Pro Wrestling Only

Heel Appreciation Thread

Gregor

How about a thread for heels and the things that they do?

So for some reason I recently watched Marc Mero vs. Sable. It's like a five-minute segment, about six seconds of which are wrestling, and it's great. Marc Mero leaves himself with no redeemable qualities. Random observations:

- Mero seems like he was born to be a heel. His voice is just so grating and suited to the role.

- What a touching speech! He even mentions something from two years before, which, considering that 1998 is an era of no long-term memory, must be what convinces her that he is for real.

- There was a thread here about stupidest things done by faces. No matter how touching Mero's speech is, Sable contributes to that list here because anyone could see this coming from a mile away.

- I love that little jig he does after the match. It goes really well with his music for some reason.

- I said that he leaves himself with no redeemable qualities, and I meant it, as he even finds a way to work some singing into this thing and convince everyone that he's a brutal singer.

- Then he shadowboxes! I guess that match really got his adrenaline going.

- Among wrestlers, wasn't the book on Mero that he had to be walked through stuff, that he didn't really get wrestling? He looks like he totally gets it in this bit, although there's not much actual wrestling going on.

- I don't know about 1998, but, at least in 2000, this would have been WAAAY more heelish than actually wrestling Sable.

As a spin off from a thread in the 93 yearbook, here's a little heel Doink appreciation:

Most of you guys have probably seen these two matches before, but until a week or so ago they were new to me (have I ever mentioned how bitter I am Raw was not available in Canada until 1995?):

Doink vs Jannetty

Doink vs Jannetty 2 out of 3 Falls

These are two fun matches and a pretty good showcase of Borne's talents. Definitely one of my all time fave heels.

As a spin off from a thread in the 93 yearbook, here's a little heel Doink appreciation:

Most of you guys have probably seen these two matches before, but until a week or so ago they were new to me (have I ever mentioned how bitter I am Raw was not available in Canada until 1995?):

Doink vs Jannetty

Doink vs Jannetty 2 out of 3 Falls

These are two fun matches and a pretty good showcase of Borne's talents. Definitely one of my all time fave heels.

Doink's mock crying is the most heelish thing of all time.

Bobby heenan's later body work is so well thought of by everyone now, I sometimes think people forget how great a flat-out heel he was in the AWA and WWA.

The best example of this for me is the Kaissie-Bockwinkel series in Fall 1981. The AWA was trying to re-establish Bock as the champ and decided to match him against someone even more vile than him (kaissie). The idea was to gt Bock over in that series and then the fans would accept him back as the champ again since he got it after Verne retired (FWIW fans stayed away in droves for a Bock-Raschke title defense in Minneapolis in June 1981, and Raschke was the top face in the promotion at that time).

Problem was, Bockwinkel couldn't get over with the fans for that series with Heenan coming to the ring with him because he was so incredibly hated. As such, they had to run some angles to get heenan eliminated from ringside (once via kaissie's sword, other times using "he's too hurt to come out" after he was in an earlier match on the card) so fans could get behind Bock...because they just couldn't do it with Heenan there.

Considering Kaissie was the vilest motherfucker you could imagine at the time, it was extremely impressive that Heenan was even more hated...and not in a comedy-manager way, if that makes sense.

How about a thread for heels and the things that they do?

So for some reason I recently watched Marc Mero vs. Sable. It's like a five-minute segment, about six seconds of which are wrestling, and it's great. Marc Mero leaves himself with no redeemable qualities.

I remember a RAW from around that time-- a fan held up a sign that said "Mero's finally cool".

One guy who I thought was always great as a heel was Bret Hart from 1985 to 1988. He had subtle mannerisms and a cocky attitude that you got the sense he was a heel before the bell rang. That little move where he walked around bent out at the elbows, or how he'd stand on the apron and rile the crowd up. Just good stuff overall.

Gino Hernandez was another one who just oozed heel arrogance and did all sorts of things to piss you off.

I am in the middle of watching the Four Horsemen set and I really had forgotten up till know how great a heel was Tully Blanchard was. He maybe one of the best ever to be honest. You look at him and he just has that smirk that you want to slap off him.

My favorite is when at the beginning of a jobber match he shakes his hand like he is sincere in having a clean match. Ten seconds later he is bitch slapping the poor guy in the face. He was a great wrestler and pretty underrated on the mic also.

I am in the middle of watching the Four Horsemen set and I really had forgotten up till know how great a heel was Tully Blanchard was. He maybe one of the best ever to be honest. You look at him and he just has that smirk that you want to slap off him.

My favorite is when at the beginning of a jobber match he shakes his hand like he is sincere in having a clean match. Ten seconds later he is bitch slapping the poor guy in the face. He was a great wrestler and pretty underrated on the mic also.

I kinda think Tully is to heels what Steamboat is to faces. You just can't imagine him as a good guy.