army slows the pace down and exerts their advantage. Weakest point of the match thus far was Akiyama's easy escape to tag out Misawa. Just a simple back suplex. C'mon. There were not even that many teases. 

The next 5 minutes revs things back up. Misawa and Kawada have one of their classic fiery exchanges, which ends with a Kawada Jumping High Kick. What does Kawada do after being in a grueling strike exchange with the greatest striker in pro wrestling history? HE FUCKING TAGS! Because that's what you should! This match is so pleasing to my brain.  Taue comes in and is just a massive dick. His offense consists of stepping on Misawa's face, javelin-spearing Misawa's face into the  top turnbuckle, stepping on Misawa's face and then trying to end the match with NODOWA OFF THE APRON~! MISAWA CLEANS HIS FUCKING CLOCK WITH A MASSIVE ELBOW! Holy shit! This was not one of those let me pepper you with Elbows. This was the Sweet Home Alabama Elbow! WOW! MY jaw hurt! Misawa tags out to Akiyama who comes off the top and knocks Taue down. Akiyama has a sleeper/smother/choke on Taue similar to what Kawada was doing to him during his heat segment. Nice little revenge spot. Definitely living up to the hype thus far. 

Second Half: Fuck Man! This match is really fucking good. Akiyama and Misawa run through a beautiful sequence of double teams set up by frequent tags. Chicken Soup for a Tag Team fan's soul. Misawa hit a missile dropkick and a flying bodypress. Misawa has looked really good in this match. For the second time, it is a Tiger Driver attempt that does the Super Generation Army in. Kawada TRUCKS Misawa with a Lariat and then dumps Akiyama ass over tea kettle to the outside. Taue tags out and now it is Kawada & Taue that show off their double team ability. Nice Kneedrop/Top Rope Taue Elbow. I like the way the heels are paying back that babyfaces in a way that makes them look insecure. Like they are copycats but also smart strategy. 

Then something very peculiar happens. Misawa snaps off the Misawa-Rana on the Powerbomb. He does NOT tag out. At first,  I am pissed. They have wrestled this match immaculately how dare he play Hero-Ball now! That's when it hit me. If this leads him down a road where they lose because he decided to play Hero-Ball and got so obsessed with winning and beating Kawada then this deserves the ***** rating. Lo & behold that's exactly what happens as Akiyama would never be the legal man again. After all these smart and timely tags, Misawa decides it is time to go Iso and he fucks his team. He did not trust Akiyama with the Ball even though Akiyama won the Tag Team Titles back in May. Misawa was going to do this on his own. Granted, he got a lot closer than almost anyone else would because he is the kayfabe SIngles GOAT BUT this is not singles wrestling; this is TAG TEAM wrestling.

The number one complaint I have seen about this match is that Kawada looks like a chump because Misawa smokes him and basically has him beat. That is the point. In 6/9/95, Kawada sold his soul to beat Misawa. In 7/24/95, Misawa exacts his revenge and vanquishes him. In 12/6/96, Misawa becomes Kawada. He is the one who becomes obsessed and consumed with beating Kawada on his own to the detriment. The Misawa made two big miscalculations: 1. Akiyama couldn't handle the ball down the stretch 2. Akira Taue goes off in Game 7 of the Finals! Taue is a world-beating, game-changing force of nature. Do Not Fuck With Him.

Akira Taue has many great performances but offensively this may be his best. He looks the greatest fucking wrestler ever. Once he hits the Baba Neckbreaker Drop and pretty much renders Akiyama useless for the rest of the match with the NODOWA OF DOOM OFF THE APRON, the Holy Demon Army has this on lock. Taue never lets up. The ever-loyal henchman bows out gracefully so that Kawada can get his second pinfall victory over Misawa and collectively the First Real World Tag League Victory for Kawada & Taue! A long time coming!

All four men played their roles well. I expected this match to be about Akiyama, but it is really not. He is a great rookie, but I dont think a mature 1996 Kobashi would have succumbed so easily. That why Akiyama was perfect. Misawa underestimated his help. The genius of this match is how well the fundamental tag team strategy was executed for the first 20 minutes and when Misawa deviated from that and played Hero-Ball is ultimately what cost them the match. Taue was such a game-changer and looked awesome. Kawada just needed to be Kawada excellent ragdoll, jelly leg selling and when he needed to be vicious down the stretch the mean streak came out. 6/9/95 still wins the day because of the emotion and the amazing story. This is 6/9/95 inverted in such a way that Kawada's victory and Taue storming around the ring is feel-good, but I dont hate Misawa or Akiyama so it is not as emotionally stirring. Logically excellent match. Between the '95 Carny Final, Misawa/Kawada '95, 12/3,93, Doc vs Misawa '94, and Hansen vs Kobashi, how the hell am I supposed to rank these! They are all amazing! Really blew me away! *****

• 2 weeks later...

There's so much to unpack here. Taue is here to be the brains to Kawada's brawn. He needs to keep Kawada's temper in check, much like in the 6/9/95 tag. Akiyama is lacking in experience, but he has a lot of heart and is a much better tag partner than Kobashi ever was to Misawa. Some of the head drops here were nasty, especially the spike Backdrop Drivers that Misawa ate. The strike exchanges between Kawada and Misawa show us that their epic rivalry is far from over. Akiyama and Misawa isolate Kawada and it's all up for Taue to save the day. He gets the tag and takes out Akiyama with a brutal chokeslam to the floor, and it's not long before the Holy Demon Army score the victory by pinning Misawa. This was probably my favourite AJPW King's Road match, behind the 6/9/95 tag of course! 

★★★★★

• 1 year later...

Taue did the least in the match and came out looking the smartest and strongest of the match. Apart from losing the odd exchange to Misawa or even Jun Akiyama, he had so much grace and authority over the match with both his wrestling and his character work. It could be considered a criticism that Taue handed Kawada the win, but Taue being the difference in a heavy stalemate between Kawada and Misawa - both who kicked out of each other’s biggest moves multiple times throughout the match - is a plus for me. It also topped off Taue’s outstanding performance. Although my favourite moment of the match was Taue stepping on Misawa’s fragile face after Kawada spent ages hitting it as far as he could. Misawa and Kawada were the main focus points of the match with both guys having substantial moments in control. This had plenty of counters involving Kawada ducking the rolling elbow and turning into the backdrop or Misawa catching Kawada’s more fancy kicks but they did come around a bit too often despite being thoroughly exciting to watch. Kawada just ate Akiyama alive in this match. Just non stop chops and kicks to the chest. Upping the violence every time Akiyama tried to get in the way, eventually folding Akiyama so hard with a German that had Akiyama holding his chest. In addition to Kawada being great, I thought Misawa was as well. Misawa is probably the best wrestler at fighting 2 on 1. There is so much fire and determination he ilictics when the numbers are against him. In addition to that, I thought his teamwork with Akiyama was super good. It felt very cohesive and together which you want from a tag team match. This is my company MOTY for 1996 most definitely but there is something about it that makes me hesitate to put it up there with the Holy Demon Army v Misawa & Kobashi tag matches. If that's it's only criticism (along with the slight repetitive counter wrestling sequences) then it should be high praise. ****1/2