Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-05-19-SMW-Volunteer Slam IV] Bob Armstrong & Terry Funk vs The Gangstas (Texas Death)

Loss

• 1 month later...

It's far from terrible, but I'm not generally a fan of Texas Death matches with too many pinfalls because regular one-fall matches are never that short. This is a really strangely laid out match, but Funk's body language in his selling is second to none. This is famous for the angle at the end with Cornette throwing fire and turning on Armstrong while Funk helps beat him up. There goes the Cornette babyface run. While I like the way this was executed and realize that Cornette as a babyface is always going to have short-term value at best, I still have to complain about him pushing himself as a near physical equal to wrestlers, and I can also see this getting the wrong kind of heat and turning people off. Anyway, this sparks a variety of attempted saves and cut-offs of those saves to establish Cornette's militia. Who is Full Nelson guy?

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

The turn is well done, although obvious by this point. The announcer Chip Kessler repeating "What kind of a present is a fireball ?" again and again was quite amusing. Otherwise, he sucks.

Hey, Buchanan !

I agree Cornette is looking too strong offensively, he should only get a few shots in.

Cornette vs Bullet Bob *again*. It's obvious Cornette's booking was exhausted at this point, and the bad houses reflect it.

If Cornette was going to turn, why did they let Armstrong/Funk win?

To set up Armstrong and prove he was sincere, Cornette has garanteed he would refund everyone if Bob & Terry wouldn't win, and gave out a 50.000 $ check to Sandy Scott in advance in the case he would have to pay. Pretty clever.

• 1 year later...

I didn't hate this match, actually. It's not good, and there are too many pinfalls, but the action wasn't bad for what it was. New Jack getting counted down without getting pinned was a little on the weak side, though. I also liked the post-match angle, which is really the only way the Cornette babyface run ever could have ended. Cornette torches Bob with a fireball as his "thank you present" and his new Militia is established, with Buddy Landell and the Punisher joining in on the beatdown. This is topped off by Cornette shoving his shoe in Armstrong's mouth, as payback for having to kiss his feet some months prior.

I have a feeling this was pretty much the end of Smoky Mountain as being the top-quality promotion in the U.S. The angle itself is good but rehashing the Armstrong feud again is an indication that Cornette was running low on ideas. For the past few weeks ECW has finally started putting across a better product and has pretty much eclipsed SMW from a booking and excitement standpoint, to say nothing of the freshness of the presentation.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-05-19-SMW-Volunteer Slam IV] Bob Armstrong & Terry Funk vs The Gangstas (Texas Death)