Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-11-14-USWA-TV] The Moondogs vignette / Interview: Doug Gilbert / Doug Gilbert and the Moondogs / Interview: Jerry Lawler & Doug Gilbert

Loss

• 2 months later...

First we get another Moondogs vignette, this time of them destroying a barn. Then, we go to the studio and Doug Gilbert does an interview before his match. He mentions that Eddie is in Philly today to wrestle Terry Funk. Hey, we should go see that match! The Moondogs end up attacking him during his match and wrapping him in barbed wire. Lawler finally makes the save with some weapons in tow. Lawler and Gilbert then do an interview hyping up a six-man barbed wire match at Mid South Coliseum.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Richard Lee promo with the Moondogs teasing a barbed wire cage match. Doug Gilbert is out, mentioning Eddie wrestling Terry Funk for a shot at Lawler's title. Moondogs attack Doug with barbed wire and Lawler is eventually out for the save. Lawler with a good promo setting up the MSC match.

This was so hot early in the year, but I'm not sure how it won feud of the year in the Observer.

• 2 years later...

I decided to watch this in three parts, starting with the attack on Doug. It wasn't nearly as brutal as it probably should have been, and Lawler barely got a pop for making the save. This is proof positive that the fans simply don't care about the Dogs anymore, and why should they? It's been the same thing every week, and even the horrific becomes commonplace if you see it often enough. There aren't a whole lot of places for the Dogs to go, but they should be moved down the card and a new top heel (or heels) should be brought in to go after Lawler.

Once and for all, Corey, if you don't like the way Lee and the Dogs handle their business, get into the ring and they to stop them yourself. See how far you get. Lance did a lot of the "Aw, come on, Jimmy/Billy/Dutch!" stuff too, but everyone knew he was in charge of the program and trying the best he could to keep order because it was his responsibility. All Corey's doing is polluting the ears of the audience, and although I know it'll never happen, I'd pay anything for Spotty or Spike to take their bone and bop Corey right on top of the head. It would serve him right.

The Moondog Mountain promos are too confusing and loud to really do much for me. Lee's very good, but Spotty and Spike grunting and screaming in the background negates that. I did like hoe Lee constantly warned the Dogs to stay away from the barbed wire; if it's too dangerous for Lee to allow the Dogs to fool with it, imagine what it will do to relatively normal people like Eddie and Doug.

Doug's nowhere near the promo hos brother is; in fact, I'd have rather heard a pretape from Eddie than what we got from Doug. Now I know why they put Lawler back in the feud; Doug needed a mouthpiece when Eddie was busy elsewhere.

Lawler wraps all this up with a typically great prom where he promises to show the world that Lee's blood is yellow. I liked how he reminded the Dogs that he and his various partners have damaged them more than they'd damaged him, including running off Cujo and the Big Black Dog. Still, he's about ready for new challenges, both in Memphis and elsewhere.

I can't wait to see the match between Eddie and the Funker. It's a shame that the USWA apparently did nothing with this despite the fact that this match supposedly served to determine Lawler's new number one contender, because Memphis could use some of Terry's craziness right about now.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-11-14-USWA-TV] The Moondogs vignette / Interview: Doug Gilbert / Doug Gilbert and the Moondogs / Interview: Jerry Lawler & Doug Gilbert