Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-07-12-ECW-TV] The Sandman vs Mikey Whipwreck

Loss

• 2 months later...

The crowd is starting to sound more like an ECW crowd. It is admittedly pretty cool to watch ECW evolve it into what we know it to be. Sandman is laying a beating on Whipwreck, but Tommy Cairo comes in and hits both guys with the cane.

The bleachers aren’t full yet at this point. Lots of younger members in the audience. They continue to put over how lucky Mikey is to win the TV Ttile. Mikey gets irish whipped face first into the bottom turnbuckle. Sandman pounds him and lights up a cigarette and then Cairo interferes. They were still doing DQ’s at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Did not like this at all. Sandman is sloppy and to me instead of making Mikey into a lovable underdog, he is made into someone that is always in the right place at the right time. I have always liked underdog angles better where the person is in over their head, but still is able to overcome the odds. The Cairo/Sandman feud continues to not have my interest whatsoever.

• 1 year later...

Sandman comes out to "Big Shot" by Billy Joel, which is pretty jarring. He and Woman cut a shitty nonsensical pre-match promo. Mikey takes some sick bumps and I admit I liked Sandman spiting the ECW fans by not using a chair when given the chance. That's commitment to heeling. Cairo clobbers Sandman with a cane behind the referee's back, and when the ref turns around he just sees him whacking Mikey, so it's another DQ win for the TV champ. This served its purpose, I guess. I know the ins and outs of presenting this style still need to be hammered out, but Styles needs to fucking decide if he wants to be a smartass smark announcer or a righteous babyface.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-07-12-ECW-TV] The Sandman vs Mikey Whipwreck