Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-07-07-WAR-3rd Anniversary Show] Chris Jericho vs Ultimo Dragon

Loss

• 2 months later...

Such pristine quality. Jericho has the goodhelmet set, he could have used this on his WWE DVD instead of the crappy version he did use. That out of the way, why is Ultimo dressed like this? Anyway, yes, this is a really fun, if overhyped match, and probably Jericho's first real breakout singles match in Japan.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

High spot, high spot, 2.9 count, high spot, 2.9 count, high spot, "Come on, baby," high spot, 2.9 count, high spot, high spot, 2.9 count, high spot, "Come on baby," high spot, high, spot, high spot, 2.9 count, high spot, 2.9 count, high spot, 2.9 count., high spot, finish.

If this is one of the touted matches on Jericho's resume then I'd hate to see the matches that aren't. Their March match from the same year was better but only because it was less bad.

• 4 weeks later...

"COME ON, BABY!" "THIS IS IT!" "AAAAH! AW, FUCK! SHIT!" "ASK HIM!" Jericho's Iron Mike Sharpe-esque vocalizations in Japan are always fun.

Now, Jericho is *not* a guy I expect to drag a good match out of Ultimo at this point, or any other point pre-'98. And this starts off with the indy standoff spot that just hasn't aged well, no matter how cool it may have seemed at the time. That said...they ended up getting me into this. This is a match that you expect to go off the rails at any point, and aside from a couple of botches from Ultimo, it really doesn't. Jericho actually has some really well-timed dives and offense in general and I started biting on a bunch of the near-falls, particularly Dragon's la majistral cradle which was a really clever set-up. That said--this goes on WAY too long with, literally, probably ten 2.9-counts too many. I can see why people of the time would go nuts for it, and I in fact enjoyed this more than some other mid-'90s spotfests. Coming from Ultimo that is high praise indeed. Not one of the high-end junior matches of any year, but I can see it as a coming-out party for Jericho as a worker.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-07-07-WAR-3rd Anniversary Show] Chris Jericho vs Ultimo Dragon