Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-07-06-ECW-TV] Eddie Gilbert: King of Philadelphia

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Eddie sounds more southern here than he did in Memphis or Mid-South for some strange reason.

Jay Sulli's annoyance is the wrong kind of annoyance for a segment like this. Gene Okerlund may be annoyed at the heels' actions when he films them "on location", but he never acts like he doesn't want to be there. Sulli sounds legitmately angry that he's even in this segment, which means that he's either a terrible actor or a complete unprofessional.

The only new pieces of material here are the "tax" on the people of Philly and this new brother Eddie claims to have been hiding for his entre life. The rest of this is the standard cheap heat stuff that Eddie's done a merely average job with since this whole angle started. If this kind of stuff is what we would have had if Lawler had passed the torch in Memphis, I'm glad he never did.

I like the shots with Eddie actually trying to interact with his public, who don't quite seem to know what to make of him but accept him rather cheerfully. Who knows what other crazies they might have seen on the streets during their lifetimes? A joker wearing a cape, crown, and "Love me, love my dog" T-shirt might be a welcome change of pace for some of them.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-07-06-ECW-TV] Eddie Gilbert: King of Philadelphia