Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-07-15-AAA-Sin Limite] El Hijo del Santo & Octagon & Rey Misterio Jr vs Psicosis & Blue Panther & Fuerza Guerrera

Loss

• 2 months later...

Excellent match that starts off isolating each pairing -- Santo/Panther, Rey/Psicosis, Fuerza/Octagon -- with no overlap. But the exchanges are great, especially the one where Santo is riding Panther like he has him in a sleeper, but has a bow and arrow applied instead. But the rudos don't really sustain any offense at this point, so it feels like an exhibition until the second fall, which is entirely dominated by the rudos. Rey is isolated and worked over, which is appreciated in the third fall since he is the one to come through for his team. That fall is more back and forth. There is some really gorgeous high flying happening here. I appreciated the build more when this was over than I did during the match, as I kept wanting to see Rey/Panther, Psicosis/Octagon, Fuerza/Santo ... whatever mixed pairings they were willing to give us. On the formulaic side in terms of how they built from fall to fall, but still very good.

First fall feels like a series of singles matches within a six man match and guys match up exclusively. Rey looks so tiny. Santo with a really cool hurricarana to win the first fall. That was very fluid in execution. Rey gets tossed to the outside with help but doesn’t do the full rotation to land back first. Thankfully Psicosis was in position to brace his fall. Some serious height on that. Third fall has some solid action. Santo was more involved in this match compared to some of the previous six man tags.

• 2 weeks later...

Santo sure is not hiding in the shadows in this match as I thought he looked like the best wrestler of the world here. Taking it to the mat with Panther, some beautiful transition moves being fluid as fuck, mixing in some brawling, and multiple gorgeous dives. This is my favorite trios match of the year as I think all the pairings exceeded my expectations and the match had a good flow to it. Rey/Psic was able to showcase their skills and Rey was so fast in the early stages of his career. Octo and Fuerza were the lesser people but were still able to have a good matchup and I thought particularly Octogan looked better than usual. Overall superb match.

• 1 year later...

Definitely the best trios match of 1994 and I'm not sure it's not the best lucha match overall so far. This was outstanding, and I love how the pairings made for three separate styles for the first fall: some killer technical skills from Santo and Panther, Rey and Psicosis flying and bumping all over the place, and Fuerza and Octagon working some basic holds around shtick. Rey works a fine FIP segment in the second fall--he really is a complete wrestler already, and not just a spot machine. Santo then completely takes this over, taking a shitkicking in his own right before coming back to kick some righteous ass on all three rudos. Even Octagon and Fuerza step things up, as Octagon levels Fuerza with some of the quickest and most violent arm drags in history. Santo gets most of the big spots down the stretch but it's Rey who scores the pin for his team after absolutely killing Psicosis with a Frankensteiner.

• 1 year later...

Misterio had some awesome outfits over the years, and this one has to be near the top of the list. The opening fall was certainly the best as they worked hard for once. I say that as a criticism of the house style rather than the workers of AAA at the time. The Santo vs Panther and Rey vs Psicosis exchanges both impressed. One on the mat, the other in the air. The second fall was rudo beatdown as well as the first half of the tercera. A few nice dives to finish and the wicked Frankensteiner finisher. One of the better trios this year.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-07-15-AAA-Sin Limite] El Hijo del Santo & Octagon & Rey Misterio Jr vs Psicosis & Blue Panther & Fuerza Guerrera