Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-05-01-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler & Miss Texas vs Scotty Flamingo & Sensational Sherri / Interview: Sensational Sherri

Loss

• 1 month later...

Just the post-match from Mid South Coliseum. Lawler and Miss Texas give Sherri a spike piledriver!

Cory Maclin goes to Sherri's dressing room, as she lays there in a neckbrace, and Flamingo is beside himself not believing she did this.

Sherri eeks out a promo. She says she knows people all over the wrestling world and she's going to call whoever she has to call to come after him and break his neck.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Back in April, I suggested that Lawler could have gotten away with piledriving Sherri after his cage match with Savage becuase she'd been asking for it all night long. Well, I got my wish, and that's what happens when I open my big fat mouth. A piledriver would have been bad enough, but a spike piledriver? ​God love Sherri for agreeing to take it, but she never should have had to, because it should never have been so much as thought of. If they wanted to spike someone, it should have been Raven. He's a trained male worker, and being piledriven by a woman would have given the fans of Memphis something to tease him with for the rest of his run. Kudos to him for playing the concerned pseudo-boyfriend about as well as possible, and of course Sherri is brilliant, managing to sound menacing while selling her neck beautifully at the same time. Not bad for a washed-up old broad, eh, Vince?

Right about now, I'm rooting for someone to come in and break Lawler's neck, because he deserves it, King of Memphis or not. Papa deserved to lose his time slot on WMC as well, and I'm surprised he didn't. Let an indie station deal with this kind of bullshit; as an NBC affiliate, WMC needed to present a classier image to the public. I'm aware of the ratings they would have lost if they'd done this, but the scandal that would have arisen if they'd said why they were dumping wrestling would have damaged its ratings anyway, perhaps irreparably.

On another note, Corey continues to shine as a beacon of knowledge and perspicacity. Let me get this straight: Sherri deserved to be piledriven because she interfered in a match she was a participant in? Did Corey truly forget the rules of a match he'd just called, or was he just manufacturing moral outrage for no particular reason? Whatever happened to just holding the microphone and letting the wrestlers do the talking? I used to think that that was a boring way to be an on-air personality in wrestling, but after hearing crock after crock of garbage from this man, I've changed my mind almost completely. I love Lance in SMW, but I can't wait until he leaves and comes back home to Memphis where he belongs so this imitator can go back to running tape machines on infomercials or whatever else he did before someone got the brilliant idea to put him on a wrestling show.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-05-01-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler & Miss Texas vs Scotty Flamingo & Sensational Sherri / Interview: Sensational Sherri