Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-04-15-SMW-TV] Rock & Roll Express vs Al Snow & Unabomb (Coal Miners Glove)

Loss

• 1 month later...

Nice, big crowd for this one, as it's part of the Bluegrass Brawl. The match has some edits, but there is some awesome footage. Great, sustained heat. Snow looks like a superstar in waiting. This has great heat and Snow is really fun as the heel who shows ass and hides behind his much larger, scarier tag team partner. Glen Jacobs really is a competent version of Sid. Even with the edits, this is pretty coherent and it's a great match. Don't let the gimmick fool you -- this is really a strong Southern tag that just happens to have the glove as part of the match, instead of being a match built around slow climbing. Nice spot with Morton climbing on Unabomb to get to the glove first. I wonder if the extra time would have enhanced it or taken it down a notch.

Snow and Unabomb end up winning the tag titles, and I like Snow's post-match interview talking about his 13-year path to the top quite a bit. He's not the smoothest talker, but he says all the right things, and says them convincingly.

• 4 months later...

The crowd and the fact that the match wasn't that long helped this a lot. Snow and Unabomb made a good team. Sometimes you forget how agile Jacobs is as a big man. I liked the save of the botched powerbomb to headscissors by Morton and Snow. Good match and one of the better Coal Miner's glove matches I've seen.

• 8 months later...

Jeez, talk about sustained heat ! This is always cool and add to a match greatly. Not that the work here needs anything to look better, as this is better than it has any right to be considered a green Glen Jacobs is involved. Looks like an excellent to great match in edited form, and yeah, this is more a traditionnal southern tag with a gimmick added than anything else, which is also why it's so good. Al Snow finally impresses me from the get go, he's very good as a stooging heel. Morton is still a great worker... Yes he is. One of the most fun SMW match I've seen.

• 1 year later...

What an awesome crowd. We don't get the full match, but we get a large chunk of it, with an awesome shine sequence, and a good heel control segment, too. Al is a great southern stooge but like a not-quite-as-good Candido he has an array of more modern spots that he can bring to the table, that add to the match without calling attention to themselves. Springboarding off the chair to hit Morton, the standing moonsault, etc. Chaotic finish with Morton reaching the glove but inadvertently knocking Snow on top of a prone Gibson to net the Dynamic Duo the tag titles. One of the better SMW matches you'll see.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-04-15-SMW-TV] Rock & Roll Express vs Al Snow & Unabomb (Coal Miners Glove)