Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-09-11-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bet Lawler has gotten at least as many get-well wishes as Tunney got letters and telegrams of support on behalf of Lex Luger. Lawler calls out Doink for not taking out Bret Hart. Borne wasn't leaving yet (though I suppose it was only a matter of time), which makes this turn all the more ridiculous. There were all kinds of babyfaces he could have feuded with, and with enough of a push I think there could have been interest in a Doink-Undertaker mind-games feud. We needed more of this Lawler in the WWF.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I haven't had a chance to see the SummerSlam match just yet, but based on this promo I'm more anxious than ever to do so. But first, who kidnapped the King and substituted his Memphis twin? This may be the best promo Lawler's ever cut in the WWF, and if he'd done more like this his WWF career wouldn't be seen by fans like me as a total embarrassment.

It's a bit sad that the issue for Lawler is moving away from Bret and toward the Doink character, though, because Lawler's been presented as too much of a joke for this feud to be anything but one long, bad comedy skit no matter who's in the costume. The matches may have been a bit better if it had been Borne, but hide-the-chain Lawler really isn't capable of having a decent match with ​anyone.

They teased a real feud between the two in Memphis earlier this year when Borne made an appearance at WMC as Doink, if you remember, and that's when the trigger should have been pulled. Face Lawler vs. heel Doink could have been something around the Memphis loop. The reverse, with Vince's absurdity mucking up the works, isn't worth thinking about.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-09-11-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Jerry Lawler