1990 Recommendations

Loss

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Updates on the local TV:

* Fuchi vs Kikuchi is in full here! This is the version of the match we'll use.

Is this from Lynch?

RE the AJ Classics: there's some things that didn't air in full (and possibly at all) on TV. Nothing that's a super-duper classic but some solid stuff.

Absolutely. The plan is to put both title changes and Zbyszko/Race.

I was actually going to reach out to you soon because we want to represent the Team Challenge Series somehow, but I didn't want to spend too much time on it, so I was going to ask you what singular clip would capture it well.

Is there an interview you could point me to that sums up how embarrassing Eric Bischoff was as an AWA announcer? He also had gray hair at this point, right?

Larry-Nikita is ok from what I remember, although I'd have to rewatch it/them at this point to give a "real" opinion on it.

Honestly the Iron man Survivor Battleroyal is as good as any, both as it was the end of the AWA, and it has a bit of a story to it with Millamen going into battle for Zbyszko's team and then being excluded in the celebration after tha match. The minscule crowd, the depleted talent pool, the absurdity of the million dollar payout...it sums up the end very well.

I can't think of a Bischoff interview that stands out, to be honest, although his interview of Zbyszko after he regains the title should also definitely go on this. Bisch is the interviewer as I remember.

You might also want to include something that illustrates the ridiculousness of the whole TCS concept...one of the stupider specialty matches like the Millamen-DeBeers turkey-on-a-pole, or the Trooper-Enos football match (maybe the stupidest thing I'd ever seen up to that point in my wrestling viewership).

• 1 month later...

Going through the 1990 USWA Texas, and so far:

* Kerry Von Erich has done a promo with late 80s Russian hair metal group Gorky Park, where he thanks them for their work in fighting communism and drugs

* In an interview on his birthday, he repeatedly calls Percy Pringle Marc Lowrance. Marc Lowrance is nowhere around. Percy finally points it out, and Kerry says, "Oh I'm sorry, you look like Marc Lowrance"

Other Kerry quotes:

* "The Texas Title belongs to me. The Texas Title belongs to us. I will fight to the death to keep it. The Soul Taker likes to stand in the back of arenas, but I'm no stepping stone. You should let me know when you're here, coward."

* "In case you're here to fight instead of talk, I will take off my shirt."

* "You mess with my brother, you mess with me. You mess with me, and you mess with me."

* "The reason I am on this microphone is because good guys don't call you, and bad guys aren't in your locker room."

* "I would rather have the Texas Title than the World title because Texas is the World Heavyweight Champion!"

Also:

* "I'm so glad that little faggot got fired" -- Chris Adams on Terrence Garvin

* "I hope they bury you next to your brothers so I can dance on all your graves" -- Terrence Garvin to Kerry

I'm not watching matches, but I've also come across quite a few that look good on paper. This yearbook is going to be lots of fun.

Going through the 1990 USWA Texas, and so far:

* Kerry Von Erich has done a promo with late 80s Russian hair metal group Gorky Park, where he thanks them for their work in fighting communism and drugs

* In an interview on his birthday, he repeatedly calls Percy Pringle Marc Lowrance. Marc Lowrance is nowhere around. Percy finally points it out, and Kerry says, "Oh I'm sorry, you look like Marc Lowrance"

Other Kerry quotes:

* "The Texas Title belongs to me. The Texas Title belongs to us. I will fight to the death to keep it. The Soul Taker likes to stand in the back of arenas, but I'm no stepping stone. You should let me know when you're here, coward."

* "In case you're here to fight instead of talk, I will take off my shirt."

* "You mess with my brother, you mess with me. You mess with me, and you mess with me."

* "The reason I am on this microphone is because good guys don't call you, and bad guys aren't in your locker room."

* "I would rather have the Texas Title than the World title because Texas is the World Heavyweight Champion!"

Also:

* "I'm so glad that little faggot got fired" -- Chris Adams on Terrence Garvin

* "I hope they bury you next to your brothers so I can dance on all your graves" -- Terrence Garvin to Kerry

I'm not watching matches, but I've also come across quite a few that look good on paper. This yearbook is going to be lots of fun.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

That is some unintentionally funny stuff, right there. :D

Which reminds me:

WWF @ Omaha, NE - Civic Auditorium - July 16, 1990 (10,303; sell out)

Saturday Night's Main Event #27 " - 7/28/90 on NBC

Kerry Von Erich pinned Buddy Rose at 3:09 with the Tornado Punch (Von Erich's TV debut) (also aired Prime Time Wrestling - 8/6/90)

That's short and might be worthwhile to put on the set even it it's not all that great. Folks like Buddy, and it's a decent intro to Kerry leading into his win over Perfect at SummerSlam.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I've now gotten my hands on almost all of the 1990 USWA Memphis too, which so everyone knows is incredibly rare. The season in circulation from the dollar shillers is NOT the Memphis version. It is from Evansville, and is more of a "best of" from Memphis and Dallas, and is edited like crazy so you get very little of the best of either. The best thing about it is probably the local market Evansville promos, so it still has some value.

This has been a big expense and has taken a lot of time and research to get it all, but considering that most of it will be seen by most for the first time ever, I think it's worth it.

1990 will have more rare footage (from Memphis, but also a few other out of nowhere surprises) than any yearbook so far.

• 1 month later...