Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-02-19-AJPW-Excite Series] Kenta Kobashi & Satoru Asako vs Toshiaki Kawada & Takao Omori

Loss

• 1 month later...

3 of the 4 pairings are great, and the 4th (Asako/Omori) gets the least amount of spotlight. Kawada/Kobashi was, of course, good to the last drop at this point in time. The vet vs young lion segments are also strong and drive home the 1/2 vs 1/2 booking format. I think a match with this format, worked this well, would be an easy MOTYC anywhere but All Japan.

It puts in perspective how good Kawada and Kobashi are when you see the difference in how Omori and Asako work from how they work. My early thoughts were that I wasn't sure why this was something that anyone thought was yearbook-worthy, but by the end, I understood. In addition to being a really good match, it really highlights the disparity in talent. That's not even so much an insult to Omori and Asako. It's more a compliment to Kawada and Kobashi. Uneven match, but an interesting one to watch.

They're also not really dropping tons of highspots or bombs, but the pacing makes it seem like they are killing it. Pretty cool.

Really enjoy the AJPW matches that involve the lesser names. Yeah, it makes for more predictable ending but they can be alot of fun. Asako interrupts and gets a kick in the back and one in the face for good measure by Kawada. Later Asako interferes when Kawada has Kobashi in armbar and gets a slapped around too. Finish comes with Kawada just launching Asako with the powerbomb. Kawada just had enough with him. Really good.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very interesting watch. It's amazing how a great match can be easily carried by two guys, Kawada and Kobashi. I didn't think Asako and Omori were bad by any means but it's clear who the best were. Kawada I thought edged Kobashi in this as who was better overall. That finishing run was dominated by his ass kicking.

Thought the revenge payoff spot with Omori at the end holding Kobashi back was very nicely done. Knowing Kawada's matches later on this year and now watching these earlier matches, you get a great sense of his aggression level. The throwing powerbomb looked brutal.

• 1 year later...

When I was watching AJPW TV years ago, there reached a point where I was almost more excited to see Sunny Beach or the State Patrol, just to see how they'd handle the setting, than to see another Jumbo-Misawa 6-man. So it is with the young boys in '93. As Asako matches go this isn't at the level of the Can-Ams match from '92 but he and Omori continue to show some promise, even if there are signs that the Four Corners aren't going to be replicated. Kawada fucking heaves Asako halfway across the ring with a unique-looking power bomb to finish him off.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-02-19-AJPW-Excite Series] Kenta Kobashi & Satoru Asako vs Toshiaki Kawada & Takao Omori