BBscout

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/26/2019 at 5:36 PM, peachchaos said:

The MTV broadcast of the Brawl to End It All is interesting. There's a YouTube commercial for an airing of both specials, so presumably they did reruns of them both at times. There's no shortage of VHS tapings of MTV, so it really seems like this has to be out there somewhere. Strange it hasn't turned up yet tbh.

They reran both numerous times, and with The War To Settle the Score as late as 1990.  I have a copy of it from then that was heavily edited so they could add in commercial breaks.  And yeah I agree, it's a big, monumental moment of history for the WWF as well as MTV but not a single moment of it has ever come up.

On 2/26/2019 at 6:00 PM, khawk20 said:

Someone should contact Tony DeLacosta about the MTV footage. He has an impressive collection of MTV original broadcasts and blocks and if anyone has it, it's probably him.

I tried awhile back and he didn't seem to have it.  Unrelated but Tony is great.  Super nice guy who will bend over backwards for you.  Maybe one of the nicest dudes I've ever traded with honestly.

On 2/25/2019 at 4:14 PM, ChuckScumm said:

holygrail.jpg

Okay, I asked retired Wisconsin indie worker RAF (Reverend Axl Future) over at DVDVR about this card and here's what he had to say:

Looks to be a Rockin' Randy card. Not the original Doink or Golga, I assume. A quick Googling shows no results, but random people say they saw Booger v. Spinks "box". I reasch out to a source, so if I hear anything I will let you know. I did stumble across the archives of the Upper Midwest Wrestling Newsletter, so that was trippy. Davis was a good guy. http://drdarindavis.com/oldsite/umwn/

He also told this unrelated but highly entertaining bit about a different promotion:

In the early Aughts, a loony money mark was active for a couple months in the Wisconsin area, and used a bunch of unemployed ex-WWF/WCW talent as well as a bunch of indie guys from the area, including your humble narrator. Wow, I made a bunch of money from this coke-addled goofus and more importantly, got a whole passel of amazing tales out of it. One night, we were in a nightclub's utility room that was serving as the locker room for this money mark's card (no advertising, about 14 people in attendance). The Fabulous Moolah was there, as well as Jim Neidhart, Sensational Sherri, Carmine the Hustler DiSpirito (who was the contact for many of the vets), some indie cannonfodder (inc. thee RAF) and Mike Shaw. Mr. Shaw always had a lot to say, and was really holding court on this night. He was telling everyone how he had asked the "promoter" if he could work early in the card because he had to get back to Michigan to get to his wrestling school in the morning, and that he had gotten his hotel moneys in cash (and how he could use any of his gimmicks, and how cold it got in Calgary, and how nice Hogan was to him, et al...). He really went on and on about his students, and no one else had much to say or the time to say it. When Shaw lumbered out of the room, there was a pregnant pause and Moolah quietly said in her Southern lilt, "Well, who is gonna teach Mike how to work?" and we all fell out. She really was a master of timing.

So this isn't a "Holy Grail" necessarily because we know this aired on tv (the 9/30/00 CMLL TV), but it is something I've always wanted to see, that I've never seen or come across a review of.

Has anyone actually seen the 2000 CMLL Aniversario main event? Casas vs Wagner, Jr. in the Leyenda de Plata finals. Is it, you know, good?

EDIT: FYI Cubsfan thinks that the TV was possibly preempted by the Olympics which is why we don't have it.

On 2/26/2019 at 11:41 AM, khawk20 said:

I'm not looking back in the thread and I may have posted about this previously in this thread, but I became aware of the existence of AWA guys wrestling a paid show at a Cereal convention circa 1988-89. The wrestlers had names given to them of cereal mascots of the day (Greg Gagne introduced as "Captain Crunch" for example). I had a line on the tape but the guy I was discussing it with worked there and it would have been a possible get-fired risk had he sent me the tape, so he didn't end up doing it. 

I lost track of him years ago, but knowing the tape exists makes me hope it somehow gets out someday. 

THE BATTLE OF BREAKFAST CEREAL

MAY 01, 1989

Legendary superstars such as Nutra Rockne, Total the Terrible and Hondo the Honeybee compete in this bizarre battle for breakfast supremacy.

Guess what's coming to the network today.

22 minutes ago, khawk20 said:

Are you fucking kidding me???!

holy shit

Yeah, it's up and while no one's dressed 100% like Cap'n Crunch, what I've seen in the first few minutes is still amazing, almost all the more so for the complete lack of effort and production values.

Ok, fess up, team. This comes out a week after khawk posts about it. Who on the board is secretly the person finding the hidden gems in the archives for the Network? 

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Ok, fess up, team. This comes out a week after khawk posts about it. Who on the board is secretly the person finding the hidden gems in the archives for the Network? 

A little bird told me about the man underneath the ring but I never thought to check. This is wild.

Man AWA must have been in some financial mess in order to do this sold show.  Especially when you have one of the sales people say something like "stories as fake as this joke over here" .  Given that it was at the Hyatt, I assume the guys were drinking in the lobby and didn't hear any of that.   Stunned that Larry Nelson could even form a sentence at the end given how nutty it is and how much of a mess he was.  

24 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Man AWA must have been in some financial mess in order to do this sold show.  Especially when you have one of the sales people say something like "stories as fake as this joke over here" .  Given that it was at the Hyatt, I assume the guys were drinking in the lobby and didn't hear any of that.   Stunned that Larry Nelson could even form a sentence at the end given how nutty it is and how much of a mess he was.  

The AWA was in bad shape by then. They officially closed in 1991 but I'm pretty sure they were dead in all but name only for at least 6 months to a year before that.  Having to do a sold show where your wrestlers dress up like breakfast cereal mascots is right up there with finding your roommate passed out in the fish tank on the cry-for-help scale.

Konnan-Juicer and I think at least one other dark match tryout that I'm drawing a blank on (maybe Kokina?) went up within a couple weeks of "wouldn't it be cool if this went up on the Network" mentions on Between The Sheets, and I think that might have happened with another release or two at well (maybe the Team Challenge Series pilot?). So I'm becoming increasingly convinced that someone involved in the archive logging and/or Hidden Gems selection process is monitoring PWO and PWO-adjacent podcasts, either specifically because we know what the super unseen stuff is or just because they happen to enjoy the content. This latest one is just too close to be a coincidence: khawk will mention the cereal show from time to time, but not remotely often, and this time it shows up a week and a half after his latest post about it?!?

If that's the case maybe this is a good time to mention that a Greg Gagne vs Ric Flair match apparently exists on film too. :)

(true story, its supposed to be a Gratchner film, a guy I used to deal with before he disappeared said he had it...Normally I would write that off as bs since he vanished but from the same guy I got a gratchner film copy of Jim Brunzell vs. Greg Gagne, which many AWA people swore up and down never happened, so I believe he actually had that other match as well.)

Not that the WWE Network has the Gratchner films in their possession...but I never thought they would have the cereal convention tape either. I would have guessed that the cereal company would have owned such footage lock stock and barrel. Fortunately that wasn't the case.