Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-04-09-USWA-TV] Eddie and Doug Gilbert

Loss

• 1 month later...

This segment fell flat. Eddie asks Doug to be special referee for the upcoming match at Mid South Coliseum. I can't figure out what they're trying to do with Eddie, because everyone seems annoyed by his presence. He's playing the babyface, but the announcers aren't putting him over. I guess this is around the time Jerry Jarrett started getting impatient with all the walkouts.

• 3 weeks later...

I really liked this segment. Eddie swears he is a change man but is still acting pretty heelish during the segment with Doug. Then he gives a real spirited speech at the end that is as fired up babyface as it gets but Dave Brown is still skeptical. I am interested to see where this leads to. Doug’s fire makeup was real cartoony and bad.

• 1 year later...
Eddie is out with a skeptical Dave Brown, wearing an Elvis shirt apparently for asskissing purposes. He calls Doug out, and Doug's still hot (ha!). Eddie offends Doug further by agreeing to team up with Brian Christopher. All Eddie wants is for Doug to guest-ref, since Scott Bowden and Frank Morrell got laid out on Monday. Doug begrudgingly agrees, but seems to me like he has another trick up his sleeve.

Yep, color me intrigued as to where this is going. It could be a trick from Eddie, it could be a trick from Doug, it could be a trick from both Gilberts working together, or both Gilberts could end up as babyfaces. I like the set-up. And why the hell *should* the announcers or fans trust Eddie?

I don't know how long it will last--probably not very--but this was a glimpse of the early '90s Eddie again, a compelling talker and great angle man. Doug isn't as good but he's better than he has been, though that "burn" did look like pink facepaint.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-04-09-USWA-TV] Eddie and Doug Gilbert