Pro Wrestling Only

24/7 Roundtable Thread

Johnny Sorrow

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Hardcore one.

Patterson mentions Funk and Foley and Gene keeps talking over him and then two minutes later goes "And someone we have to mention is Mick Foley." And I swear he tosses questions at guys in the most nonsensical way.

What i like best with him is on some of the WCW stuff how defensive he gets. Like when JR brought up the 900 line once.

Might watch the Hardcore one later. Find Gene slightly frustrating as a chair, always seems to cut things off just as they are about to get going. I always get the impression that the off-air conversation is more interesting than what we are seeing.

He is curiously defensive of WCW. I just think he's not willing to tow the revisionist party line. I mean the History of Raw show was ridiculously self congratulatory, without Gene there it would have been an hour of JR, Hayes and Patterson patting themselves on the back with Road Dogg sitting respectfully in the corner.

I prefer the shows where it's only one of Hayes and Patterson plus Gene, JR and two guests. When it was DDP and Piper, Dusty and Bill Watts, DiBiase and Slaughter, or even back when JR was hosting and it was Bischoff, Lawler, Foley and Hayes.

With JR, Hayes AND Patterson it's just too one-side, too WWE's version of history, especially when the focus is on the Monday Night Wars period.

I might go back and watch some of the older ones, it's been a while. Just remember absolutely hating Mike Graham and Flair being unbearably dickish.

Only 20 minutes or so into this, but it's a lot better than expected. They've dug much deeper into the history than usual not just around the territories but there's a segment on Onita and FMW now.

Ok, every five minutes Gene tries to bring Pat Patterson in, who stubbornly no sells each and every attempt to say something positive about hardcore, but if you ignore that it's been pretty informative so far.

Forgot to mention but Jesus Christ that Mike Awesome vs. Tanaka match was the stupidest fucking thing I've ever seen.

Tanaka no-sold about 15 chair shots. And god knows how many high spots. Represented everything I never liked about ECW.

If you get a chance, watch the first WWE/ ECW One Night Stand show with the special "JBL commentary" on. It's a drunk JBL ragging on the matches and his stuff during Tanaka/ Awesome is hilarious.

If you get a chance, watch the first WWE/ ECW One Night Stand show with the special "JBL commentary" on. It's a drunk JBL ragging on the matches and his stuff during Tanaka/ Awesome is hilarious.

Yeah, except for the racism where he keeps insisting that Tanaka is his doorman. But yeah, him making fun of 2.99999999999999!!!! is pretty fun.

Yeah, except for the racism where he keeps insisting that Tanaka is his doorman. But yeah, him making fun of 2.99999999999999!!!! is pretty fun.

There was nothing racist there. He was saying that Tanaka looked liked the guy who was his doorman. It's not as if there's some stereotype of Asian Doormen in New York City.

But there is an old stereotype in cities about them traditionally having service jobs where they kowtow to white people. Laundry services, delivery boys, etcetera. When he said that, truthfully the very first thing I thought of was Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

And it's no wonder that the company was so eager to make nice with Blue Meanie after that beatdown, considering that you can hear Bradshaw ordering beer after beer after beer, all night long. They've got some balls, releasing a special feature which essentially proves that they sent JBL into the ring while intoxicated and then he legit hurt a guy.

But there is an old stereotype in cities about them traditionally having service jobs where they kowtow to white people. Laundry services, delivery boys, etcetera. When he said that, truthfully the very first thing I thought of was Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Then you were finding things that weren't there, dude. It's clearly just JBL not knowing who Tanaka is and the fact that he probably actually had a doorman who looked like Tanaka. He didn't say anything else disparaging about him, just "MY DOORMAN IS TOUGH! LOOK AT THAT!" while completely shitting on Mike Awesome the whole match.

And it's no wonder that the company was so eager to make nice with Blue Meanie after that beatdown, considering that you can hear Bradshaw ordering beer after beer after beer, all night long. They've got some balls, releasing a special feature which essentially proves that they sent JBL into the ring while intoxicated and then he legit hurt a guy.

Oh, totally. I love JBL but that was a drunk and douchey thing to do. Apparently, Foley complained about it to Vince.