Holy Grails

BBscout

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking for additions to expand on the Puro list post-70s. This is all that's been mentioned over the years in the old thread at DVDVR and here. Granted a lot has popped up since this started, but there has to be some big ones that have been overlooked and need mentioning. Here's all there is at the moment...

Bryan Danielson vs Minoru Suzuki - NJPW 7/20/04

According to Bryan, that match wasn't taped. Doubt there's a fan cam of a random house show in 04'.

A few British ones:

The White Angel vs. Dr. Death, 1962 (famous mask match from Paul Lincoln Promotions, probably not taped)

Mick McManus vs .Jackie Pallo, 5/25/63 (McManus vs. Pallo II, said to be better than their first match)

Kendo Nagasaki vs. Count Bartelli, 3/5/66 (famous mask match, probably not taped)

Mick McManus vs. Peter Preston, 1/14/67 (Preston shoots on McManus, famous double cross finish)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've never known footage of Flair vs Rogers to be out there before

Also, I think Bruno vs Steele may be from Philly and was on an old CHV tape. There was no MSG show on that date and Bruno worked different guys there in 1970

I watched a Funk vs Watts Tri States match on youtube not that long ago

Really liked the vibe of the WCW Lucha pilot - the way they changed the presentation to hue closer to lucha TV, the venue choice seeming to match as well. Match was solid - liked Fit Finlay playing the dick outside outside the ring, he and Jericho might have had something working together there.

If the WWE's date on Flair/Rogers is accurate, then it's from Norfolk. I've found ads and newspaper results for such a match on 11/22/79, from the Scope. The paper also reported it as a Rogers win, which the footage seems to support though one person who was in attendance that night told me Flair won by DQ, and footage supports the possibility of a reverse-decision finish as well.

From what we see the match looks awesome. The standard line on Rogers is that his bad heart prevented him from working more than a minute or so at a time, but he sure looks to be going all-out here for a guy in his late 50's with health issues (though he's obviously in great physical shape as well). It was really cool to see him take Flair's delayed suplex and bump around the ring for him to the degree that he did.