Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-06-17-SMW-TV] Interview: Jim Cornette's Militia

Loss

• 1 month later...

The debut of GENERAL JIM CORNETTE, dressed in military gear and flanked by The Punisher and Buddy Landell. The Punisher is dropping people faster than OJ Simpson jurors. He announces someone else joining the Militia, "Freebird" starts playing and out comes Terry Gordy. I'm not a fan of this Cornette gimmick -- like, AT ALL -- but I do like him managing a stable as opposed to just a tag team. Gordy is a good pick for a territory like this where he can get by without having good matches based on rep.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Pretty sure this is another headline-grab angle by Cornette--several civilian militias were in the news at the time including the actions of one prominent militia member, Timothy McVeigh. Considering the OKC bombing was about a month prior to this, it makes this probably even more tasteless than the Gangstas push. Aside from that it's a good promo by Cornette and Landell and I do think a reinvention was necessary even if I wouldn't quite go this route.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-06-17-SMW-TV] Interview: Jim Cornette's Militia