Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-05-14-USWA-TV] Brian Christopher kendo stick demonstration

Loss

• 1 month later...

Brian Christopher and Doug Gilbert have a kendo stick match coming up at Mid South Coliseum, and Christopher wears protective gear and takes a shot from an expert to get the gimmick over. I guess wrestling loved the headlines in '94 -- Singapore caning, Tonya Harding, OJ Simpson -- because we saw them all exploited at some point.

• 1 year later...

I never liked the USWA dumping the Southern championship name so it could have a "Unified World" title and a USWA Heavyweight title. There were three major stories dominating the news in the first part of '94, and they're the ones Weird Al sang about in his Crash Test Dummies parody. Mercifully no company saw fit to run a John Wayne Bobbitt angle. Yet.

Dave Brown doesn't seem all that comfortable with this. I wonder if he or Bob Caudle was easier to "break." Christopher brings out a caning expert to demonstrate the power of the Singapore cane on a fiberglass kidney protection device. Gilbert is laughing and smirking his way through this until he hears the smack, and then he's suddenly pretty worried.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-05-14-USWA-TV] Brian Christopher kendo stick demonstration